Gary from eCigology reviews the ProVari

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiercemoose

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
Today was one of the most exciting days in vaping I’ve had in a while… My brand spanking new ProVari finally arrived in the mail! I have been on pins and needles waiting for this thing to show up (checking the online tracking every hour or so) and could hardly wait to get home from work once I saw that it was in town.

So… I grabbed the mail, ran in the front door, tore open the box and stood in awe at the beauty that lay before me. It wasn’t more than a couple minutes before I had one battery inside the unit and one on the charger, an atomizer screwed on and I was vaping away like a steam engine in sub-zero temperatures.

Ok. Before I give too much away too soon let me get on to the official format. Here is my review of the ProVari after only several hours of ownership. I’ll check back in after a day or two and let you hear my thoughts at that point as well.

First Impressions

Like I said earlier, when I opened the box I was in awe of the beauty of this thing. It is gorgeous. It screams quality. When I went to unscrew the endcap to put the battery inside, I swear I had never felt two machined pieces of metal glide so incredibly smoothly against each other. It was like they greased the threads with butter. Absolutely awesome.

The Build Quality

The unit is heavy, and rightfully so – it’s made of stainless steel – and seems to be perfectly balanced from front to back. It feels very comfortable in the hand. The activation button is made of hard rubber or soft plastic so it has a grippiness to it that is pleasant, but also seems durable. When you press in on the button, there is no click at all. Just a smooth, responsive and solid movement with just the right amount of spring to it. Something that impressed me about the button as well is that there is no play in it. What I mean is that it doesn’t wiggle around at all. I’ve only been using it for several hours but I can’t imagine this thing ever failing to fire when you want it to.

Something I was curious about within the first hour or so was how well it played with the various atties that I own. My eGo batteries can be a bit finicky in this area (some atties don’t sit perfectly inside or make 100% contact with the little “nub” and it means that 90% work well but the other 10% don’t work at all). Fortunately, the ProVari has had zero problems getting along with any atties I’ve tried so far. It’s obvious that ProVape engineered this unit with those sort of things in mind.

The Performance

There isn’t a soul on Earth that can argue that the ProVari doesn’t perform well. This unit is absolutely top-of-it’s-class when it comes to creating the thickest, juiciest clouds of vapor that you’ve ever seen. I am currently vaping a 2.1ohm atty at 4.3 volts (sorry for geeking out for a second there) and it is rocking my freaking socks off. I’ve heard a lot people refer to 4.3 volts as the “sweet spot” and at this point, I have to totally agree. The flavors of the juices I’ve tried are much more pronounced than they were on my 3.7 volt devices without being over the top.

In addition to the increase in flavor over an eGo (or any other 3.7 volt device), the vapor is increased quite a bit as well. If I had to estimate how much vapor this makes compared to a 2.1ohm atty on an eGo battery, I’d say it makes about 30%-50% more vapor – which is impressive considering how well the eGo can belt it out. This is expected of course, with the increase in voltage, but is impressive nonetheless.

Throat hit varies according to the voltage setting. At 4.3 volts, it is only slightly stronger than a 3.7 volt device, but at 5 volts it really gets kicked up a notch. It’s hotter, more dense feeling (like smoke feels), and generally just more intense. At 5.5 volts on this atty the flavor started tasting burnt – even immediately after dripping a couple drops – so I haven’t really cranked it up to that point and vaped it enough to explore the throat hit. To truly experience the throat hit at 5.5 to 6 volts, I’ll have to pick up some 3ohm atties. After trying all the available voltages that work with my 2.1ohm atty, I really am happiest at 4.3 so far.

The Features

If you’ve spent any amount of time reading up on this device, you already know it has virtually any feature you’d ever need. You can not only adjust your voltage up or down, but can also test the resistance of your atomizers, check the remaining battery level, power the unit on/off and turn the lights on/off. My favorite feature (besides the variable voltage of course) is the ability to check atty resistance. I have a pretty decent stash of atties laying around that have no markings on them and it’s nice to see what an atty is rated at before you decide which voltage to start with. It may be kind of a geek-centric feature, but I’m am loving it in a big way.

Final Thoughts

So obviously I love this thing. Like many variable voltage mods it performs like an absolute champ, but for me what sets the ProVari apart and really makes it worth the money are the attention to detail, the thoughtfulness that was put into it, the ton of features, and the overall craftsmanship.

Investing $150 to $200 on a vaping device is no joke. That’s serious cash for just about anybody I hang with, but I’m dead serious when I say that it is absolutely worth every penny. I would not only recommend this thing to any one of my friends looking to step up their vaping, but I may end up buying one in another color down the road. If you’ve got the dough and have even remotely considered taking the plunge into variable voltage, go get one of these right now.

It would be good to hear from other ProVari owners to see if you are having the same experience I am with this unit!

Last edited:

fiercemoose

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
What is the total battery life on the 18500 running at 4.3 volts?

I got 2 of the 18650's with my ProVari and I'm less than 24 hours in, so I'm not speaking from personal experience, but the 18490/18500 on a 3ohm atty at 4.3 volts is estimated to be just over 12 hours.

Jimi Mack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2009
Long Island
While it is a finely make unit, it does suffer greatly on battery life. Kinda reminds me of an iPhone, great specs, works fine but will not last a day in the field. Do not get me wrong, I like the unit but when you take a single 3.7v battery and try to push more than that from it, it will effect battery life.

fiercemoose

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
While it is a finely make unit, it does suffer greatly on battery life. Kinda reminds me of an iPhone, great specs, works fine but will not last a day in the field. Do not get me wrong, I like the unit but when you take a single 3.7v battery and try to push more than that from it, it will effect battery life.

My first 18650 that I put in the ProVari lasted me from 7:30pm last night until 5pm tonight of straight chain vaping at 4.3 volts on a 2.1ohm atty. There were moments where I vaped at higher voltages, but 90% of that time was spent at 4.3... To me, on a single 1600mah battery, that is pretty dang impressive. The best part is that once that battery died, I simply dropped the second one in (which took me all of 10 seconds) and I'm set for another day of vaping.

For the size and performance of the unit, I personally think that a whole day of vaping on a single battery is pretty darn good...

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places

I don't know what batteries you use, but the 18650's last hubby a full day of chain vaping plus part of the next day. I initally bought the device for myself, but due to hand problems, I couldn't take the weight. I used it for 2 days before giving it to him. I vape 5-7ml a day and the device lasted me 1 1/2 days. I have yet to have one of my other mods match that kind of longevity...and I own alot of mods.

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I went to Disneyland with my kids last month, and took my ProVari with me.

I also took along a spare 18490, as well as the fully charged 18490 inside the device.

I used a clearomizer on the device, and figured that some time during the day, I'd have to put the spare battery in.

We left the house at 8am, arrived at Disneyland around 9:30 and stayed until around 11pm. Another hour drive to get home.

I was amazed that I didn't need to change out the battery! I vapped pretty freely all over Disneyland, and wasn't questioned by a single person about what I was doing!

Pretty amazing battery life! (Most normal days, I can stick a fully charged 18490 in the ProVari and not need to worry about it. In fact, I've almost never even bothered with the battery extension and my two 18650's.

fiercemoose

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
the first thing i noticed were the threads on the end cap....just as smooth as, well..butter...lol...mine doesn't have the battery check....(my choice as i kept my beta unit)...but the features are amazing...as is the performance...:)

It's good to hear from you guys and gals who have had the ProVari for a while being so happy with it too. I was hoping that would be the case, since I'm only on day 3 and haven't really put it through the paces yet.

Anyone else out there care to share their experience with it?

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN

I don't know if suffers is the right word. True it uses one battery which means it has to boost the voltage and that will effect the mah rating and overall battery life. The alternative in a tube to get the true mah rating of the batteries is to stack em which would make it a much longer mod, I think most would rather carry a spare if needed. Considering it does boost the voltage battery life is pretty impressive imo.

Most things are a compromise, if you're looking for the ultimate battery life I have and there are BIG box mods available that use two honkin 18650s and yeah for the most part I get the true mah rating from it, days and days. For the masses though I think a 1 battery smaller tube that uses a booster would be the choice.

littlewierdo

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX - USA
Sadly my experience with the Provari hasnt been that great. When it works, it is fantastic but mine has some wonkiness to it.

However, a small disclaimer, my 18650's are the Trustfire grey variety and not the recommended IMR high drains - I have some IMRs on the way and should be here today. My suspicion is that the batteries I have cant quite put out enough juice for the Provari to step up the voltage and so what happens (I think) is the electronics get starved for power causing bizarre things like the Provari thinking the battery is dead after only a couple hours of use, one E4 error, and another error (23) that I have no clue what is.

A little tip for Provari users however, it isnt about the voltage, its about wattage.

What do I mean? Well, the resistance of your atty compounded with the voltage gives you current and watts.

So what I have found is, by using a calculator, I can dial in the exact wattage depending on the e-liquid I am vaping. For example, I like menthol a little on the hot side so I vape menthol and peppermint at around 9 watts. Fruity flavors I like a bit on the cool side at around 7.5 watts and non fruity but sweet flavors I like around 8 watts. And then this gets even more complicated because these numbers can change slightly depending on whether you are using a PG or VG based liquid and whether they contain alcohol or water (VG turns to vapor at lower temps than PG and alcohol reduces the vaping point)

This isnt a rule however so most eliquids I start at 8 watts (which is considered by many to be the 'sweet' spot) and dial it up or down slightly if required.

I highly recommend starting with 8 watts and adjusting from there... using the Provari, first measure the resistance of the atty AFTER a good hit or two (the resistance will change slightly because of the heat). Then, try setting the voltage according to the little chart I made below and see what you think...

Ohms Voltage Watts
1.3 | 3.2 | 7.87692
1.4 | 3.3 | 7.77857
1.5 | 3.5 | 8.16667
1.6 | 3.6 | 8.1
1.7 | 3.7 | 8.05294
1.8 | 3.8 | 8.02222
1.9 | 3.9 | 8.00526
2.0 | 4.0 | 8
2.1 | 4.1 | 8.00476
2.2 | 4.2 | 8.01818
2.3 | 4.3 | 8.03913
2.4 | 4.4 | 8.06667
2.5 | 4.5 | 8.1
2.6 | 4.6 | 8.13846
2.7 | 4.7 | 8.18148
2.8 | 4.7 | 7.88929
2.9 | 4.8 | 7.94483
3.0 | 4.9 | 8.00333
3.1 | 5.0 | 8.06452
3.2 | 5.1 | 8.12812

I did a couple above and a couple below the normal range of atties just in case you have any that are a bit weird...

Using the voltages that correspond to the resistance will give you the closest to 8 watts possible.

And I used this to do the math...

Ohm's Law / Watt's Law Calculator

And therein lies the one single flaw with all of these variable voltage mods, they should have a way to set the wattage, not the voltage. The reason is, the heating and cooling of the atty will change the power that goes into the atty so if the device actually monitored the resistance of the atty as you were using it and adjusted the voltage automatically to maintain the wattage you set, this would be ideal (although would require much more sophisticated electronics). This would also allow you to switch atties at any time and the device would detect the resistance change (for example, lets say you go from a 2.2 ohm to a 1.5 ohm atty) and automatically dial the voltage up or down to give you the exact same vape you had with the previous atty. No math or somewhat blind experimentation would be required on the users part to figure out what the voltage should be set at to give the same warmth you are used to getting.

And the Provari itself has a second flaw - the locking mechanism. When you are ready to stop vaping, who is going to want to push the button 9 times, wait for the LED to appear and hit the button a tenth time? Then to vape again, you have to repeat that process. They should have made the lock 3 button presses instead of 9.

All that having been said, I love the Provari. No ecig is perfect but hot dog, the Provari gets pretty damn close.

"One mod to rule them all and in the darkness, bind them"

Last edited:

BiancaMontgomery

SQUIRREL!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
North Carolina
This is a very nicely written review and I agree with it completely. I love my ProVari. :)

I can vape at least 4ml on a single 18490...all day vaping for me on one fully charged battery = vaping bliss.

The features are fantastic and I use them all, which I wasn't so sure I'd do...but there is a time and a place for each individual feature that this device provides.

It's solid, surprisingly "not huge" and nice to look at as well. It's pretty much made of awesome. :)

fiercemoose

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
Sadly my experience with the Provari hasnt been that great. When it works, it is fantastic but mine has some wonkiness to it.

However, a small disclaimer, my 18650's are the Trustfire grey variety and not the recommended IMR high drains - I have some IMRs on the way and should be here today. My suspicion is that the batteries I have cant quite put out enough juice for the Provari to step up the voltage and so what happens (I think) is the electronics get starved for power causing bizarre things like the Provari thinking the battery is dead after only a couple hours of use, one E4 error, and another error (23) that I have no clue what is.

A little tip for Provari users however, it isnt about the voltage, its about wattage.

What do I mean? Well, the resistance of your atty compounded with the voltage gives you current and watts.

So what I have found is, by using a calculator, I can dial in the exact wattage depending on the e-liquid I am vaping. For example, I like menthol a little on the hot side so I vape menthol and peppermint at around 9 watts. Fruity flavors I like a bit on the cool side at around 7.5 watts and non fruity but sweet flavors I like around 8 watts. And then this gets even more complicated because these numbers can change slightly depending on whether you are using a PG or VG based liquid and whether they contain alcohol or water (VG turns to vapor at lower temps than PG and alcohol reduces the vaping point)

This isnt a rule however so most eliquids I start at 8 watts (which is considered by many to be the 'sweet' spot) and dial it up or down slightly if required.

I highly recommend starting with 8 watts and adjusting from there... using the Provari, first measure the resistance of the atty AFTER a good hit or two (the resistance will change slightly because of the heat). Then, try setting the voltage according to the little chart I made below and see what you think...

Ohms Voltage Watts
1.3 | 3.2 | 7.87692
1.4 | 3.3 | 7.77857
1.5 | 3.5 | 8.16667
1.6 | 3.6 | 8.1
1.7 | 3.7 | 8.05294
1.8 | 3.8 | 8.02222
1.9 | 3.9 | 8.00526
2.0 | 4.0 | 8
2.1 | 4.1 | 8.00476
2.2 | 4.2 | 8.01818
2.3 | 4.3 | 8.03913
2.4 | 4.4 | 8.06667
2.5 | 4.5 | 8.1
2.6 | 4.6 | 8.13846
2.7 | 4.7 | 8.18148
2.8 | 4.7 | 7.88929
2.9 | 4.8 | 7.94483
3.0 | 4.9 | 8.00333
3.1 | 5.0 | 8.06452
3.2 | 5.1 | 8.12812

I did a couple above and a couple below the normal range of atties just in case you have any that are a bit weird...

Using the voltages that correspond to the resistance will give you the closest to 8 watts possible.

And I used this to do the math...

Ohm's Law / Watt's Law Calculator

And therein lies the one single flaw with all of these variable voltage mods, they should have a way to set the wattage, not the voltage. The reason is, the heating and cooling of the atty will change the power that goes into the atty so if the device actually monitored the resistance of the atty as you were using it and adjusted the voltage automatically to maintain the wattage you set, this would be ideal (although would require much more sophisticated electronics). This would also allow you to switch atties at any time and the device would detect the resistance change (for example, lets say you go from a 2.2 ohm to a 1.5 ohm atty) and automatically dial the voltage up or down to give you the exact same vape you had with the previous atty. No math or somewhat blind experimentation would be required on the users part to figure out what the voltage should be set at to give the same warmth you are used to getting.

And the Provari itself has a second flaw - the locking mechanism. When you are ready to stop vaping, who is going to want to push the button 9 times, wait for the LED to appear and hit the button a tenth time? Then to vape again, you have to repeat that process. They should have made the lock 3 button presses instead of 9.

All that having been said, I love the Provari. No ecig is perfect but hot dog, the Provari gets pretty damn close.

"One mod to rule them all and in the darkness, bind them"

Very helpful feedback there, Wierdo. Do us a favor and let us know how things work once you get those IMR High Drains dropped into the PV. My guess is that you are right about those being the source of any troubles, since ProVape does explain in the instructions or FAQ on their site that non-high-drain batteries can cause issues exactly like you are describing.

Shoot... if those aren't the problem, have you had it for more than a year? 'Cause they do provide a 1 year warranty on all their units as far as I know.

littlewierdo

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX - USA
Got my Provari 3 days ago (Monday) and that night noticed problems so I put in an order for high drain batts.

If those fix the problem, I can honestly say the Provari will be THE mod to have for your everyday use and the Silver Bullet will be the best backup mod.

Ugg, cant get photobucket to give me the share link option for the album of pics I uploaded of the Provari...

Oh, there is one thing I wanted to mention, the appearance and design. I have heard many say that the Provari looks ugly.

I personally like the design of the Provari. It doesnt look 'pretty' to me, it looks utilitarian (which is quite fitting really). Sure, if you put the Provari next to the Precious, well, the Precious is a much better looking ecig. But, these polished silver mods are all fantastic if you lock them up in a display cabinet and never touch it because once you fingerprint these, they dont look so pretty.

The Provari I have is the black variety which has a sort of plastic feel around the outside casing. It is a tad thinner than I care for and weighs about the same as the Silver Bullet (the Silver Bullet is about 1/4 inch thicker than the Provari and about 1/3 of an inch shorter than the Provari).

I also am not really sure how I feel about the LED display as it tends to make the Provari look like a small bomb. Luckily I dont fly or take the train so this isnt much of a concern to me.

Anyways, looking forward to dropping the high drains in tonight (they should be here in 3 hours and will take probably 8 to charge).

littlewierdo

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX - USA
A quick update...

Got replacement batteries, everything is working much better than the previous batteries I had although I am not sure what the battery life is like as I just got the batteries fully charged about 4 hours ago and have been vaping on the replacement batteries.

One other small thing that bugs me, the cutoff which is supposed to be 2.5 amps is probably closer to 2.2. What this means is, among the many things the Provari monitors is the amount of current going into the atty as a safety measure to help prevent blowing an atty. As the atty heats up, so does the current (amount of amps going into the atty) so if you set the voltage to a borderline amount (something like maybe 2.3 amps), it will often times vape fine the first hit and then subsequent hits it will cut off because the amps increase due to the lowered resistance of the atty. Not only can I not set the voltage so the amps are anything above 2.3 on the first initial hit, anything higher than say 2.15 will cause the device to shut power off after the second hit.

This is somewhat of a bummer simply because I wanted to see what 6 volts tasted like with these 2.2 ohm atties (which I should be able to do if the device truly cuts off at 2.5 amps) but the highest I can set it to is 4.9 for one hit, 4.8 for 3 hits in a row, or 4.7 for normal chain vaping.

The only cons with the device for me personally are the current cutoff (3 amps would probably be better than 2.5) and the locking mechanism I mentioned previously. Also, I think it would be better if the user selected the desired wattage instead of voltage to allow for consistency across all atties regardless of resistances, but to be fair, no ecig on the market does this and it would require some pretty tricky engineering to get the ecig to automatically adjust voltages based on wattage (primarily, cramming all of that into a small enough unit to vape on while providing 'instant on' functionality - aka. when I hit the button, I want that atty to fire up right away with as small a delay as possible).

Still, its a fantastic device that will likely become my new main PV (depending on battery life). The peeps I would recommend the Provari to (I am one of these) are those that want just a tad more out of their 3.7 volt experience but dont want anything extreme. I am personally vaping a debridged and dewicked 510 atty rated at 2.2 ohms (but measures 2.1) at 4.1 volts just dripping into the atty and it is fantastic. A full, rich flavor, an ungodly and quite frankly, unsafe amount of vapor (unsafe while driving).

While it sounds like I have been negative on it, I really do like it and in my opinion, its not a 'pretty' mod that is designed to be used a few times and sit on the shelf, its a utility device meant to be used and not shelved with a huge collection of other ecigs in some sort of display case. There is likely no other PV on the market that offers both the functionality, ease of use, speed at which settings can be changed, and most importantly, is available on the market right now to buy with only a 10 day wait (and this wait time is getting smaller and smaller every week as demand goes down).

The only mods that have the same type of functionality arent even available on the market to purchase and obtain in a reasonable amount of time (1 month from the time of order is long but reasonable imo). The only two I know of that have similar functionality are the Darwin and the Precious.

Oh, and cause I need one more thing so I can vape a few more times here at the 'puter before I go out running, I must apologize if I am getting too technical. Vaping isnt completely science and math. User experience trumps all of that. I do alot of programming and as a side hobby, engineering so I tend to be a big 'specs' guy. So dont go completely by the numbers, use them as a starting point and launch from there (that is why I recommended starting at 8 watts and going up or down from there).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread