ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
Coverage titled Cigarette Legally "Smokes" The Smoking Ban, from 6/12/08

Video: San Diego News 8 Video

Article: San Diego News 8 Article

notable snippets from the article:

State and city laws make it hard for smokers to find a place to light up legally. Smokers in the United Kingdom face the same challenge because of a new smoking ban there. But some clever entrepreneurs have invented an electronic cigarette that allows people to legally smoke.

The Gamucci electronic cigarette has no tobacco and no tar. It's a popular alternative to smoking in Europe... the London-based manufacturer says its product is healthier than smoking.

There's no second-hand smoke. That's what's allowing smokers back into bars and restaurants in the U.K.

Paul Walter manages a popular restaurant in the Gaslamp Quarter and likes the idea.

There's no tobacco, just nicotine.

"To allow the user to get the nicotine fix without any of the negative side effects from smoking traditional cigarettes," Zar said.

It was developed to counter the indoor smoking ban.

"The smoking ban as it came into play in the U.K. … has had a huge negative impact on the hospitality sector," Zar said.

...don't look for an endorsement from the American Lung Association. "We would say stay away from a product like that. It reinforces the smoking habit," spokesperson Kathleen Sullivan said.

Gamucci has plans to launch the electronic cigarette in the United States.

The electronic cigarette comes in several versions: high and medium nicotine cartridges and a non-nicotine cartridge for people trying to quit smoking.​

Spider

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2008
United Kingdom
I can't believe Gamucci are bringing the e-cig into US news articles - I would have thought one of the others would have beaten them to it. They obviously have a large marketing budget.

...don't look for an endorsement from the American Lung Association. "We would say stay away from a product like that. It reinforces the smoking habit," spokesperson Kathleen Sullivan said.

Why can they never see it as the lesser of two evils?

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
Why can they never see it as the lesser of two evils?
It's only the lesser of two evils if we are of value. I don't believe we have any value in their eyes except as props. This is their "War On tobacco" and it's all about winning, no matter the costs.

Yesterday I saw a (document) presentation to Virginia govt public health that included the proposal, "Set up national registry of smokers." ASH, I believe it was, published a piece including that smokers are responsible for business downturns because we're so burdensome to employers. Our breath is responsible for "indoor air pollution". We shouldn't be allowed custody of our children or any gainful employment.

What might help smokers? Not on their radar.

Last edited:

Spider

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2008
United Kingdom
It's only the lesser of two evils if we are of value. I don't believe we have any value in their eyes except as props. This is their "War On Tobacco" and it's all about winniner, no matter the costs.

Yesterday I saw a (document) presentation to Virginia govt public health that included the proposal, "Set up national registry of smokers." ASH, I believe it was, published a piece including that smokers are responsible for business downturns because we're so burdensome to employers. Our breath is responsible for "indoor air pollution". We shouldn't be allowed custody of our children or any gainful employment.

What might help smokers? Not on their radar.

It makes me sooo MAAAAAAAAD! :mad:

20ADAY

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2008
Scotland
They have had most media exposure in the Uk and have a real slick website, look like a rebranded generic item to me, but arnt they all really ;)

Cant believe the ......ed comments from the lady at the end, its look like the judgement of a non smoker, forming an opinion of something they no nothing about.

As a smoker that feels I have benefited from my e-smoking already, anything that helps stop the use of tobacco to me is a good thing...

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I read two different news stories, on two different topics, this morning that both implied the war on smoking was over. Only mop-up remains, to snuff out a few hot zones. Now it's onward and upward to obesity, particularly in the poor children who at least won't grow up smoking those dreaded cigarettes.

What's pathetic is that Big Pharma got pediatricians to say obese children as young as 8 should take cholesterol lowering drugs. This morning's story said Big Pharma was creating new flavors kids will love. Wow! Imagine the size of that market. Fat profits, for sure.

Wait till they find out about our flavored cartridges ...

20ADAY

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2008
Scotland
I think your right Bob, if Big Business realizes about e-smoking and thinks they can exploit a big market, they will steam roller right into the sector... Governments can always help their corporate friends by banning interim sales and creating legislation that lets Big Pharma etc, stroll right in and cosume the sector..

ned Zeppelin

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2008
uk
They have had most media exposure in the Uk and have a real slick website, look like a rebranded generic item to me, but arnt they all really ;)

Cant believe the ......ed comments from the lady at the end, its look like the judgement of a non smoker, forming an opinion of something they no nothing about.

As a smoker that feels I have benefited from my e-smoking already, anything that helps stop the use of tobacco to me is a good thing...

I totally agree with you -rich businessmen go to China getting manufactured in China then ship it back to the UK
The most annoying thing about this is that some so-called UK manufacturers and the majority of suppliers have never even smoked a cigarette I personally know this because I have spoken to majority of them.
There are few genuine suppliers in the UK and we all know who they are. Who we can truly trust not mention no names but you all know who I mean.
There are also suppliers in the UK which have had their own brand name stamped on the goods. But they don't claim to be the manufacture. Which there is nothing wrong with doing this as they're only trying to genuinely get this recognized to promote electronic cigarette in the UK.
The one only good thing you can say about these so-called UK manufacturers is that they are publicising this quite well which hopefully everybody will benefit from. It's just a shame that they can't back this up with a far superior product which has been designed and made by British engineers. But I suppose those days have gone. When we all used to see-made in Great Britain are a thing of the past. Years ago if you saw a product which had made in Great Britain or made in the USA you always knew that you were getting a quality product. As a musician I always played American products because they were the world leader far as I was concerned. Now most of these are made in China especially chrome stands. America always produced the best chrome and that now seems to have died . Which is such a shame. Example look at all the old American cars. Anyway I won't bore you any more that's just my opinion

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
I've seen statements twice where the American Cancer Society is against any e-smoking -- addressed by its name. This is not an alternative they will endorse. Expect them as hostile witnesses before the FDA when the time comes.
Unless they cut a deal where they get paid for an endorsement - as they did with some pharma NRT in one of their many "corporate cancer industry" partnerships. Then you'll see a change in tune. But so far we have no players in such a position.

The primary activity of the American Cancer Society is to raise money for the American Cancer Society. That conclusion is well supported by numerous charity ratings groups. They're like US Senators who have to raise 10k every day to fund their re-election campaign so that's what they do instead of running the country.

We. Aren't. Of. Value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread