Geekvape Aegis Legend

The Aegis legend is a stylish dual 18650 box mod designed to be waterproof and shockproof.
Mod Style
  1. Box Mod
Retails for
Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I was really excited about buying the new Geekvape aegis legend until I discovered the reviews regarding problems with battery life, the screen backlight & difficulty upgrading. It's been a total buzz-kill for me. I won't be taking a chance on this one, now or maybe ever. #Too iffy.

The backlight is fixed with the update (except for a flash coming out of sleep while in stealth). Difficulty upgrading seems to be don't throw away your USB cord unless you're sure you have a data cord that fits.

Battery life is real as far as I can tell. I do TC and I'm doing TC mesh so it's lower Ω than my usual and I'm sure that isn't helping. I tend to get a good long day (I don't change batteries sooner than 24hrs from the last time). If you go out on the job for days and want 48hrs on a set of batteries I could see ~24hrs being a deal breaker.

I'm not so sure the claims about TC/TCR not firing above 40w no matter where it's set are true (pictures will follow). Does it act like other TC mods I have? No, it is slower on higher mass builds and seems to not have a way to speed it up.
It is reliable at reading and firing exotic TC builds without burning which is my main reason for wanting TC.
I've just about talked myself into buying another.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Does the Aegis Legend never fire in TCR above 40w?
Myth busted in .04 seconds on a cold mesh coil. 60.6w with a 75w setting.
TCR 75w 19 01.jpg

Same mesh coil with a 200w setting. Warm coil only cooled long enough to change the wattage setting (it never hit 60.6w again with the 75w setting after warming up), 59.4w. And 43.3w later in that same puff, which it never did get over the high 30's during a puff at the 75w setting.
TCR 200w 19 02.jpg

At the 200w setting I did see 40's sometimes, at 75w only at that first puff on a cold coil.
That's with low mass 316L mesh and a 088TCR value.

Dual coil 316L .32Ω.
TCR-111 200w cold coils
59.8w at beginning of puff. Increases to 60.6w. Flashes in the 40's and 50's later in the same puff.
TCR 200w 32 03.jpg

Next puff, starts in the 20's, flashes 40's during.
Next puff, starts in the 20's, flashes 40's during. Also drops to single digits for the first time during the video.

70w setting
.32 seconds into the puff, 40.2w and it stays around there for a couple seconds.
Next puff never saw 40.
Next puff got close but not quite, then dropped into single digits, climbed back up not quite to 40w.

TC-SS (supplied TCR of 112)
70w
40.3w .31 and .4 seconds in. 41w .9 seconds in.
Next puff very similar flashing 40's.

200w
Similar to 70w but stayed in 40's longer.
Next puff stayed in 40's a lot longer.
Next puff similar to the others.

It may not be doing what you expect from TC but not able to fire above 40w with wattage adjustment is not the reason. It is more aggressive with the wattage turned up, just not very aggressive.
I recommend Pbusardo's video on the Legend for an idea of why your perception of its TC is not what you expect and it seems slow in spite of cranking the wattage up. About 42 minutes in.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
How about the battery status when you use the TC mode?
Could you please take some picture or a video on the screen when in TC mode?
By the way, what is the resistance value of the coil?
Have you also tried with other tank?

Thanks in advance for your message. We will try our best to figure it out.

Best,

So, it does climb up over 40w...eventually. But first, it gets there and holds there for a second, before it starts climbing again. This is if I just hold the button and watch it. When I actually vape on it (couldn't get a good video while doing it) it still holds at right around 40w. If I let it climb past 40, before I begin to draw on it, it will continue climbing. But if I start drawing before it hits 40, it still doesn't seem to want to go above 40 (much, anyway. It will hover right around 39.5-40.5 as seen in the video before it starts climbing again. When I'm drawing on it, it doesn't start climbing again.)

liblue1

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Don't let the battery door discourage you either.... @Mouthycat .... after a few uses it loosened up so that when you push the latch release it opens easy and closing is now just as easy as pushing it and hearing the click.... it was just stiff at first.... I haven't had any issues with my lights or anything and I recently lent it to a friend and he has one on the way!!...

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Don't let the battery door discourage you either.... @Mouthycat .... after a few uses it loosened up so that when you push the latch release it opens easy and closing is now just as easy as pushing it and hearing the click.... it was just stiff at first.... I haven't had any issues with my lights or anything and I recently lent it to a friend and he has one on the way!!...

As a watchmaker I have to advise against that. This is the same closure as pocket watches have that wear out because people snap them closed.
Realistically it's not getting opened and closed as much as a pocket watch and the metal is probably harder or at least as hard, but that will wear out the catch.
Better to pull the button in, push the door closed and slide the button over.

Geekvape_Official

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2017
www.geekvape.com
The backlight is fixed with the update (except for a flash coming out of sleep while in stealth). Difficulty upgrading seems to be don't throw away your USB cord unless you're sure you have a data cord that fits.

Battery life is real as far as I can tell. I do TC and I'm doing TC mesh so it's lower Ω than my usual and I'm sure that isn't helping. I tend to get a good long day (I don't change batteries sooner than 24hrs from the last time). If you go out on the job for days and want 48hrs on a set of batteries I could see ~24hrs being a deal breaker.

I'm not so sure the claims about TC/TCR not firing above 40w no matter where it's set are true (pictures will follow). Does it act like other TC mods I have? No, it is slower on higher mass builds and seems to not have a way to speed it up.
It is reliable at reading and firing exotic TC builds without burning which is my main reason for wanting TC.
I've just about talked myself into buying another.

Thanks for your information. Really useful!
Even after you upgrade the firmware, the battery life won't last longer? What wattage do you use usually?

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Even after you upgrade the firmware, the battery life won't last longer? What wattage do you use usually?

I never tried it before update. I opened the box and updated it.

I use temperature control. Brightness at 0%. The wattage setting is 75w. .18Ω 316L 200 mesh (.060g). My usual on other mods is .5Ω 26ga 316L wire (.080g).
So I'm comparing lower Ω - lower mass, to higher Ω - higher mass. I'm not sure how those differences would affect battery life in TC.
It does seem short compared to other dual battery mods though.

What's odd is using it in stealth mode didn't increase the battery life.

Since it seems to do good with all my TC tanks/builds I guess I could swap tanks around next battery change to have a direct comparison.

Geekvape_Official

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2017
www.geekvape.com

So, it does climb up over 40w...eventually. But first, it gets there and holds there for a second, before it starts climbing again. This is if I just hold the button and watch it. When I actually vape on it (couldn't get a good video while doing it) it still holds at right around 40w. If I let it climb past 40, before I begin to draw on it, it will continue climbing. But if I start drawing before it hits 40, it still doesn't seem to want to go above 40 (much, anyway. It will hover right around 39.5-40.5 as seen in the video before it starts climbing again. When I'm drawing on it, it doesn't start climbing again.)[/QUO

Yeah, it looks strange. We will ask our technician to check it. Could you please also send the video to our Email box, support@geekvape.com? Our colleague will help to deal with the issue. Thank you in advance.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

OK, apples to apples test of the battery.
.48Ω 70w TC. Started yesterday morning to tonight, a day and a half.
177 on the puff counter with Themis .18Ω. 219 puffs with the Subtank build I've been using for years.

I'd say it passes and it was the mesh that was eating my battery time.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Yeah, it looks strange. We will ask our technician to check it. Could you please also send the video to our Email box, support@geekvape.com? Our colleague will help to deal with the issue. Thank you in advance.
I've sent the video, with a brief description. Thank you for taking the time to look into this.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I've sent the video, with a brief description. Thank you for taking the time to look into this.
They’re saying to set TCR to 90 and referred me to Daniel’s chart for more info. That chart says 92 for 316L which is what I’m using (and most common if I understand), which is pretty close to the recommended 90, but that raises the question: why is the default SS TCR value at 112 then instead of 90 or 92?

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
They’re saying to set TCR to 90 and referred me to Daniel’s chart for more info. That chart says 92 for 316L which is what I’m using (and most common if I understand), which is pretty close to the recommended 90, but that raises the question: why is the default SS TCR value at 112 then instead of 90 or 92?

What does setting the TCR down do for you? It seems to be the wattage in TC that's not as dependent on the setting as I'm used to, it's on the weaker side. I would think setting TCR down would make it even weaker.

I use 88 for new mesh, that may bet bumped to 90 as it gets broken in. I got 88 from Steam Engine's wire wizard.
112 didn't seem hot with my single wire battery test. But it's way hot with mesh.

Something (I think a video or a picture, maybe it was a dream) makes me want to say the 112 was increased with the update.
Maybe @stols001 could look to see what hers is if she still hasn't updated.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Maybe stols001 could look and she could and did and found her old lady glasses and with her newfound "intuitive knowledge" of menu systems (apparently all it took was for her husband and kid to taunt her mercilessly) and it's 105. Bit on the high side?

LOL this mad success makes her think she might even do an update. LOL.

Anna

Reactions: KC0YNU

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Maybe stols001 could look and she could and did and found her old lady glasses and with her newfound "intuitive knowledge" of menu systems (apparently all it took was for her husband and kid to taunt her mercilessly) and it's 105. Bit on the high side?

LOL this mad success makes her think she might even do an update. LOL.

Anna

I thought they moved it higher. I have no idea why I thought that since I didn't even turn mine on until the update.
I have my VTCs at 110-120 when I move them to TCR. If I could remember how to get to the TCR settings I could be sure, but I know m1 is 120.

Last time the eye Dr tried to give me a standard bifocal setting that's about 3" from not having arms long enough I said no up here, I need to see to work not read.

I thought I just had a battery problem where it shut off with half charged batteries. Forgot I had it in stealth mode. Getting old is hard.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
What does setting the TCR down do for you? It seems to be the wattage in TC that's not as dependent on the setting as I'm used to, it's on the weaker side. I would think setting TCR down would make it even weaker.
Yes, it's basically the same, except now it hits temp protection even earlier, and throttles back to 15-20w. Still a very weak vape, yes.

I hadn't used this build on another device yet, so just now I did just that. I moved the atty (Medusa RDTA) to my eVic Primo SE at 60w (single cell device, don't want to go higher), 380F, on the SS316 default setting. It's a little slow to heat up at 60w, but it got there. I don't know what the default TCR is for this device, but I tried custom TCR at 90 and 112; 90 was very weak, and hit temp protection early just like on the Aegis. 112 seemed close to what I got on the default setting.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Yes, it's basically the same, except now it hits temp protection even earlier, and throttles back to 15-20w. Still a very weak vape, yes.

I hadn't used this build on another device yet, so just now I did just that. I moved the atty (Medusa RDTA) to my eVic Primo SE at 60w (single cell device, don't want to go higher), 380F, on the SS316 default setting. It's a little slow to heat up at 60w, but it got there. I don't know what the default TCR is for this device, but I tried custom TCR at 90 and 112; 90 was very weak, and hit temp protection early just like on the Aegis. 112 seemed close to what I got on the default setting.

Have you tried the Legend with a higher TCR? (I really don't think the TCR is the issue. Just for experimentation.)

What goes into the programming for TC is way beyond me. My Proton had me questioning all kinds of things, turns out it just doesn't like anything outside of single plain coils.
Is the temperature seeming right? With the hot weather I'm having trouble getting coils set (I'm in nirvana right now so I'm not changing anything for testing). I know my dual .31Ω seemed slow the first time I put in on the Legend but when I was doing the video to get screen shots it was working fine, even sounded hot at times.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
"FOR SCIENCE!" :)

TCR 500, setting 80w, 400F. Fires at 40w and stays there. Temp reads 125F and stays there. Vape feels like 40w (weak.)

Wow! I didn't mean that high:lol:
I would've thought the way the mesh does with 112 going that far above would've been flames. (The mesh wants to burn liquid on my Cylon at the preset TCR too, I have it at 88-90 on both. I think it's such a fine gauge of individual wires it's too responsive to that first pulse.)

• Useful

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Wow! I didn't mean that high:lol:
I would've thought the way the mesh does with 112 going that far above would've been flames. (The mesh wants to burn liquid on my Cylon at the preset TCR too, I have it at 88-90 on both. I think it's such a fine gauge of individual wires it's too responsive to that first pulse.)
Well, it'd still be capped out at 80w, which is what I use in power mode, so I wasn't expecting any flames (and there were none.) TCR at 150, 180, 200, same behavior. When I have it down around 130 or below, it will do the thing where it holds 40w for a couple seconds and then starts climbing; once I get around 135+, it holds 40w for as long as I've cared to hold the button down, and never does start climbing, even when I'm not drawing on it (with the default SS setting, it holds-then-climbs when I watch it, holds-and-stays when I draw on it.)

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Well, it'd still be capped out at 80w, which is what I use in power mode, so I wasn't expecting any flames (and there were none.) 150, 180, 200, same behavior. When I have it down around 130 or below, it will do the thing where it holds 40w for a couple seconds and then starts climbing; once I get around 135+, it holds 40w for as long as I've cared to hold the button down, and never does start climbing, even when I'm not drawing on it (with the default SS setting, it holds-then-climbs when I watch it, holds-and-stays when I draw on it.)

It has to be something with how your build interacts. I've never seen mine hold and climb. I can get big initial flashes then it either drops to 20's and lower or 20's with other big flashes (I assume low liquid is determining when it sits in the single digits vs high flashes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread