Fully charged itaste vv discharges when connected to atomiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

My friend lent me his spare itaste vv about a month ago. All was going well until a few days ago.

I seem to have it on charge until the light goes off, indicating that it is fully charged. But when I press the fire button for the first time, the green light fades to nothing after maybe 4-5seconds. And then when I press it a second or third time the light is amber which fades if I have it pressed for more than 5 seconds or so, and then by the fourth or fifth press it is red, which also fades to colourless/no light emitted if held for say 5 seconds.

So today I unscrewed the atomiser from the battery and then tested the battery; the light remains green as long as I have the fire button pressed. It flashes green 10 times if I hold it for 10 seconds. But each time after, when I press the fire button it is still green, it does not turn to amber or red as it does when the atomiser is screwed into it. The battery works therefore.

What is going on? I don't know what atomiser it is, the tank is a Kangertech Protank II.

With the atomiser and tank connected to the battery the resistance value is showing at 2.2 I think.

I have also noticed that the voltage of the battery goes down from around 4.2V to 3.3V (the minimum voltage I can set it at) within several presses of the fire button (with atomiser and tank connected to the battery of course)

I have tried two different micro-USB cables as well, same problem, so its not the cable that is faulty.

I just tried pulling the contacts of both battery and atomiser up so that when the two pieces are connected they are touching, no joy. I took apart and cleaned the atomiser, no joy.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thank you.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
How old is the VV3? LIons have an "average" life measured in recharges. Perhaps it's just there? You did say it's your friend's backup, and you've been using it for another month...

If the battery is at end of life, the action you describe makes sense. No topper, no load other than the light, and it can still handle that. Put a load on it, and the voltage falls off quickly.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
What's the resistance of the coil in the tank? It could be a combination of a dying battery, plus the fact that the VVv3 is a variable wattage device. It'll boost the power from the battery to fire the coil depending on the resistance of the coil. It could be putting out too much power when attached to the tank in that case, but less or nothing if not attached to a tank.

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
But if the light remains brightly lit green without the atomiser then surely the battery is fine no?

With no atomizer there isn't any load so the only thing drawing power is the button light. Once you put a load on it, an atomizer, the battery doesn't retain enough charge to power up the atomizer and it fades out.

That battery, the iTaste VV, is no longer any good. It is old and worn out.

Time for a new battery.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
How do I find out the resistance?

Hold down both the + and - buttons at the same time. The higher the resistance, the more power the battery must put out to fire it. Without a topper, the battery isn't really putting out power, which would explain why it doesn't drain without a topper on it.

Killowatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Florida
Did you try 3 clicks to turn it off, wait a bit, then 3 clicks to turn back on? Just a thought. Another thought, did you screw the tank down tight? To tight will push the battery pin down and short it out. Try a small pin, pry just a little on each side, to raise the pin just a bit.

Tap'n on my S5

Last edited:

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
Sounds like it's time to feed it to Mr Bin (at the recycle center OF course. :) )
images

good luck!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Depends on how much you want to spend before you're sure you're a vaper.

You could search up another VV3 if you liked it, go to a different type of VV device, like a Spinner (and only have VV, not VW, ohm check....), look into an MVP v2.

And you might want to look into this thread:

UK Forum

for more specific info on the resources available to you, both locally and via international post.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
But if the light remains brightly lit green without the atomiser then surely the battery is fine no?

No. Or at least not necessarily. No device screwed on the VV means no load placed on the battery either. Enough battery power to drive the electronics, but not enough when the resistive load comes into play.

If it behaves very much the same when using it with the cable connected in passthrough mode then it appears the battery inside is just worn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread