Geekvape L200 (Legend 2) 200W TC Kit with Z Subohm Tank - Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the L200 200W TC Kit with Z Subohm tank from Geekvape. The L200 200W TC Kit with Z Subohm tank was supplied for the purpose of this review by Allison from Geekvape.

Geekvape L200

iTQA6iv.png

Introduction

Geekvape have become known over the last 4 and half years for their IP67 Aegis devices and leak resistance Zeus range of atomizers and I must admit if I was reviewing this Kit a few months ago one con would of been "not yet another Aegis" but as Geekvape have now started releasing the Obselik range and this see's many updates then I will let that one go!

The L200 AKA The Legend 2 is the updated version of the mega selling Aegis Legend which was released 4 years ago and still selling well. The Legend 2 is both smaller and lighter using more plastic on the device yet claims to have even better shock proofing, the Legend 2 also has an IP68 rating which means it can be submerged in water for even longer than the previous IP67 Aegis devices while still having the maximum dust ingress protection. We also see a Type C USB Port and improved flip open seal as well as a larger, sharper display!

In this kit we see the L200 (Legend 2) teamed up with the Z Subohm tank which apart from a new logo and branding is basically the Zeus Subohm Tank with updated larger airflow slots but apart from that and as mentioned the rebranding as in new logo on the chamber etc it looks and performed pretty much the same apart from allowing for more airflow.

This is a cracking high performing kit with just a few annoying cons so to find out more let's crack on!

In The Box

prtZFUm.jpg

Contents:

• 1 x Aegis Legend 2 Mod
  • 1 x Coil Tool
  • 1 x Z Subohm Tank 5.5ml (2ml TPD)
  • 2 x Geekvape Z Series Coil (Pre-installed: 0.2ohm 70~80W, Spare coil: 0.25ohm 45~57W)
  • 1 x Spare Glass Tube 5.5ml (2ml TPD)
  • 1 x Spare Parts Pack
  • 1 x USB Cable (USB-C)
  • 1 x Manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Legend 2 Kit came in usual cardboard box packaging with outer cardboard sleeve which had a picture in the chosen colour on the front and contents etc on the reverse. On opening i found the legend 2 proudly on display in the top layer with the Z subohm tank and other accessories below. I received the Rainbow version which was paired with a Rainbow tank, the options are Stainless Steel, Gunmetal, Black, Blue, Gold, Rainbow or Red.

The Legend 2 has a mainly plastic body which I must admit on my Rainbow version they did a good job given it an anaesthetic look to match the metal brackets almost giving it an all metal look! So the sides consists of the plastic main frame, the metal bracket which sweeps both sides and also both sides has "GEEKVAPE" embossed into the metal. The spine has a heavily padded leather section then moving to the tinted front plastic panel we have a light switch style fire button top and horizontally position double switch rocker bottom, between is the screen. The front also has rubber cut corner sections top and bottom with the top one being the seal for the Type C USB port.

W4HWRk6.jpg

Moving to the top and like on the Obelisk instead of having a 510 plate we have the whole top surface brushed Stainless Steel with the threading directly drilled into the Stainless Steel top, the 510 is Gold plated and spring loaded, it has a stiff but above average throw, very nice!

YwWpvCi.jpg

Moving to the bottom we have the rubberised hatch door with etched safety stamps and a metal release catch! With the device having a mainly plastic body and the lack of a rubberised shell the Legend 2 is less busy and looks slicker as well as being both smaller and lighter making it really good ergonomically to carry about and use in comfort!

Z Subohm Tank Specs and Features:

Size: 26 x 42.5mm (Not including Drip tip) (24mm at base)
Capacity: 5.5ml (2ml TPD)
Drip tip type: 810 Drip Tip
Filling Method: Top Fill
Mesh Z dual coil 0.25ohm (45-57W)
Mesh Z single coil 0.2ohm (70-80W)(pre-installed)
Innovative quick change prebuilt coil system
Direct Top Airflow & Top-to-Bottom Airflow with leak-proof function
Fill port design for liquid spillage resistance
Updated larger airflow slots
Thread: 510
Colours: Stainless Steel, Gunmetal, Black, Blue, Gold, Rainbow, Red (Colour to suit colour of device in regards to this kit)

zEMFg64.jpg

Z Subohm Tank Various Parts

Starting at the top we have a wide bore goon fit delrin 810 drip tip which can be swapped for one of your own if you prefer. The top-cap is the usual bayonet design so just a slight turn needed and it's off, the base section also screws off. The glass can be wiggled free as it's secured top and bottom with O-rings you receive a spare bubble glass with the standard version and straight 2ml glass with the TPD version. The airflow control ring can also be easily removed (in fact too easily) which leaves the juice port and airflow intake section with attached double walled chamber. The coils get press fitted into the chamber and the base section has a positive plate for the bottom of the coil to make contact with. We get all the usual spare O-rings and also a coil removal tool which is a nice touch but personally I didn't find any need for it.

Jxl44w3.jpg

The Airflow

The Z Sub-ohm Tank has a top to bottom airflow system with large dual airflow slots that are fully adjustable, this is the only performance upgrade I can see from the Zeus Subohm tank which has slightly smaller airflow slots. You also have a double walled chamber so the air comes in through the slots, down the cavity between the two chamber walls and into the base section. Now we have the air in the base section just as you would if the tank had bottom airflow slots and this air enters the coil head from underneath in the usual manner giving bottom airflow, it's just taking the top to bottom airflow concept of the Zeus RTA's and implementing it in the least complicated way. I don't like to say leakproof but the system gives the Z Sub-ohm tank the same leak resistance that we have seen with past Zeus tanks.

90Y2Vnk.jpg

The Coils and Fitting Them

The Z Subohm tank has 2 included coils which are both kanthal mesh. Pre-installed we have the 0.2ohm Mesh single coil head which is rated between 70-80W. The other included coil is the 0.25 dual coil head which has a rating between 45-57W, the specs are etched onto the coil head shells.

The mesh is more of a Netting style giving plenty of surface area with large gaps between so wicking will be no issue, the coils also have 4 very large wicking ports.

The coil head simply gets press fitted into the chamber and pulled out to remove, if you have any problems pulling the coil head out you do receive a tool to help but I have had no issues. Looking on the chamber we can see 2 large wicking ports to allow e-liquid to surround the coil head as the chambers main purpose was to deliver airflow from the top to the bottom and having plug in coils is cleverly taking advantage of having the chamber present. We also have 2 protruding tabs on the coil heads and little indents on the side of the chamber, these tabs need to be lined up for the coil to be properly fitted!

TCRURtH.jpg

Filling The Tank

Just like with the Zeus Subohm tank which really this is with just larger airflow slots the airflow control ring is too loose which seems a petty con but it is annoying because i both like some resistance (there is none) and it also sometimes pops off when removing the top-cap for filling, although it's loose at least we do have stoppers!

The top-cap is less than half a turn and it's off, it's the same bayonet design Geekvape have used on previously Zeus atomisers. Once off the 2 kidney shaped fill ports are revealed which are quite narrow so large nozzles and glass droppers won't fit but most standard nozzles will be fine. Luckily there is quite a deep channel between the edge of the tank and air pipe section so it won't be messy if using larger nozzles as any juice will gather in the channel and find it's way into the ports. Once filled just position the bayonet tabs in place push down and give it a slight turn.

QfbT0io.jpg

L200 (Legend 2) Specs and Features:

Dimensions: 27.5 x 51 x 89
Output Power: 5W-200W
Maximum Output current: 45A
Maximum Output voltage: 12V
Power Display: Battery Icon On The Screen
Charging Port: USB-C Port 5V/2A
Battery Specification: 7.4V,External Dual 18650 Battery
Display Screen: 1.08inch,TFT Colour Screen
Operating Temperature: 0℃~45℃
Storage Temperature: -20℃-6o℃
Relative Humidity: 45%RH~75%RH
Thread: 510 thread
Smaller & Lighter with more compact ergonomics
Updated Aegis Tri-proof Technology
New 1.08-inch full screen offer better Visual experience
A-Lock, a new way to protect from accidental firing
Colour: Silver, Grey, Black, Blue, Red, Rainbow, Classic Black

ebgIZuN.jpg

Fitting The Batteries

We have a spring loaded battery door on the base with release mechanism that has vertical grooves which needs sliding to retract the catch to allow the door to spring open, it is quite stiff but that's a good thing as the catch and release mechanism is sturdy and looks to be very durable, it's also because it's a very tight fit and rubber silicone to create a good seal.

The Legend 2 accommodates dual 18650 batteries and orientation is marked vibrantly inside the compartment but is just embossed on the contact plate so not easily seen, I would much prefer this to be Bright White. To close just push shut until you feel the latch secure, as mentioned it seems durable but with all these bottom door devices only time will tell!

uRMPYzl.jpg

Display

The display is bright despite having a tinted cover and also very sharp, it is also very familiar if you have some of the previous Aegis devices that tend to use the same display and menu system. Everything is lined up vertically so up top we have the mode, then underneath the battery status bars followed by either wattage, temp or voltage depending which mode you are in.

In the lower section we first have resistance followed by amps, then voltage and finally the puff count which is labelled "C" for count rather than "P" for puffs, this shows vape duration while firing!

KTPDlAC.jpg

Operating The Device

The Legend 2 is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off, but once on holding both + and - sides of the rocker at the same time does not lock the navigational rocker like on the Obelisk instead we have what's called the A-Lock which is a catch on the side of the device which you slide one way to lock the device and the other to unlock. I do really like the A-lock but it locks the whole device including firing so I still want a way to lock just the navigational rocker! The brightness percentage of the display can also be adjusted by either pressing fire and left together to decrease or fire and right to increase!

v83bGYc.png

3 clicks of the fire button highlights the mode which can then be changed by using the navigational rocker, the modes are Power, TC-Ni, TC-Ti, TC-SS, TC-TCR, VPC (power curve) and Bypass.

When the mode can be changed via the navigational rocker a press of the fire button will take you to any item on the screen which can be altered in turn so for example when the screen is on power but still highlighted then a press of the fire button will highlight Puffs and pressing - will reset them, when TC-SS is highlighted for example it works the same way and you have options to resample and lock resistance. Also when a mode is highlighted pressing both sides of the navigational rocker changes the colour of the accents on the display, each press changes them to a new colour, the options are Orange, Yellow, Blue, Light Green or Purple!

jC4niAE.jpg

When VPC (power curve) is highlighted each press of the fire button allows the next section of the curve to be altered using the navigational buttons and when finished holding fire for 2 seconds sets the curve!

On the normal working screens the wattage can be adjusted from 5w to 200w in 0.5w increments with single presses or 1w increments with an adjustment button held down, it scrolls quickly and round robins. Again in TC the temp round robins between Celsius and Fahrenheit with Celsius adjusting in 1 degree increments while Fahrenheit adjusts in 5 degree increments. Finally holding both sides of the navigational rocker at the same time as pressing fire is stealth mode so the device will operate with no display, repeating the process brings the device out of stealth mode, stealth mode is also a way of nothing being able to be adjusted while still allowing the device to fire!

RCVud3v.jpg

IP68 Rating

Like the other Aegis devices the Legend 2 is Waterproof, Dustproof and Shockproof although the Shockproof is actually separate to the IP rating which covers Dust ingress protection and Waterproofing, although according to their website this has improved shock proof credentials compared to past Aegis devices. The device is 30% lighter and 15% smaller than the Legend which is mainly because of the use of a lot of plastic which doesn't logically tell me this will stand up to the same punishment despite the claims regarding shock proofing!

The change in IP rating means rather than being able to be submerged within liquid for up to 1 minute it can be submerged for longer than 1 minute but just how long is not specified in the IP scale but can be set by the manufacturer although it doesn't state how long the Legend 2 can withstand water submersion so no idea if this is a vast improvement or just from previous testing they have realised they can claim the higher rating!

mmhzN6A.png

Charging

As ever ! always advise to charge externally but if you do need to charge in the device we have a Type C connection and 2A charge rate. The device also supports updates and pass-through vaping!

The Type C USB port is found underneath the top Silicone cut corner section on the front of the device, being an IP68 device the port is sealed and hidden from view so you need to lift up the silicone section which reveals the port, when putting the Silicone flap back in place make sure you press down firmly to properly seal the port so the waterproof seal isn't compromised!

0S22VRp.png

My Thoughts!

First i start with the Z subohm tank which is an updated version of the Zeus subohm tank with the only permeance change being the larger airflow slots. Both supplied coils i have used before and the 0.2ohm single mesh which gives a very open draw is good for flavour but liking more restriction I much preferred the dual 0.25ohm coil at 50w with airflow just a third open for a quite loose RDL draw, almost a semi restrictive draw, the flavour with this coil I also found to be above average and superior to the single coil which I found best with half airflow and at 70w but just not the way I like to vape, just too open and shutting the airflow down further doesn't suit the coil head!

It's a very decent subohm tank with decent capacity and that leak resistant top to bottom airflow which many love the Zeus range for, the only real con is the very loose AFC. The AFC moved even when in use and found it not to be in the set position after being in my pocket etc, it's just too loose with no resistance to movement. It also popped off several times when removing the top-cap to fill!

The star of the show for me is the Legend 2, i just love the lighter device and trimmed down less busy look yet not only does it have the same piece of mind IP rating but has an increased level of IP68!

ad84CmV.png

The buttons are nice and clicky, it's very comfortable to hold and we have a much sharper display, yes it has a tinted screen but I found the brightness fine and didn't need it turned to max! Another feature i really like is the A-lock which is much quicker and more convenient than shutting down and then booting up but I still want to be able to lock just the navigational buttons but still be able to fire, this however can be achieved by going into Stealth mode.

Although i do like the buttons when tapping the fire button it does give a cheap hollow sound but then apart from me who goes around randomly tapping a fire button with their nail! The device fires insanely quickly and hits set wattage instantly, you also have the curves feature to get the exact vape you are after in regard hard up front, a more even vape or even increasing the power during your vape! I didn't test the TC so if you are a TC user i would do your own research but i have heard from a reliable source the TC works really well, during my testing in power modes the device performed like a trooper with no issues!

The battery door seems solid and has a good seal but just a niggly con, orientation needs to be more visible on the underside of the door. I like how they have the Silicone flap on the top front cut corner section which makes lifting free and resealing much easier than with other designs, also have a Type C USB with 2A charge rate is another improvement although i personally would still encourage to charge externally, the device also supports upgrades and pass-through vaping! Finally it has the very familiar display and user friendly menu system as seen on many previous Aegis devices!

So there is much to like with just a couple of petty cons mentioned but for me it has one massive con and that is the top flat metal section is only 24mm wide before the sides taper away! A dual battery device that gives overhang with atomisers over 24mm in diameter in 2021 is a blind spot on Geekvape's behalf and will for many be a deal breaker despite the device being excellent!

2tVcr8F.jpg

Well made, good looking device
IP68
7 Colour options
Lighter, smaller and less busy than previous version
Dual battery device
200w, high powered
A-lock, neat feature
Stealth mode
Familiar display, sharper!
Familiar user friendly menu system
USB Type C, sealed with Silicone bung
2A charge rate, upgrades and supports pass-through
Clicky, responsive buttons
Performed excellently
Fires without delay hitting set wattage instantly
TC (not tested but have been told works very well)
Wattage, Curves and Bypass modes
Bayonet top-cap fitting
Large capacity
Good flavour
Larger airflow slots (Doesn't actually suit my style of vaping but will suit DL vapers)

Cons

Atomisers over 24mm overhang
Needs brighter orientation on underside of hatch door
Can't just lock navigational buttons unless going into stealth mode
Fire button gives really cheap hollow sound when tapping (most will not even notice but I found annoying)
AFC on Z tank far too loose
AFC jumped off many times when removing top-cap

I would once again like to thank Allison for supplying the L200 (Legend 2) 200W TC Kit with Z Subohm Tank for the purpose of this review, thanks for reading and stay safe!

Geekvape L200

Last edited:
Reactions: hittman

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
I wonder if there will be an update or something to add a locking feature (for the navigational buttons). That is my only complaint with this kit, I love everything else about it.
You can press both navigational buttons plus fire to go into stealth mode, that locks the buttons but still allows the device to fire but some still want to be able to see the display. I agree, i like the A-lock but for me it's an alternative to shutting the device down and i still want to be able to just lock the up and down buttons. The obelisk has basically the same menu system and with that both up and down pressed together locks just those buttons so don't understand why they have disabled this on the L200 just because they have introduced the A-lock! Because people are moaning about it i'm sure there will be an update!

Reactions: hittman

MrsP0721

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2014
Denton, TX
I want to be able to see my battery levels, that's the biggest reason I don't love using the stealth mode, but it's a temporary work around I suppose. The buttons are recessed enough at least, that it's not like I'm pressing them on accident all the time, but I do still occasionally hit them. The locking feature is nice, since I do put the mod in my purse or pocket, but I've always made sure to use purses with a pocket dedicated just for my mods, so, in nearly 8 years, I've never had one accidentally fire anyway lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread