Geekvape Aegis Solo 100W TC Kit with Cerberus Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the Aegis Solo 100W TC Kit with Cerberus tank from Geekvape. The Aegis Solo 100W TC Kit with Cerberus tank was supplied for the purpose of this review by Carrie from Geekvape.

Aegis solo

Introduction

When the original Aegis was released their was a bit of a buzz about it, almost indestructible, firing time to rival the Drag and battery options that included a 26650. Then we had more recently the Legend a dual battery version followed by the Mini with an inbuilt battery. The Aegis Solo is a single battery 100W device like the original but it's size and looks have much more in common with the Mini adding a very portable external battery device to the Aegis family. Just as tough and durable as it's brothers we find it in this kit paired up with the Cerberus tank with 0.3ohm mesh coils and 5.5ml capacity (2ml EU version), so let's give the Aegis Solo Kit a good look!

In The Box

Contents:

5.5ml Standard Edition

1 x Geekvape Aegis Solo MOD
1 x Cerberus Sub-ohm Tank 5.5ml(Pre-installed: Super Mesh X2 Coil 0.3ohm)
1 x Extra Super Mesh X2 Coil 0.3ohm
1 x Spare Regular Glass Tube 4ml
1 x USB Cable
1 x Spare Parts Pack
1 x User Manual

2ml TPD Edition

1 x Geekvape Aegis Solo MOD
1 x Cerberus Sub-ohm Tank 2ml (Pre-installed: Super Mesh X2 Coil 0.3ohm)
1 x Extra Super Mesh X2 Coil 0.3ohm
1 x Spare Regular Glass Tube 4ml
1 x USB Cable
1 x Spare Parts Pack
1 x User Manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Aegis Solo Kit came in cardboard box with sleeve packaging and once opened i was met by the familiar Aegis but shrunk down and looking almost identical to the Mini. The Solo's aesthetics are very busy due to the use of many different durable materials, making the device look as solid as it is. The materials used include, LSR Silicone, Die-Cast Aluminium, Die-Cast Zinc Alloy, Leather and Stainless Steel. I received the Black version, it' also available in Gunmetal, Red, Orange, Blue and Green, all versions apart from the Gunmetal (comes with a Gunmetal Cerberus) come with a Black Cerberus with o-rings matching the devices colour. Looking at the device from the side towards the front we have army grade black silicone, then we have a Metal bracket in the colour of choice which helps secure the leather on the spine that feels padded. The front has an hexagonal fire button at the top, at the bottom we have the - and + buttons that are also on an hexagonal vertical rocker, between the + and - buttons and fire button we have a large screen. The spine of the device as already mentioned has a leather cover which has padding underneath for comfort, the base of the device has a battery plate with fold in lever and on one side is a silicone bung for the micro USB port. Moving to the top of the device the rear is rounded and has a large 510 plate, the 510 connection is Gold plated and spring loaded. Ergonomically the Solo is superb, with the cushioned leather and position of the fire button it is very comfortable to use. The build quality is as good as it gets and the Solo is as solid as the rest of the Aegis family.

Cerberus Specs and Features:

Size: 27 x 46.8mm
Capacity: 5.5ml (TPD 2ml) (Extra 4ml regular glass tube included)
Coil Type: Super Mesh
Easy Top Filling Design with 5.5ml Large E-juice Capacity
Innovative Super Mesh Coil for Optimal Flavor
Compatible with TFV8 Baby Coils
Adjustable Bottom Airflow Control
Thread: 510
Colours: Stainless Steel, Gunmetal, Blue, Rainbow, Black

Cerberus Overview

The Cerberus Sub-ohm tank is quite a short sub-ohm tank which has a maximum capacity of 5.5ml with the bulge glass, there is also a 4ml straight glass and a TPD version which i guess will have a capacity reducing bung. The airflow control is duel cyclops with stopper and the fill method is top-fill, sitting on top is a low profile 810 drip tip with wide bore (you can fit your own 810 if you wish). The Cerberus borrows the same type of top-cap as the Zeus RTA's, so a bayonet fitting needing just a quarter turn to open or secure shut. Both top and base of the tank has nut style knurling which is as much aesthetic as not really needed for grip as all the tolerances on the tank are spot on. The Cerberus comes with 2 mesh coils which are justifiably all the rage at the moment, they are the Super Mesh X2 kanthal mesh coils with a resistance of 0.3ohm. The coils are rated at between 30w and 45w with best being between 30w and 40w, so unlike the X1 coils supplied when you buy the tank separately the X2 coils have a less broad rating and suitable for lower wattage. A big pro for the Cerberus is Baby Beast coils will fit which means there are many mainstream coils compatible with the tank.

Aegis Solo Specs and Features:

Size: 41 x 85mm
Battery: single 18650 (excluded)
Output voltage: 0.1-8V
Output wattage: 5-100W
Resistance range: 0.05ohm-3.0ohm
Mode: Power/TC(Ni,Ti,SS)/TCR/VPC/BYPASS(same as Aegis Mini)
Display: 0.96 inch
Operating temp: -20℃ - 60℃
Charger: USB 5V 1.5A
Switch timeout protection: 10s
Much lighter and smaller than other Aegis MOD
Latest AS Chipset for accurate performance and powerful output
Waterproof, Shockproof and Dust-proof for long service life
External single 18650 battery with 100W max power
Thread: 510
Colours: Black, Gunmetal, Red, Orange, Blue, Green

Waterproof, Dustproof and Shockproof.

It's a great durable mod and although no-one including Geekvape will suggest going diving or throwing the device from a 9th floor window you would have to go some to break the device by accident. Made from many different durable materials including army grade silicone it will take some knocks. The device is IP67 waterproof which means it will withstand being immersed in water up to 1 meter in depth for up to 30 mins and there's some clever ways the Solo is a fully operating device yet waterproof. When looking at the device you might think well water will get in there, there and there etc but there is a way it is kept sealed everywhere.

Fitting The Battery

The battery gets fitted via the bottom of the device, which has a removable plate with lift up lever like we have seen before on the original Aegis, Sigelei Evaya and Jackaroo to name three devices. Unscrewing the plate and screwing back on does take a bit of time that impatient people might not like but i like this method of fitting batteries as it's very secure and no risk of damaging your battery wrap. The plate has a fitted o-ring to complete the watertight seal, battery orientation is clearly marked both inside the battery tube and on the underside of the screw plate so a really good job all round!

Navigating the Aegis Solo

The Solo is the usual 5 clicks to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and it has a large bright screen with a very clear layout, it does have a tinted cover which although didn't make viewing the screen impossible outdoors it was more difficult. Their are some combination key press functions which are, + and fire together increases the brightness of the screen, - and fire together decreases the brightness of the screen and - and + together locks the device. The screen displays the mode at the top, under this the wattage (temperature when in temp control), under this the battery status bar, then the resistance, under this the amps (wattage when in temp control), then the volts (TCR value when in temp control) and finally puffs which when you vape changes to time vaped and then goes back to puffs afterwards. Pressing the fire button 3 times highlights the mode which now can be changed. When highlighted each press of the + button takes you to the next mode and if you overshoot the - button takes you back, the modes are Power, TC-Ni, TC-SS, TC-Ti, TCR, VPC (variable power curve, usually called CCW) and Bypass. If you use temp control then when the mode you want is highlighted each press of the fire button takes you to the next item on the screen you can alter, you can lock resistance and set wattage. The interface is very uncomplicated and those that have the original Aegis, Mini or Legend will be very familiar with it. The only thing i personally am disappointed with is that Geekvape stayed with the mono screen of the mini rather than reverted back to the colour screen of the Legend.

Performance

As usual i must state i do not vape in temp control or have access to data so simply review devices as a personal experience. The Solo fires instantly and performed great with all the various tanks i tried, the fire button is very clicky and the overall feel of the mod in the hand is superb. Curves worked great and all the various wattage's i vaped at certainly seemed accurate. The flavour from the supplied coils with the Cerberus was what you would expect from a mesh coil but i must say i found 40W perfect for the coil which was quite a cool vape which won't suit those that like a warm vape. I did also use the Solo with the Ammit MTL RTA and the Serpent Elevate both of which suit a single battery device and overall battery life was what i would expect but would of much preferred the device being able to accommodate a 21700. The device supports 1.5A charging but as ever i personally would only charge the battery in the device if it was my only option. Another big pro is it will accommodate up to a 28mm tank without overhang which is impressive for a single 18650 device, as you would expect the Aegis Solo is also fully firmware upgradeable.

Build Quality
Build Materials
Comfort of use
Waterproof
Dustproof
Shockproof
Fires Instantly
Solid, no rattles
Fire button nice and clicky
28mm tanks without overhang
Curves
Temp control (not tested)
Large, good layout display
Easy to use
Firmware upgradeable
Cerberus 5.5ml capacity (standard version)
Straight 4ml glass included
Good flavour with supplied mesh coils
Baby beast coil compatibility

Cons

Tinted screen makes visibility tricky outdoors
Only accommodates 18650 battery (would prefer 21700)
Cool vape with supplied coils (ok for me but many like a warm vape)
Not a colour screen as on Legend (objective)

I would once again like to thank Carrie from Geekvape for supplying the Aegis Solo 100W TC Kit with Cerberus Tank for the purpose of this review.

Aegis solo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread