Gatsby, about the Protege...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevergonnaleavetn

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
Actually, this message isn't only for Gatsby, y'all are welcome to read it as well ;)

Just tested the 306 atomizer on the new PureSmoker Protege. :thumbs:

Haven't dipped it yet cause I can't find a suitable vessel. Will look for a contact lens case as you suggested.

Let me preface this by saying I've never used a 306 before so I have nothing to compare it to.

The 306 on the Protege produces a thick, warm vapor. I'm getting pretty good flavor. Not as good as the 901 but better than the 401, which I just tried for the first time. This is all subject to change you understand, when I have the chance to test them all further. :) I do prefer the whistle tip of the 901 but because of the smaller diameter of the 306, I think I could easily live with this. Throat hit is good, really brings out the menthol.

I do love the size of the 306 on the Protege as it makes a nice compact device. (4 3/4 in) Should carry well in my pocket. I don't think this will ever completely replace my 901 but I do like it so far !!!

It does have a little sound or air rushing through when I draw on it, is that normal? Could be something I'm doing wrong.

Gatsby, if you haven't made up your mind yet about the Protege , let me tell you it's one sweet device. Check out my posts and others over at the PureSmoker forum

I've included a few pics for you to compare the size.

Thanks for your advice. :)

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Actually, this message isn't only for Gatsby, y'all are welcome to read it as well ;)

Just tested the 306 atomizer on the new PureSmoker Protege. :thumbs:

Haven't dipped it yet cause I can't find a suitable vessel. Will look for a contact lens case as you suggested.

Let me preface this by saying I've never used a 306 before so I have nothing to compare it to.

The 306 on the Protege produces a thick, warm vapor. I'm getting pretty good flavor. Not as good as the 901 but better than the 401, which I just tried for the first time. This is all subject to change you understand, when I have the chance to test them all further. :) I do prefer the whistle tip of the 901 but because of the smaller diameter of the 306, I think I could easily live with this. Throat hit is good, really brings out the menthol.

I do love the size of the 306 on the Protege as it makes a nice compact device. (4 3/4 in) Should carry well in my pocket. I don't think this will ever completely replace my 901 but I do like it so far !!!

It does have a little sound or air rushing through when I draw on it, is that normal? Could be something I'm doing wrong.

Gatsby, if you haven't made up your mind yet about the Protege , let me tell you it's one sweet device. Check out my posts and others over at the PureSmoker forum

I've included a few pics for you to compare the size.

Thanks for your advice. :)

All good to hear (and see). Actually in reading the pre-order thread where the 306 was mentioned I decided to pre-order a Protege too. Mine will be at my door tomorrow. Thick warm vapor sounds like the 306 with a decent power source to me. I have been toying around with the 401 again on the manual batteries (quite good actually, the EM ones last a long time) and the 306 is holding up well in comparison although that is a well seasoned 306 vs. a fairly new 401.
I find that sometimes the exposed atomizers can make a little noise, but I was also wondering whether there is the gap mentioned between the atty and the adaptor on the Protege. It kind of looks like it on your photo but I can't tell. If the gap is there it might make some noise too. Either way its good to know there isn't a problem using the adaptor with the 306.
If you need a temporary dipping vessel, I have used a bottle cap to test a new flavor in a pinch. It works fine, but there is no way to cap it so don't put too much in.

nevergonnaleavetn

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
You're gonna love the Protege. Real quality piece. Long battery life.

Yes there is a gap between the atty and adapter. Very minute, hardly noticeable but it's there. I've discovered that I don't have to draw so hard, so the noise is considerably less than before.

I've been dripping 2 or 3 drops but it doesn't seem like I get many draws (6 or 7) before I get that metallic taste signifying the need for more liquid. Does dipping allow more draw before re-dipping?

This is probably the closest I've gotten to the feel of smoking since I started vaping.
Still like my 901 for flavor though.

Let me know what you think when you get yours. I'm gonna try to find a bottle cap.

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I am actually kind of glad the gap is there. I think it should make for a good draw. I do find that you get more draws from dipping because you can let the bridge just soak up as much as it can hold without the worry of flooding the atomizer so it maximizes the liquid. Don't expect miracles although it is cleaner and easier than dripping once you get the hang of it IMO. I am looking forward to the Protege and I am hoping that I can bust out a Protege vs. SuperT comparison soon.

d0kieSmok

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Lake Katrine NY
You're gonna love the Protege. Real quality piece. Long battery life.

Yes there is a gap between the atty and adapter. Very minute, hardly noticeable but it's there. I've discovered that I don't have to draw so hard, so the noise is considerably less than before.

You can make the gap go away, I did.

just really really tighten the atty and it will push the center post in the adaptor down.

Right now my atty is touching the adaptor like on a normal 510 battery, no gap. Draw is fine, still a slight wistle if i drag too hard.

nevergonnaleavetn

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
You can make the gap go away, I did.

just really really tighten the atty and it will push the center post in the adaptor down.

Right now my atty is touching the adaptor like on a normal 510 battery, no gap. Draw is fine, still a slight wistle if i drag too hard.

The gap really doesn't bother me since I figured out I don't have to draw so hard.
Does the 510 still work since you pushed the center post down?
Weren't you worried you'd ruin the atty, Steve said just to finger tighten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread