Geekvape aegis. Heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneipen

Nov 3, 2017
Norway
Unpacked my backup aegis to day. Found out the damn thing fires up even when turned off. It dosent go full power, so i guess this can go under the radar if you bussy or cant hear the fzzzing.
I just wanna give a heads up, it could be dangerous if you are very unlucky. It will burn the coil if left with tank turned on or battery..
I guess im unlucky, hoping i will get a new one that works.
My go to aegis has been great. So, i still consider this to be a great mod that can take beating. Tho, i will remember this issue when considering geekvape mods. Its not a cheap mod, so you ecspect things to work out of the box..
:glare:
I recorded a crappy video to show the shop i ordered it. So if anyone is interrested, here it is..

sneipen

Nov 3, 2017
Norway
I tried it right after i noticed the issue, tough maybe by a slim shot it could help. But, nope. Its probably a bad wiering or board or something. I would be very suprised if firmware caused this and a update would have fixed it. Im tempted to open it up and see if i can figure it out, but cant do that if im going to ask for a replacement. :p

Reactions: stols001

EODPaul

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Ottawa Ontario Canada
I'd warranty it, though I suppose you could try the firmware update IF that doesn't affect the warranty process which I don't know why it would, but I guess anything's possible.

Anna

I'd guess that upgrading the software wouldn't affect eh warranty, as long as the only update used is from GeekVape themselves. Their firmware, from their website should be acceptable.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Either way, I have already decided to never use that mod due to the battery vent holes pointing at your face while in use.

Yeah I thought about that too. But if the battery is hot enough to vent, I seriously doubt you will be holding the mod and definitely not holding it up to your face anyway (unless you're drunk or something). When I chain vape mine, the mod starts to get warm and being a curious guy I pulled the battery out and checked the battery temperature. And so far, my Aspire 26650 4300mah has never got up to 100 degrees F yet. And the ambient temperature here is in the 70's.

Mooch would know more than I would. But I can't think of a single lithium battery would ever be in danger of venting by reaching 150 degrees F or less. But much over this (some say theirs can handle up to 212 degrees F), then you have a chance of going into thermal runaway and then it vents. I heard the standard is that the battery must hold back like 450PSI before it blows.

Besides vaping for almost four years, I also RC (for decades) which uses even higher drain lithium batteries. And I never (knock on wood) had a single battery vent on me yet. But I have seen videos on venting batteries. And I have heard horror stories out on the flying field. But I am convinced if the battery temperature is low enough, there is no chance the battery is going to vent anyway.

And to get a battery hot by vaping, the battery has to have higher internal resistance and you have to use lots of current. That means higher wattage. And usually the battery sag will have such a low voltage that most regulated mods will just shutdown anyway. Although I don't doubt that it can't happen, but just not normally.

I think most of the time vapers face (and RC too) from batteries venting is when charging. Although I can't see this happening either unless the charger over charges. Since the Aegis can't charge batteries internally, no worries there. So unless you are using batteries that can't really stay cool enough for the wattage that you are using, I don't really see a problem.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread