• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Gay Teen Suicides...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerofParanoia

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2010
San Marcos, TX
So I got an email today from an organization about some gay teens that committed suicide because of bullying and one of the stories is making me a bit paranoid about moving into the apartment with this girl next semester.

Here's the link to the website I got in the email. It's some gay journalism/blog website.

Autostraddle — Gay Teens Continue Getting Bullied, Committing Suicide: Seth Walsh, 13 and Tyler Clementi, 18, September’s Latest Victims

Any thoughts on what should happen to Ravi and Mei?

Kevin Freeheart

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Live Free Or Die
If the guy was still alive, I'd say that he has a hell of a civil suit against Ravi. As far as Mei, nothing. I don't think watching something on the internet should ever be an issue. The actual act of watching it doesn't create a victim, though the recording may have.

I take a pretty hardline view on the idea that bullying should be not be criminal. As much as it's distasteful and rude, other people do not control your actions. The feelings that trigger suicide-from-bullying usually underlie the bullying itself. I also believe that every person owns their body and should be able to make their own decisions on the matter, including when to end their life.

As far as your roommate situation, I'd suggest not doing that since it's already causing you discomfort. If this is a college situation with assigned roommates, a counselor would be good to talk to. That seems like a good reason to have those arrangments altered. If it's a contractual situation, I'd still suggest that you not room with someone who makes you uncomfortable, though that can also have financial impacts that might be undesirable. But safety in your own home is part of why you have a home in the first place, sometimes that takes work to make happen.

I would PERSONALLY, though I don't suggest you do unless you're comfortable, talk to her. It's sometimes easy to find villians but I think sociopaths are extremely rare. Find out her side of the story. She might have thought it was funny and when she saw what happened, been devistated by it. Bad decisions often carry really good life lessons.

TxTrouble

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Near Dallas, Texas
I think these stories and any like them are terribly sad. I think anyone that films you (whether its pictures or videos) without your consent or knowledge should be prosecuted. It’s a major violation of privacy.
As for the people that watched the video I can’t really see they would know consent wasn’t given. How many times has a friend emailed you a link and you clicked on it?
It’s just so sad can’t we just live and let live.

PowerofParanoia

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2010
San Marcos, TX
I completely understand. Telling people how to act removes a freedom from the individual.

I took your advice though and talked to her about the link that I posted on here to that website.
She read it and sympathized with those who felt compelled to take their lives, she reassured me that something like that would never ever happen in the apartment.

I suppose that I was just overreacting a bit because I associated myself with Tyler.
I've never run into any bullying in my lifetime about my sexual orientation, but that's because I tend to hide under the radar.
I'm at a community college down here right now and I'll be transferring over to the university next semester. I'm just stressed about moving out of the house for the first time and supporting myself. That and the fear of possibly being harassed for the first time about my sexual orientation is just causing me to be a nervous wreck. I'm usually quite level-headed about this stuff.

I keep telling myself not to worry, because it's not like I go out quite often because of my lifestyle as a gamer. It's just hard not to worry.

Zapp and Roger

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
www.myspace.com
I am so disappointed in this story. I really think that 5 years max is not enough punishment for this type of violation, not to mention that the idiot furthered the humiliation by tweeting what he did. Sick ....... that deserves to rot in jail, remorseful or not (Don't YOU believe it!). I found it laughable that most news stories referred to the poster as a "friend" Jeez far from it I think. Check the tweets he made before he deleted his accounts, you will have much less sympathy for the poster. Vicious and cruel is the only way to categorize it.

Taurox

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2010
New York
It's all about capturing something on your phone showing it to your friends. In one fell swoop you humiliate someone else and elevate your status. It's the quick way to fame and popularity. It's sad, but our society has created this. I could not even imagine what it must be like in school now. Do something embarrassing and rather then a few people seeing it, the whole school would have pictures and videos. <shiver> Although if someone were to video me having sex with someone, well that would probably only boost my status hehehe.
It's sad that this happened. I tend to think that these things happened not because of the douches involved. Because there are always douche-bags involved. I think it had to be a lack of support for these kids. With nobody to turn to for support, the weight of the world tends to get a bit heavy.
T

marclap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2010
Montreal, Qc, Canada
I saw this posted on Vaporsforum, and those guys were all over bashing the poor victim and making statements to the effect that the real crime was the suicide and the kid couldn't take a joke.

All of a sudden, I feel the need to register on this forum to have a little chat with those jerks... but i'm not going to waste my precious time for those stupid .......***!

These stories affect me a lot. I recognize myself in them. I've been through all sort of stories, and one of those is the kind of story that you see in movies. I'm permanently affected. I'm still having a lot of trouble to sleep at night, afraid that it would start again. It's not about classmates making fun of me nor strangers in the streets. I came really close to commit suicide. If people around me (coworkers, extended family, etc.) would have known about this particular story, I would have done it. People keep telling me "no, you are to strong to commit suicide", but trust me, I would have done it.
Now that it's over, things are going better. I'm now living with my boyfriend (we've been together for 2 years) and I have amazing relationships with my parents and my closest friends who were there when it happened. I moved into a bigger city where no one cares about who you are which helps me a lot. But still, i'm having trouble finding sleep at night and i'm defenitely not the same again. I'm always anxious and stressed. I still think about it every single seconds of my life. I can't get this out of my mind.

Trust me my friends, this is the kind of story you don't wanna live.

P.S. Sorry if I made some mistakes... i'm french (from quebec, canada)

TxTrouble

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Near Dallas, Texas
Hi marclap
I am so sorry to hear that you have had to go through such a hard time. Its great that you are doing better now although sounds like it still really has an affect on you. I swear I am not the type of person to say this but have you thought about getting some counciling? Surely there is something you can do so you dont have to be so anzious and stressed all the time. Stay strong.

BCB

ECF Veteran
I saw this video today and was really impressed. Like the Councilman says, it gets better so we all have to stay strong until society changes--and it will!

(I can't figure out how to link it. sorry)

Joel Burns tells gay teens "it gets better"
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Fort Worth City Councilman Joel Burns reaches out to GLBT teens with a personal story and a message of hope. For more coverage, visit the following links: Fort Worth councilman offers hope to youths struggling with their sexuality | Local News ... http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/FW-Council-member--10...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread