Geekvape Aegis Legend

The Aegis legend is a stylish dual 18650 box mod designed to be waterproof and shockproof.
Mod Style
  1. Box Mod
Retails for
Status
Not open for further replies.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
9 month review!

I want to thank Geekvape for being brave enough to manufacture a mod designed to last for years while the rest of the industry is focused on churning out shiny trinkets that can't survive their first drop on the floor. I pre-ordered my Legend and received it in June of 2018, about 9 months ago, and it's been rock solid ever since. I've dropped it on concrete, ice, and laminate floors and it bounces. Not a scratch and it's as solid as the day it arrived.

I went through 5 years of crappy mods before I found the Aegis Legend. eGo sticks (2012), joyetech eVic (2013), the Aspire Speeder (2017), not to mention all the flawed cartridge and tank systems that went with them.

The Legend shines in variable wattage "power" mode. Find your sweet spot and lock in.

Things I love:
  • the battery door has a sturdy metal deadbolt
  • all settings persist when the batteries are changed, including the lock setting
  • the rubberized grip makes this mod easy to grab and keeps it firmly in your hand
  • the mod feels like a trustworthy tool and not like a delicate electronic gadget
The battery compartment is a thing of beauty. The tolerances are so fine that I even have to remove the new battery identifying stickers to get them to slide in smoothly. That user who was moaning about his double wraps not fitting totally missed the point: the batteries are already cradled in there perfectly so don't mess it with it. If you need to label your batteries use a sharpie.

As for the topper: If you're going to use a tank, don't waste your time on bottom airflow. This tip will save you a lot of headaches. Tanks with bottom airflow always leak. Always! Liquid flows downhill and it will find a path.
And don't waste your money on replaceable pre-manufactured coil systems. They're designed to fail early and fail often and keep you locked in until the manufacturer decides to obsolete the whole system. They won't save you any hassle. Get a RBA and install a good coil once, then all you have to do is rewick it occasionally. Coils are metal and can last for a year or longer. They can be cleaned with a toothbrush or by quenching in water. It's the cotton that needs to be changed regularly and cotton is standard.

The Legend works ideally when paired with the top-airflow Geekvape Zeus line of RTAs. Then you've got a rock solid mod and a leak-proof tank for a no-hassle setup that you can depend on. For more protection add one of those rubber tank rings they give away at the vape store and you're good to go.

IMG_20190308_103432530_HDR - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
One caveat: The Legend's temperature control is useless if you need more than 40W. And nobody's gonna buy a 200W mod to run a 40W atty. But if you want good TC you get a mod with a DNA chip and pay an extra $100 because they have a patent on the only good implementation. TC is a gimmick anyway: a properly sized coil in a good topper set to the right wattage maintains its temperature through ventilation alone.

Why not? Many use high wattage devices at low to medium power levels. There are no rules that dictate one must exploit the upper wattage levels a device is able to produce. I use two 300 watts devices (LV Triade) at what I consider medium levels (~ 40 to 70 watts depending on build) not to mention the handful of other 200 watt devices I use within the same power range. With 3 cells on hand, battery life with my Triade’s are amazing. And I wouldn’t say TC is a gimmick. There is a level of complexity to setting it up properly but once dialed it can provide a very satisfying experience. But do agree that TC on the Legend needs improvements.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Why not? Many use high wattage devices at low to medium power levels.

My vehicles' speedometers have always gone much faster than I care to drive. Ability has never dictated what I do.

Meh, fair enough. People buy all sorts of stuff for all sorts of reasons and they're welcome to do so. I'll admit that I was eager to try the TC feature and even bought a pair of N80 coils just for it, then learned the hard way that it wouldn't work at the wattage I needed, even with the latest firmware. The limitation isn't even documented which kind of ...... me off. It was a case of Geekvape tossing in a half-baked feature just so they could tick another box on the product specs, and then doing their best to hide it. Anyway I've managed without it so forgive my rationalizing.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Meh, fair enough. People buy all sorts of stuff for all sorts of reasons and they're welcome to do so. I'll admit that I was eager to try the TC feature and even bought a pair of N80 coils just for it, then learned the hard way that it wouldn't work at the wattage I needed, even with the latest firmware. The limitation isn't even documented which kind of ...... me off. It was a case of Geekvape tossing in a half-baked feature just so they could tick another box on the product specs, and then doing their best to hide it. Anyway I've managed without it so forgive my rationalizing.

You’d be hard pressed getting TC to work with any device using Ni80 coils – they are not compatible with temp control.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
You’d be hard pressed getting TC to work with any device using Ni80 coils – they are not compatible with temp control.
Oh lol. You mean the TC-NI mode is meant only for pure Ni200 and my experience was most likely a result of user error? :censored: I'm gonna take that whole paragraph out of the review.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Oh lol. You mean the TC-NI mode is meant only for pure Ni200 and my experience was most likely a result of user error? :censored: I'm gonna take that whole paragraph out of the review.

That is correct. TC-Ni is meant for Nickel Ni 200 coils not Ni80. In order for TC to work efficiently the coils resistance must raise by a certain percentage for every increase in °C. Ni80 does not fall within that functional category, same with Kanthal. Try Stainless Steel, Titanium or pure Nickel Ni200. Or you can combine metals such as a SS and Kanthal Clapton type coil. As long as the coil has at least 1 TC compatible metal it should function within Temp Control.

However…I do feel that the implemented Temp Control on the Legend is one of it’s week points. It does work, but there are much better devices if TC is your objective. BUT… you will lose that ruggedness that the Legend is famous for. I like to consider it an acceptable compromise.

Last edited:

Geekvape_Official

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2017
www.geekvape.com
9 month review!

I want to thank Geekvape for being brave enough to manufacture a mod designed to last for years while the rest of the industry is focused on churning out shiny trinkets that can't survive their first drop on the floor. I pre-ordered my Legend and received it in June of 2018, about 9 months ago, and it's been rock solid ever since. I've dropped it on concrete, ice, and laminate floors and it bounces. Not a scratch and it's as solid as the day it arrived.

I went through 5 years of crappy mods before I found the Aegis Legend. eGo sticks (2012), Joyetech eVic (2013), the Aspire Speeder (2017), not to mention all the flawed cartridge and tank systems that went with them.

The Legend shines in variable wattage "power" mode. Find your sweet spot and lock in.

Things I love:
  • the battery door has a sturdy metal deadbolt
  • all settings persist when the batteries are changed, including the lock setting
  • the rubberized grip makes this mod easy to grab and keeps it firmly in your hand
  • the mod feels like a trustworthy tool and not like a delicate electronic gadget
The battery compartment is a thing of beauty. The tolerances are so fine that I even have to remove the new battery identifying stickers to get them to slide in smoothly. That user who was moaning about his double wraps not fitting totally missed the point: the batteries are already cradled in there perfectly so don't mess it with it. If you need to label your batteries use a sharpie.

As for the topper: If you're going to use a tank, don't waste your time on bottom airflow. This tip will save you a lot of headaches. Tanks with bottom airflow always leak. Always! Liquid flows downhill and it will find a path.
And don't waste your money on replaceable pre-manufactured coil systems. They're designed to fail early and fail often and keep you locked in until the manufacturer decides to obsolete the whole system. They won't save you any hassle. Get a RBA and install a good coil once, then all you have to do is rewick it occasionally. Coils are metal and can last for a year or longer. They can be cleaned with a toothbrush or by quenching in water. It's the cotton that needs to be changed regularly and cotton is standard.

The Legend works ideally when paired with the top-airflow Geekvape Zeus line of RTAs. Then you've got a rock solid mod and a leak-proof tank for a no-hassle setup that you can depend on. For more protection add one of those rubber tank rings they give away at the vape store and you're good to go.

View attachment 801991

Thank you for sharing!

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

I was just going to ask if N80 was for TC. :lol:
TC has seemed weak when I've tried it with other builds to test the claims. I got it for TC with mesh which it does great. I kind of doubt it would do good with my heavy mass Proton TC build.

Yep, I bought it to run low mass TC builds at 350°F. How many watts it can do never mattered. I bought the 2nd one for the same purpose because the 1st one worked.
It's tough, dual battery and I can change the leatherette for real leather.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
It's tough, dual battery and I can change the leatherette for real leather.
Do I remember seeing you post hand-tooled leather replacements somewhere?
Please post pix if that was you. The ones I saw were spectacular work.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I'm terribly disappointed in this mod. Had my Legend for a few months before it stopped working altogether. It's outside of warranty so can't get it replaced, won't turn on, won't connect to PC, can't update it.
Unusual, and sorry to hear it. The Aegis Legend is generally indestructible. Mine had a week where it screwed up the sensing of the battery charge, usually one cell or the other was detected as zero charge, but repeatedly re-inserting the cells was enough to get around it, then cleaning of the contacts on both the device and the cells stopped that altogether.

I bought mine in March of 2019. I've dropped it on concrete more times than I can count, and just in the past few months has the silicone around the bottom started rubbing through. It still works like a champ and the damage is only cosmetic, but I've already ordered a replacement for the simple reason that quality design needs to be rewarded. Next up: black and orange.

Why didn't I upgrade to the Aegis X? Screw that ostentatious side display. It doesn't improve the basic function and introduces an additional point of failure.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
There seems to be a very wide variety of results as far as legends go. The earlier models all got rave reviews and the “this is garbage” reviews are recently bought models. It’s possible that after they made a good device they dropped product quality to increase profits or someone is doing counterfeits.

was good but may not be anymore perhaps. Or is good but only if you get a real one might be another. This seems to be something that is going around with a lot of mods. The base problem I think is they’re black boxes and one has to trust manufacturers as to what they put in them.

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
San Fernando Valley, So-Cal
Clean the battery contacts?

Funny you mention this... I was driving with my Limited edition from 2019.. I usually leave the mod turned on in my cup holder, but one day I noticed the same exact problem. It wouldn't stay turned on! It has went away since then (knock on wood) but I wouldn't be surprised if it came back. No problems with the OG with the Aegis Tank tho.

Best of Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread