hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I’m back with you today to discuss another product that was sent to me by sourcemore in order to provide this fair and honest review for you on the Geekvape Obelisk 120FC. I honestly never heard much about this product besides I knew it was released a while back but didn’t really see much if any comments on it. The Obelisk 120 has a 3700mah internal battery and claims a fast charging rate of 15 minutes. We shall see if that holds true later in this review. Although the display looks similar to other Geekvape products, the chip has been upgraded to include the OTG mode which allows the user to charge other devices with it and thus acts as a power bank. The kit I received included the Geekvape Z sub ohm tank as well as the Geekvape fast charger.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1* Obelisk 120 FC Mod
    1* Z Tank 5ml (Zeus Tank)
    1* 65W PD Charger (US Edition)
    1* Interchangeable Plug
    1* USB-C to USB-C Charging Cable
    1* GeekVape Z 0.2ohm Coil (pre-installed)
    1* GeekVape Z 0.4ohm Coil
    1* Coil Tool
    1* Spare Parts Pack
    1* Spare Glass Tube (5ml)

IMG-6087.jpg

The picture above is what is included in the standard kit. If you opt for the charger kit then it will include the contents below with the following specifications.

Geek-Vape-Obelisk-120-FC-Z-Kit-Specifications.jpg

FEATURES:

1. 15 minutes fast charging for two days use

2. USB PD safe charging, USB-C direct charging

3. Built-in 3700mAh battery capacity

4. OTG reverse charge

5. GeekVape Z Coil brings massive flavor and vapor

6. Paired with Z Sub Ohm Tank

7. Leakproof top-to-bottom airflow system

8. Quick slide coil design for easy operation

9. Protections: Overheat/Low Temperature/Triple Overvoltage/Low Voltage/Charge & Discharge Overcurrent/Circuit Short/Low Ohm Protection

Geek-Vape-Obelisk-120-FC-Z-Kit-Fast-Charging.jpg

Geek-Vape-Obelisk-120-FC-Z-Kit-300m-Ah.jpg

Geek-Vape-Obelisk-120-FC-Z-Kit-Introduction.jpg

Geek-Vape-Obelisk-120-FC-Z-Kit-OTG-Reverse-Charge.jpg

Geek-Vape-Obelisk-120-FC-Z-Kit-Safe-Charging.jpg

Geek-Vape-Obelisk-120-FC-Z-Kit-USB-PD-Power-Adapter.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

The Obelisk 120FC comes in standard Geekvape packaging. Once the outer cover is slid off and the top of the box is removed, the mod is visible. After removing the mod, the tank, user manual, USB-C to USB-C charging cord, and accessory package are below that in another box and the 5ml Z Tank is beside that in a foam insert. I’ve reviewed the Z tank prior to this and very much like the flavor and performance from it. It’s nice that they include the charging cable that can be used to charge other devices rather than a standard USB cable but perhaps would have been even better if both were included just in case someone didn’t have a standard USB-C charging cable.

The Obelisk 120FC in my opinion is attractive in appearance but is physically a bit larger than the Obelisk 200 that I recently reviewed. On both sides of the mod are the shiny colored panels that are fingerprint magnets. It comes with clear protective film over both sides which I have left on and have been using like that so I don’t have to wipe fingerprints off. I received the gunmetal edition so the panels on mine are green which I actually like quite well. On both sides is the Geekvape name on the panels and on the right side is the USB-C port. The back of the mod has what I’ll call a V notch shape protruding out the back for the length of the body. The bottom of the unit just has three gold colored screws with the Obelisk name printed on the bottom and the usual CE information. The top of the Obelisk is a one piece plate with three gold colored screws and the 510 connection mounted in the center with a gold plated spring loaded center pin. The Obelisk is a bit bulky but very comfortable in my opinion to hold.

upload_2021-9-5_9-47-52.png

upload_2021-9-5_9-48-38.png

upload_2021-9-5_9-49-4.png

upload_2021-9-5_9-49-26.png

upload_2021-9-5_9-49-43.png

On the front of the mod is the fire button which is nice and clicky followed by the .96” TFT display screen with the + and – buttons below that and the Obelisk symbol near the bottom.

The menu operation is very similar to other Geekvape devices that I’ve tried and the display looks very similar. The information on the .96” TFT display screen will seem very familiar to those that have used Geekvape devices. The display shows the following information from top to bottom.

- Mode of operation

- Battery level indicator

- Set wattage

- Coil resistance

- Amperage under load

- Voltage under load

- Puff counter

I do wish that the battery level was indicated in percentage instead of just the five colored dashes at the top.

upload_2021-9-5_9-50-34.png

The menu operation for the Obelisk 120 is similar to prior Geekvape mods but there is a new mode option in the menu. The new mode is OTG. If you need to charge another device whether it be another mod, pod, cell phone, or whatever as long as it has a USB-C connection to use the included cable or if you have an adapter then you could most likely charge other devices. The maximum output in OTG mode is 5v/ 2.4A. I found that in order to use this mode it’s best to have the cord attached to the Obelisk and the device being charged. Then switch the mode to OTG and the charging will automatically begin and once your device is fully charged then the Obelisk will shut off the output automatically and return to the previous mode. If you put the Obelisk in OTG mode without anything connected to pull a load then it will not have any output and will switch back to the previous mode.

The menu operation of the Obelisk 120 is as follows.

- Press the fire button five times to turn the device on or off

- Press the fire button three times to highlight the mode of operation and then use the + and – buttons to scroll through the modes which are Power, TC-SS, TC-TCR, VPC, Bypass, and OTG

- Press the + and – buttons to lock the adjustment

- Press the fire button and either the + or – button to increase or decrease the screen brightness

- Press the fire button three times to highlight the mode then press the fire button twice more to highlight the puff counter. Press the – button to reset the puff counter

- Press the fire button along with the + and – buttons at the same time for two seconds to enter or exit stealth mode

- Press the fire button three times to highlight the mode and then press the + and – buttons to change the display color

- To restore factory settings, turn off the device, press and hold the + and – buttons . Once the firmware version is displayed, press and hold all three buttons and CONFIG RESET will be displayed to indicate successful operation

upload_2021-9-5_9-51-40.png

upload_2021-9-5_9-52-12.png

upload_2021-9-5_9-52-33.png

upload_2021-9-5_9-53-25.png

The fast charger from Geekvape comes in standard packaging. The charger just includes the charger block with adapter to meet the power of your chosen adapter which for me is a 120v adapter and user manual. There is no charging cord included so you need to use the cord that was included in the Obelisk 120 box.

I had the battery in the Obelisk drained down to one battery mark left on the display and had been using it there for a while. When I plugged the Obelisk into the charger it showed that I had about 18% battery left. One connected to the charger, the mod did charge very quickly and was finished in less than 15 minutes. It does in fact do what it’s supposed to.

IMG-6464.jpg

I felt like the the battery on the Obelisk rated at 3700mah lasted a very long time but it is nice that if needed, the battery can be charged in about the time it takes to brew a pot of coffee. That is of course unless if you have a Bunn coffee maker in which case go ahead and drink a cup of that coffee and then it should be charged.

Geek-Vape-Obelisk-120-FC-Z-Kit-Z-Sub-Ohm-Tank.jpg

The tank included in the kit with the Obelisk 120FC is the Geekvape Z Sub-ohm tank which I have seen before and believe was included in the Legend 2 kit also. It uses the Z series coils that are KA1 and the included coils are the .2 ohm coil rated at 70-80 watts pre-installed and the .4 ohm coil rated 50-60 watts.

IMG-6109.jpg

IMG-6106.jpg

The Z Tank is a very good flavor producer with the coils included and if you’re a cloud chaser then this is one you’d probably like. The tank uses a combination of both direct top airflow and top to bottom airflow to create really good flavor and has been totally leakproof in my experience.

I won’t go into too much detail since I have already covered this tank in another review. The basics are it is the usual ¼ turn top cap that we are used to on most Geekvape tanks. The fill ports are large and can be filled easily even using a glass dropper without making a mess. The coils are push in type and produce great flavor. Just like the last time I received this tank in a kit, I ran the .4 coil a little lower than the recommended wattage and very much enjoyed it with no leaking. The .2 coil I did run a little at a lower setting than the 70-80 watts and even using 3mg liquid was not comfortable running it over around 55 watts or the intensity of the vapor would make me cough.

I might have mentioned this before but the whole Z tank thing is driving me nuts. I started with the original single coil Zeus tank and don’t understand why they needed to change it to “Z”. Honestly it gets a little confusing sometimes. We’ve got the Z sub ohm, the Z 2021 sub ohm, the Z Max, the Z RDA, and on. Why not just call them Zeus tanks or just pick a new name? Ok, sorry for that little rant. Just a pet peeve I guess.

No matter the name, Geekvape has been coming out with some pretty darn good tanks that produce really good flavor and generous amounts of vapor for quite some time now. This one is no exception.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I really have enjoyed testing the Geekvape Obelisk 120FC kit. Although it’s a little larger than the Obelisk 200, I have found that I repeatedly reach for it more often than most of the other 10-15 mods that I have in rotation. I don’t love the shiny side panels that will leave fingerprint marks but so far am still using it with the protective films on both sides. I find it very comfortable to hold.

The 3700mah internal battery seems to last forever when run with a tank that I often use in the 28-30 watt range. The display is plenty bright to me and it’s nice that you can adjust the screen brightness as well as change the display color.

Also having the ability to fast charge in 15 minutes is a valuable feature if you forget to charge your mod the night before and are in a hurry to leave for work. The Obelisk can also charge other devices “ On The Go”. I had a nearly full charge on the Obelisk and was able to charge my Ursa mini from about half way to full charge and it just took the battery indicator down about 1.5 notches. It’s good that the USB-C to USB-C cable is included to charge other devices since I didn’t have one. I guess it would be good to have some other adapters as well to charge devices that don’t use USB-C like older mods and pods as well as phones.

The Z Sub ohm tank is a really good flavor producing tank. I personally at this point don’t want to try to stock up on more coils with the future of vaping unknown in the U.S. but will most likely get a few boxes of the .4 ohm coils just to have on hand when I want to use this tank. The Z tank has very large fill ports and has plenty of airflow available to please most DTL users.

I would like to thank Sourcemore and Joyi for sending the Geekvape Obelisk 120FC kit with fast charger for this review. As always, thank you for taking the time to read my reviews. Below is a link to the website and I have a coupon code for you if you’d like to get one for yourself.

GeekVape Obelisk 120 FC Z Kit 3700mAh with Z Sub Ohm Tank (sourcemore.com)

COUPON CODE: OFCK

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Real nice review, but personally I prefer external battery mods. IMHO the Obelisk 200 is hard to beat. The Vaporesso Swag PX80 is a close second, bought after reading your review a while back.

Both are great. I get the external preference. I like some of both.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Great review Hitt, I know you waited some time for this. I like the OTG feature, it comes in handy.

Thanks. Yes it was a long road getting this together. The OTG is great and I like how it turns itself off when you’re done charging and it doesn’t sense a current draw.

Reactions: bigbob2322
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread