Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
She convinced me.

There was someone or other looking for a single coil build for these. My idea was to build a single coil sideways between the posts and then part the wick so it would run into both juice holes on each side. Limits coil size. Possibly too much to get enough cotton in to avoid leaking. Would also put the air inlets off center of the coil. Kind of curious to see if/how well it works.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
convinced me.
never feel convinced by a video of someone vaping, vapor production is relative subjective according the human body, lungs and plenty more, so not all of us could produce the same vapor quantity...
thats a pretty old tank, but a great one, what are ytou exactly looking for? there are new and better single coil tanks and also featuring leak proof! i have used that big ... griffin RTA and it have its things, decent enough but definitely not a tank of my collection !

Regards,

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The Griffin wasnt realy what I was looking for, I was looking for a readybuilt rta mtl single coil, simple and effective.
Found a readybuilt called an Eagle, forget why not suitable.
Could be my first case of shinnyitis. She makes the Griffin look pretty cool.
Ready built and RTA are a contradiction in terms. It’s either RBA or prebuilt coils. Occasionally there are tanks that have coils which CAN be rebuilt. They tend to be MTL and older. It actually does look pretty cool. Building allows for much greater control and much greater long term cost savings. IMHO anyone vaping for a year or longer should probably use a rebuildable unless they’re willing to foot the fairly large extra cost for the fairly minor convenience and don’t want the advantages RBAs provide.

I predict you did better than you intended.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
Just an indication... I have the Griffin 22 mm.
So, for a single coil RTA, get a Kylin mini, put a flat Kanthal Clapton in it.
Note, not the newer Kylin v2, that is a dual coil, good for its class, but the mini with its small chamber, tastes very, very good, unlike the (very) old Griffin.
Note the Griffin were sold in both 22 and 25 mm size, the big hit was the 25 mm.

• Agree
Reactions: NealBJr

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
I had both Griffins, the 22mm and 25mm, and personally speaking, I thought the 22mm was better for flavor. Unfortunately, I don't see the Griffin working with a single coil unless you do some cotton magic.

Note, not the newer Kylin v2, that is a dual coil, good for its class, but the mini with its small chamber, tastes very, very good, unlike the (very) old Griffin.
Note the Griffin were sold in both 22 and 25 mm size, the big hit was the 25 mm.

The Kylin mini won't work because he is looking for a 22mm tank, Kylin is 24mm.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014

I should have paid attention, I have this poster confused with another poster that was looking for a 22 mm tank so kylin work fun, perfect.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
The Griffin wasnt realy what I was looking for, I was looking for a readybuilt rta mtl single coil, simple and effective.
Found a readybuilt called an Eagle, forget why not suitable.
Could be my first case of shinnyitis. She makes the Griffin look pretty cool.
Could be that you looked at her boobs too long. I know i did....:lol::lol:

• Agree
Reactions: GOMuniEsq

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Well thanks "guys" could be there is change and not a small amount of confusion on my part here.
I have been buying new coils for my Nautilus and similar for so long I dont recall when I quit on rebuildables.
Anyhow my recent chnge from Nautilus 2 to Vapefly Nicolas has awoken my interest in possible improvements.

The Siren 2, 22mm tank is an awesome rebuildable MTL tank that also does conservative restricted lung hits as well.

The Hastur (original) is pretty awesome as well and has airflow inserts so you can get a nice restricted lung draw or a tighter MTL draw.

There is also the Berserker Mini 22mm tank, which is a nice single coil rebuildable MTL tank .

^^^ all the above are single coil RTA's that are easier to build on than dual coil and far more your style of vaping.

For drop in tanks there is the Zenith and the new Zlide both by Innokin who is doing well with their tanks lately. The Zeniths flavor comes out after running a tank through the new coil.

I'd almost go with the Zlide though, the coil choices look really good.

And my cup size is a D and I am far cuter than she is.. lol.. does that help you listen to me?

Reactions: GOMuniEsq

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
Digiflavor Siren 2 GTA-SS 22mm 2ml Ordered today, single coil, mtl and small type mouthpiece, are they 510?
So now I have the Griffin DL and the Siren MTL go giving rebuildable a fair chance.
Here's a thought will they fire up ok on my Aspire Zelos and istick TC40w mods?

Yes, those devices will be fine for your venture into rebuildables. What kind of wire/coil are you planning on installing in the Griffin?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Digiflavor Siren 2 GTA-SS 22mm 2ml Ordered today, single coil, mtl and small type mouthpiece, are they 510?
So now I have the Griffin DL and the Siren MTL go giving rebuildable a fair chance.
Here's a thought will they fire up ok on my Aspire Zelos and istick TC40w mods?

The Griffin will be nigh on impossible with those mods..

The siren will work fine.

Buy some 26 and 28 gauge 316l SS wire (both gauges so you can learn your preferences) and you'll be fine for the siren.

The Griffin will be a challenge, it's dual coil so if you build a 1 ohm coil your halving the resistance so it fires at .5 ohm, which is fine (albeit the lowest the Zelos will fire) but im not sure you've got enough deck space on the Griffin as if memory serves me correctly its got a small build deck.. (although its been a while since I've had one in hand)

It's going to be difficult to get it all figured out, but in order to try you'll need 30 and 32 gauge Kanthal, patience and trial and error...

Good luck.

Last edited:

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
The Griffin will be nigh on impossible with those mods..

The siren will work fine.

Buy some 26 and 28 gauge 316l SS wire (both gauges so you can learn your preferences) and you'll be fine for the siren.

The Griffin will be a challenge, it's dual coil so if you build a 1 ohm coil your halving the resistance so it fires at .5 ohm, which is fine but im not sure you've got enough deck space for the Griffin as if memory serves me correctly its got a small build deck.. (although its been a while since I've had one in hand)

It's going to be difficult to get it all figured out, but in order to try you'll need 30 and 32 gauge Kanthal, patience and trial and error...

Good luck.

If this is his first rodeo with rda's it might be best to use Kanthal instead of SS.

OP, my preferred coil in the Griffin due to the tight deck was a 24 gauge Kanthal wrapped 6 times around a 2.5mm bit. It would usually come out to around .30 ohms. 40-50 watts would be sufficient.

The main thing is it's a starting point for you.

• Agree
Reactions: kross8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread