Status
Not open for further replies.

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
I have wanted to try a Reo for quite awhile and gdeal had been talking to me about vdrop issues and fuse options, so I had him send me his Reo so I could get a test drive and possibly trick it out while I had it.

Here is a list of the modifications I did while I had the Reo

- Mosfet switch with atty matching SS button for tact switch
- PTC Resettable fusses
- SS center pin and delrin insulator/seal
- Lowered the Reomizer 2.0 rba
- Spring from the top of a sigelei 19

Before we get into the fun stuff (pics)....I just want to say most of the mods weren't needed to reduce vdrop and were done just for fun.

I had talked to gdeal quite a bit about the vdrop issues he was having and after receiving the Reo and looking it over, the one thing that stood out to me was the spring battery contact. In stock form with a 0.8ohm coil and freshly charged and pretty new 1600mah AW 18650 I was getting ~3.72v under load measuring at the coil connection posts. Having seen spring battery contacts like the one used in the Reo have issues in other PV mod applications, it was where I wanted to start. I simply put a hot spring over the top of the stock spring and bent it so it was making good contact on the spring plate. Same coil/battery/etc and I got 3.95v under load....Thats a gain of almost a quarter of a volt. Which both myself and gdeal thought was a significant improvement.

Since I had the Reo I figured I would go ahead and trick it out a little more than just changing out a spring and adding some fuse protection, so I got gdeal to sign off on the additional mods and I went to town.

I have used both the PTC resettable fuses and low profile mini blade uses in other applications. They both have there advantages and disadvantages, but the PTC resettable fuses provide solid protection and don't need to be replaced every time they are tripped. So I used three of the PTC resettable fuses in parallel, this reduces the resistance the fusses impact on the circuit and gives protection for a dead short situation.

Since I was getting rid of the stock lever and button firing parts I decided I would make a SS center pin that was a little more solid when installed. So I used a 3mm SS screw modified for use in the Reo and made a delrin insulator/seal. once installed and tight its very solid and leak free.

I thought the Reomizer atty looked a little bit off setting up like it did so you could see the step and brass. So after some trimming and some food safe silicone to seal the threaded holes that were now open in the base, the atty sets down a bit and looks better IMHO.

Ok enough blabbing....picture time :D

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Well I like what I see right here in the modders thread. Bap, what is the source for your PTC fuses? I really like that they are small, yet not too small to solder. I got some 5A trip 2.5A load to protect ptn04050's that are through hole style but rectangular, but it would be nice to have 4x3x1mm fuses:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
Well I like what I see right here in the modders thread. Bap, what is the source for your PTC fuses? I really like that they are small, yet not too small to solder. I got some 5A trip 2.5A load to protect ptn04050's that are through hole style but rectangular, but it would be nice to have 4x3x1mm fuses:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

All that and more in the other thread....but for you asdaq

Here is the link to the fuse I used and the spec sheet is below

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
Very nicely done, bap!:thumbs: That is truly a work of art.

So, did you end up using that fancy, super low resistance (µΩ) MOSFET, or a different one?

Thanks! I think it turned out good.

The mosfet I used is linked above....I couldn't keep anything soldered to the gd small gate pad, by the time I got everything together it would always break off. I don't know that it would have made a noticeable difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread