Geek Vape Aegis Boost RBA coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liazard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2016
When I bought the Aegis Boost RBA pod, it came with 2 KA1/28 ga/1.3 ohm coils with 6 wraps and 2.5 mm inside diameter (the label said 10-15W). I followed a YouTube video and was able to accomplish the mission.

Although it also included 2 larger fused Clapton coils (3mm, 0.6 ohm, said 20-30W), I used the smaller KA1 and am happy with it, just about perfect for MTL. From what I've seen online, the Clapton coils are better suited to DL.

How do I find more of these KA1 coils? There are no coils with these specs on the GeekVape website or any of the vendors I searched. Again, please keep in mind I'm completely new to this - not even sure what KA1 or Clapton means.

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Aegis Boost comes with 0.4 ohm and 0.6 ohm coils in the kit. Both are KA1 coils. KA1 is Kanthal. These are the premade coils for the Aegis Boost.

The RBA unit for it if that is what you are using is rebuildable. You can make your own coils and install or use pre-coiled ones to replace the one in it.

Are you using the RBA unit for it?

KA1 is Kanthal wire. Clapton coils are made of multiple wires wrapped.

Liazard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2016
Yes I am talking about the RBA unit, which I have installed on the Boost. The RBA unitwunit came with two each of two types of coils. I described them in my post. My question is how to buy new ones because they don't seem to be available, even Geek Vape doesn't sell them. Alternatively, can you suggest some coils that are available that would be suitable for MTL in this device?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
You can buy pre-coiled wire in 1.3 ohm spec. Doesn't have to be from Geekvape. But you should be able to burn off and re-wick the coils you have installed several times.

Something like this at fasttech but shipping from China is a long time so try to find locally. Or just get a spool of Kathal wire in 28 guage and wrap your own.

$3.75 Authentic Ambrose Vape Kanthal A1 Pre-coiled Coil (100-Pack) - 28 AWG / 0.32mm dia. / 1.3ohm at FastTech - Free Shipping
9350801-2.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: Izan

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I thinking @MacTechVpr would be one of the best folks to ask when it comes to making your own RBA coils.

Thx M. I've never seen the wisdom of vaping mystery metal winds from even primary makers. Especially when it's so darn easy to strain a virtually perfect coil in seconds. Also, the advantage of then learning to pulse oxide such a Kanthal wind making it super durable far outweigh the imagined savings of using pre-made.

Happy to assist, as always.

Good luck. :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
@Liazard I've posted a wealth of information on the technique of strain winding on these two threads…

Tensioned Micro Coils. The next step.
#1Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!

It's easy to get one turned and started. What it's made for involves a little tweaking. But the great news is you can easily get to an incredibly powerful, tasty and repeatable heater that will perform consistently for many weeks or months with minimal maintenance.

A search with my handle and tensioned, microcoil, pin vise, oxidation, etc. will give you a good starting point. Lots of tips as well on installing, wicking, media and balancing coil or coils once made to achieve best performance. If you have difficulty with the method or on how to improve on technique, just give me a nudge.

These days I often rec starting with a single coil RDA to learn what to expect from a typical wind. Single tanks are great too but add a bit to the learning curve.

See ya out there.

Good luck. :)

airidosas252

Jan 23, 2019
Šiauliai
Bought one RBA base for my Aegis Boost too.

And do you know what - I FREAKIN HATE IT. Stock coils are MILES better than what this piece of nothingness is.
At first it was pretty fine, but flavor wasn't there. I just couldn't get the wicking right. I thought whatever, I'll play around with it for some time, maybe I'll get the hang of it.
Then maybe one or two builds - those were great. Good flavor, cotton lasted forever. But then the whole pod started leaking from everywhere. Again, I thought my wicking isn't upto the snuff. Rewicked it again and AGAIN - juice dripping out of every corner.

And after the last leaking nonsense I dropped it back into it's original packaging and went back to coilheads. Didn't look back.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@airidosas252, not every RBA is created equal. So that may be a factor as well.

You could try using Rayon for wicking to see if that helps, as some RBA's work well with only certain types of wicking over others. But you can only find out by trying thing out first.

If you could post some more info and pictures of your coil and wicking we may be able to come up with some ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread