Geekvape Aegis Mini vs Geakvape Aegis Solo Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So, you're a novice vaper or looking for a new mod starter kit, and you just can't decide between the Aegis Mini or the Aegis Solo, and want some help. How do they compare and how are they different? The intention of this review is to help you decide which one better suits your needs.

The Aegis Mini uses an internal rechargeable non-replaceable LiPo battery. Once the battery ages over time and dies within 2 - 3 years (or longer), the entire mod will need to be replaced. However, many folks don't like to mess with external 18650 IMR batteries, or can't afford the additional expense of buying a Li-ion battery charger to charge an 18650 IMR battery, then the Aegis Mini can offer a great solution with a built-in charger.

The Aegis Solo uses a single 18650 battery, also referred to as an external battery because it can be removed from the mod. You'll probably need to purchase a dedicated 18650 Li-ion charger for about $20. Efest LUC 2 or Xtar VP-1 would be my recommendation. The Solo does have a USB port to charge an 18650 via USB, but the silicone plug that protects it could be damaged over time from repeated removal, and this plug's integrity is important to allow the mod to be dustproof and waterproof. It could be argued that mods which use external batteries offer higher value over the life of the mod because when the 18650 batteries die, you just replace with a new one for about $5 - $7, instead of needing to buy a whole new mod like with internal battery mods.

Aegis-Mini.jpg

The Aegis Mini is pretty much like a mini version of the 100w Aegis Solo mod. The constructions are quite similar. With the Aegis Mini, you can fire up to 80W. Even though it’s got a built-in battery of 2200mAh, it’s still a bit lighter than the Aegis Solo and a bit shorter in length. If you’re travelling or a vaper that needs to carry the mod away from home too often, the Aegis Mini can be a good choice for you, as it’s a small solid mod with an internal battery charger. The 2200 mAh battery should allow most vapers several hours of vape time; it recharges quickly (about 40 minutes with a 2 amp wall adaptor) should the battery die before the end of the day.

Aegis-Solo-1.jpg

The Aegis Solo is the latest edition of the Aegis series of mods. It looks quite similar to the Aegis Mini, except that it’s a bit taller as it needs a bit more space to house an 18650 battery. And with 100 watts, its a tiny bit more powerful than the Aegis Mini, with an additional 20 watts. For me, I personally like the Aegis Solo because I can use my own favorite 18650 battery with it and charge the battery externally in a Li-ion charger.

upload_2019-5-22_15-56-41-png.816711

Aegis-legend.jpg

The Aegis Legend is the second generation of the original and now discontinued Aegis 100 series mod. Unlike the cylinder shape Aegis 100w mod, the Aegis Legend stretches out from sides and makes itself a cuboid. It uses high grade silicon, leather and alloy that contributes to better durability. The Aegis Legend mod is the most classic one for high wattage vapers. Housing dual 18650 batteries, it’s able to fire up to 200W. If you prefer to vape at high wattage, the Aegis Legend mod is a good choice for you. Be forwarned though, this is a significantly larger and heavier mod than the others and is not very pocket-friendly. It can also be difficult to hold in the hand should you have smaller or arthritic hands.

In my final analysis between the Aegis Mini and the Aegis Solo, both are great mods. I think it boils down to if you want an internal battery mod or an external battery mod. There are pro's and con's to both internal and external battery mods, so learn the difference and decide which best suits your situation. Both mods are quite similar in size, shape, and power handling. Both are dustproof, shockproof, and waterproof.

lipo-or-18650_large.jpg

Internal Battery (Lipo) or External Batteries (18650)? Which type is right for you?

I estimate I get about 12 hours of battery use with the Aegis Mini vaping at 20 watts. Estimated usage on the Aegis Solo with a single 18650 battery is all day with Samsung 30Q 3000mAh 15A at 20 watts.

If you order either the Mini or the Solo in a starter kit, it will come with Geekvape's Cerberus tank. This is an excellent tank in my opinion. However, it is what is called a sub-ohm, direct-to-lung tank. It will have a very loose draw as opposed to the more restrictive draw (like a cigarette) of a mouth-to-lung style tank. MTL tanks typically use lower wattage settings (6 - 20 watts), while DTL tanks typically use higher wattage settings (30 watts plus) and will drain your batteries faster. My settings for the Cerberus tank is 16 - 20 watts because higher than that produces a warmer vape than I prefer. Low wattage mouth-to-lung vapers can use the Cerberus tank by using a similar wattage setting as me and turning the air flow ring to nearly shut.

An alternative tank for low wattage MTL vapers would be the Zlide tank by Innokin.

full

My current, everyday setups:

• Jac Vapour series b DNA75W with original Uwell Crown clearomizer
  • Geekvape Aegis Solo with Cerberus clearomizer
  • Geekvape Aegis Mini with Cerberus clearomizer
* I have changed the original drip tips in all three tanks to Cherry Vape Cloud Chaser tips, my favorite drip tips.
** Special thank you to Carrie for supplying me with the Aegis mods for review.

Last edited:

Nancy D

May 21, 2019
New York
So, you're a novice vaper or looking for a new mod starter kit, and you just can't decide between the Aegis Mini or the Aegis Solo, and want some help. How do they compare and how are they different? The intention of this review is to help you decide which one better suits your needs.

The Aegis Mini uses an internal rechargeable non-replaceable LiPo battery. Once the battery ages over time and dies within 2 - 3 years (or longer), the entire mod will need to be replaced. However, many folks don't like to mess with external 18650 IMR batteries, or can't afford the additional expense of buying a Li-ion battery charger to charge an 18650 IMR battery, then the Aegis Mini can offer a great solution with a built-in charger.

The Aegis Solo uses a single 18650 battery, also referred to as an external battery because it can be removed from the mod. You'll probably need to purchase a dedicated 18650 Li-ion charger for about $20. Efest LUC 2 or Xtar VP-1 would be my recommendation. The Solo does have a USB port to charge an 18650 via USB, but the silicone plug that protects it could be damaged over time from repeated removal, and this plug's integrity is important to allow the mod to be dustproof and waterproof. It could be argued that mods which use external batteries offer higher value over the life of the mod because when the 18650 batteries die, you just replace with a new one for about $5 - $7, instead of needing to buy a whole new mod like with internal battery mods.

Aegis-Mini.jpg

The Aegis Mini is pretty much like a mini version of the 100w Aegis Solo mod. The constructions are quite similar. With the Aegis Mini, you can fire up to 80W. Even though it’s got a built-in battery of 2200mAh, it’s still a bit lighter than the Aegis Solo and a bit shorter in length. If you’re travelling or a vaper that needs to carry the mod away from home too often, the Aegis Mini can be a good choice for you, as it’s a small solid mod with an internal battery charger. The 2200 mAh battery should allow most vapers several hours of vape time; it recharges quickly (about 40 minutes with a 2 amp wall adaptor) should the battery die before the end of the day.

Aegis-Solo-1.jpg

The Aegis Solo is the latest edition of the Aegis series of mods. It looks quite similar to the Aegis Mini, except that it’s a bit taller as it needs a bit more space to house an 18650 battery. And with 100 watts, its a tiny bit more powerful than the Aegis Mini, with an additional 20 watts. For me, I personally like the Aegis Solo because I can use my own favorite 18650 battery with it and charge the battery externally in a Li-ion charger.

upload_2019-5-22_15-56-41-png.816711

Aegis-legend.jpg

The Aegis Legend is the second generation of the original and now discontinued Aegis 100 series mod. Unlike the cylinder shape Aegis 100w mod, the Aegis Legend stretches out from sides and makes itself a cuboid. It uses high grade silicon, leather and alloy that contributes to better durability. The Aegis Legend mod is the most classic one for high wattage vapers. Housing dual 18650 batteries, it’s able to fire up to 200W. If you prefer to vape at high wattage, the Aegis Legend mod is a good choice for you. Be forwarned though, this is a significantly larger and heavier mod than the others and is not very pocket-friendly. It can also be difficult to hold in the hand should you have smaller or arthritic hands.

In my final analysis between the Aegis Mini and the Aegis Solo, both are great mods. I think it boils down to if you want an internal battery mod or an external battery mod. There are pro's and con's to both internal and external battery mods, so learn the difference and decide which best suits your situation. Both mods are quite similar in size, shape, and power handling. Both are dustproof, shockproof, and waterproof.

lipo-or-18650_large.jpg

Internal Battery (Lipo) or External Batteries (18650)? Which type is right for you?

I estimate I get about 12 hours of battery use with the Aegis Mini vaping at 20 watts. Estimated usage on the Aegis Solo with a single 18650 battery is all day with Samsung 30Q 3000mAh 15A at 20 watts.

If you order either the Mini or the Solo in a starter kit, it will come with Geekvape's Cerberus tank. This is an excellent tank in my opinion. However, it is what is called a sub-ohm, direct-to-lung tank. It will have a very loose draw as opposed to the more restrictive draw (like a cigarette) of a mouth-to-lung style tank. MTL tanks typically use lower wattage settings (6 - 20 watts), while DTL tanks typically use higher wattage settings (30 watts plus) and will drain your batteries faster. My settings for the Cerberus tank is 16 - 20 watts because higher than that produces a warmer vape than I prefer. Low wattage mouth-to-lung vapers can use the Cerberus tank by using a similar wattage setting as me and turning the air flow ring to nearly shut.

An alternative tank for low wattage MTL vapers would be the Zlide tank by Innokin.

full

My current, everyday setups:

• Jac Vapour series b DNA75W with original Uwell Crown clearomizer
  • Geekvape Aegis Solo with Cerberus clearomizer
  • Geekvape Aegis Mini with Cerberus clearomizer
* I have changed the original drip tips in all three tanks to Cherry Vape Cloud Chaser tips, my favorite drip tips.
** Special thank you to Carrie for supplying me with the Aegis mods for review.

Thanks, this was really well done. I've been looking at the Mini for a few days. Wasn't sure if it was too much for a newbie. I'll get it when Ive got more money. :)

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread