Not open for further replies.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Just some new info on diketones I received in my e-mail today and want to pass this on.

If you haven't vaped a yogurt flavor from your local eliquid manufacture, you may just want to take a second look at the formulation of these products.

Butyric acid is the common ingredient in these yogurt flavor, the major constituent imparting the rancid and creamy flavor of cultured yogurt. Cool chemistry to think about! And to-date, no journalistic evidence exists proving the butyric acid chemical to be harmful by inhalation by itself.

"BY ITSELF" being the operative words here. Recent rummaging around the interwebs and speaking with an old UCSD professor of mine has yielded an astounding piece of literature -

Inhalation dosimetry of diacetyl and butyric acid, two components of butter flavoring vapors. - PubMed - NCBI

TL;dr (science stuffs) = Butyric Acid is a modulator of diacetyl reductase, the emzyme that breaks down diketones of many forms (think diacetyl, acetion, acetyl propionyl, etc...). If butyric acid is present in solution, it will downregulate the activity of diacetyl reductase, effectively allowing the diketones to remain in your body for longer periods of time, leaving them to their naughty business for longer periods of time (not good).

Conclusion - Butyric acid in eliquids should be safe for inhalation based upon the current literature, however its presence should be accompanied by NO DIKETONE CONTENT WHATSOEVER. This presents an increased health-risk if they are indeed present in solution.

As a result, we are adding butyric acid as our newest analyte-of-interest to the Nude Nicotine library of compounds to detect for. Our qualifications will be a requirement of non-detectable results for all 3 major diketones if the presence of butyric acid is positive.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
In light of this, I hate to impose yet another criteria on the Ejuice manufacturers, but there are definitely yogurt flavors out there with significant amounts of DA, yet no testing is being done for BA in the same juice. In fact, one supplier who has been extremely transparent offers this yogurt vape, with an arguably VERY high level of DA.

http://www.vaporshark.com/eliquid-analysis/Kilo-Kiberry-Yogurt.png

If indeed there is a synergy between BA and DA, and BA is, as you state, a common ingredient in yogurt flavors, this is certainly worthy of further discovery of information.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Okay I am totally new to this Acetoin and Acetylpropionyl and i still see many people using them to vape...
any care to tell me how harmful are this actually and is it actually negligible?

@SmokeyJoe who is the founder of this webste, wrote a very good summary article on the issue. I had NO luck searching for it here, because it is only linked to and actually hosted on another site. It would be nice if the search function could find things like this. But anyway, it's a great place to start understanding the issues, Please pass it around to your buddies in the . and here it is:

Confused about diacetyl? You should be | Vaping.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread