GeekVape Aegis X Zeus Battery problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Information Station

Jul 11, 2020
So I just bought a kit, it doesn't come with batteries -- which I wasn't told (was led to believe it was charged through the USB port according to vape store employee). So I ordered x4 Nitecore-NL1834 18650 3400mAh 3.7 Protected Lithium Ion (Li-ion) batteries and now the door won't close. I read an old article saying that Protected 18650 can be bigger. If there's a possibility of buying batteries that cost $18 a pop shouldn't they let you know there's a chance that it won't be the right size?
Is there a trick to getting the battery lid to close or do I need to now buy unprotected 18650 batteries and hopefully get my money back on the protected batteries I bought?

Information Station

Jul 11, 2020

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks

Information Station

Jul 11, 2020
These:

Samsung 18650 Unprotected Lithium Ion Flat Top Battery

Get 2 sets... 4 batteries... marry them up 2 x 2 and don't mix them.

While you're at it, grab this:

Nitecore I2 Intellicharger 2-Bay Charger - Li-ion NiMh.. | Battery Junction

Then, one set can charge while the other set is in use.

If those cells don't suit you, look for another, but make sure that the Amp rating is above 20. The Panasonic you posted are under 5!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I was going to get that charger too. What about the Nitecore batteries I posted? Has 35A. The price is similar so could just basically swap them out without them hassling me too much for a refund.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I was going to get that charger too. What about the Nitecore batteries I posted? Has 35A. The price is similar so could just basically swap them out without them hassling me too much for a refund.
The LG HG2 and the Sony VTC6 are OK. I would avoid the others...

Here's the deal... there are only a few LiIon battery manufacturers in the world... LG, Sony, Panasonic, Samsung... any other branded battery is a rewrap... they're purchased from another manufacturer and have their label applied, BUT there's no regulation regarding what they put on the label... they can buy a 5 amp cell and slap a 50 amp rating on it.

Also look for reputable sites to buy batteries from... avoid Amazon and eBay for batteries. I think Battery Junction is OK, but I tend to use IMRBatteries.com and LiIonWholesale.com.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Hi there. Batteries can be very confusing at the beginning. Unfortunately, many vape store employees are not a good source of information. They really ought to know more about what they're selling.

Anyway, you've received good advice about the protected batteries you have. The sort of batteries that are used for vaping used to use a more dangerous chemistry, so they required protection. Then they switched to a safer chemistry. They aren't entirely safe, but the batteries we use now are less dangerous than the old protected ones were.

The other thing you need to know about 18650s is that they're not like AAs, which are more-or-less interchangeable. Some models of battery can provide more power than others. If you get a low-power 18650, it might not work at all in a vape, or it could even vent or explode when you try to use it. The most important battery specification is the CDR (continuous discharge rating). Unfortunately, some stores and many rewrapers and off-brand manufacturers lie about batteries' CDR. Those Nitecore's aren't 35A, and while VTC6s can be good batteries for vaping, they certainly aren't 30A.

There are two ways to get a fairly accurate CDR:
  1. Stick to reliable manufacturers (Sony/Murata, Sanyo/Panasonic, LG and Molicel) and get the CDR from the manufacturer, not the shop. Since batteries from these manufacturers are often counterfeited, it's also important to stick to a reliable shop.
  2. Check Mooch's tests, which @Letitia linked to above. Mooch is our resident battery expert. He conducts testing to determine the actual CDR of various cells.

Next step: Here's how you use the CDR. The top wattage you ever use in your mod should be less than:

3 x Number of batteries in your mod x CDR

Since you're using a dual battery mod, a 15A battery like the VTC6 would give you:

3 x 2 batteries x 15 amps = 90 watts

A good resource for picking a battery (and a reliable shop to buy it from) is Mooch's Recommended Batteries chart. Note the blue row, which lists some good suppliers.

Good luck!

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread