Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
Depends on the dripper or genny.

Most drippers are set up more for clouds than flavor, as evidenced by their large chambers.

Kayfun has a very small chamber that bottlenecks into your drip tip. So set up properly the flavor is very concentrated and the throat hit is more pronounced than your typical cloud chaser dripper.
Cloud production however is not even close to a typical dripper.

Think of it as a reliable version of a protank or evod on A LOT of steroids.

Gennys are typically kind of in the middle. Some of them with larger chambers and expanded air flow can produce some pretty serious clouds. Some have smaller chambers or even optional reducers that can increase flavor but again at the cost of cloud production.

Of course I should mention that mini drippers can equal or exceed kayfuns for flavor and still easily produce more vapor.

And there are some larger drippers now that are oriented a little more towards flavor while still being able of being fog machines, like the magma (allegedly, still waiting on mine)

But obviously Kayfuns (and similar) still win for over all convenience.

And of course this is all academic, ymmv based on personal taste, juice used and the most crucial factor: your build.

All in all everything has a trade off.
Some people value 1 aspect over others and pick accordingly.

Me, I like em all.
Kayfuns are my number one ride by far, pretty rare that I leave home without one. But I still love sub ohm cloud chasing.

MGMcCoy

Jun 1, 2014
Columbus, GA
Depends on the dripper or genny.

Most drippers are set up more for clouds than flavor, as evidenced by their large chambers.

Kayfun has a very small chamber that bottlenecks into your drip tip. So set up properly the flavor is very concentrated and the throat hit is more pronounced than your typical cloud chaser dripper.
Cloud production however is not even close to a typical dripper.

Think of it as a reliable version of a protank or evod on A LOT of steroids.

Gennys are typically kind of in the middle. Some of them with larger chambers and expanded air flow can produce some pretty serious clouds. Some have smaller chambers or even optional reducers that can increase flavor but again at the cost of cloud production.

Of course I should mention that mini drippers can equal or exceed kayfuns for flavor and still easily produce more vapor.

And there are some larger drippers now that are oriented a little more towards flavor while still being able of being fog machines, like the magma (allegedly, still waiting on mine)

But obviously Kayfuns (and similar) still win for over all convenience.

And of course this is all academic, ymmv based on personal taste, juice used and the most crucial factor: your build.

All in all everything has a trade off.
Some people value 1 aspect over others and pick accordingly.

Me, I like em all.
Kayfuns are my number one ride by far, pretty rare that I leave home without one. But I still love sub ohm cloud chasing.

Sweet Reply! I am Rocking a Nemmy Clone and an Igo W-5 with .4Ohm dual micro. I love it! I get amazing flavor and huge clouds. (all subjective, I know) I do have a Kayfun V3.1 on the way so I am looking forward to having a toot on that thing for comparison!
I do have a Triden V1 with a smaller chamber than the Igo, but I think the flavor from the Igo is better. That said, I may be a little biased because I have put a lot of work into my Nemmy/ Igo to customize and maybe that has a little bit of sub conscious impact???

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I've not bought a Kayfun, though I did try one at a B&M, and I didn't think it any better than my RSST genny. I did buy a dripper, an IGO-W, and did the whole dual microcoil and cotton/silica thing, and to me it wasn't any better than my RSST either, in terms of vapor or flavor, and then too, I had to constantly drip more juice into it, which I didn't care for, so I just use my genny now and I'm quite happy with that.

MGMcCoy

Jun 1, 2014
Columbus, GA
10441286_10203858924302553_5932238154700014852_n.jpg 1385210_10203858924342554_1518239852433129427_n.jpg

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
Ive had an Igo-W for a while.

Unless you put some massive air holes on it it won't produce crazy clouds. The stock holes are almost just a guide so you know where to drill.

Dont remember what my air holes are bored out to, but they are fairly large.
Dual macros at .55ohms. Chucks clouds with the best of em.

MGMcCoy

Jun 1, 2014
Columbus, GA
Unless you put some massive air holes on it it won't produce crazy clouds. The stock holes are almost just a guide so you know where to drill

Indeed! That was the first mod I made to that thing! Same with the trident..... I only drilled out the inner airflow adjustment ring not the outer so my air holes there are only as big as the outer ring....2mm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I went from EVOD to Dripping and never really got into any other tanks (I did just order a Kayfun for experimental purposes). How does the flavor from a Genny compare to that of a Kayfun style or a Dripper?

MrPlink covered pretty much all the details very well :). Just wanted to add a few thoughts.

Stainless steel mesh wicks give very clean taste and last a long time. They can be dry burned repeatedly. They can be used in any device but are mostly used in Genisis attys. I don't dry burn my Gennies, I take out the wick, wash it and replace it. Coiled well, they have no break-in time. A small negative is they conduct heat well so heat up time is a bit noticeable when they are cold.

Cotton can be used in pretty much all devices. It can't be dry burned so it's replaced often which is cheap and quick to do. I always notice a little break-in time with a new wick. It's not a heat sink so there is minimal heat up time.

I've tried a Kayfun clone and didn't really like it much, however I may just have a bad sample. I modified it quite a bit but never could get it right for me. Flavor from the small air chamber is fantastic, but draw is tight and power is limited and that bothers me.

I got an Aqua clone a little while back to try, a dual coil Kayfun type atty and didn't expect much from it. It really surprised me, so much that I've started looking for a real one. It has better air flow than the Kayfun and with four juice channels the two coils work perfectly. I also find what I thought was going to be a really finicky device very easy to set up and very dependable. It has the great flavor of the Kayfun with a draw that makes lung hits easy and great vapor production.

Got a Reo Grand and RM2 atty a little while back and that is a fantastic vape. It's a dripper system with a tank built in. Great stuff :thumb:

Last edited:

MGMcCoy

Jun 1, 2014
Columbus, GA
MrPlink covered pretty much all the details very well :). Just wanted to add a few thoughts.

Stainless steel mesh wicks give very clean taste and last a long time. They can be dry burned repeatedly. They can be used in any device but are mostly used in Genisis attys. I don't dry burn my Gennies, I take out the wick, wash it and replace it. Coiled well, they have no break-in time. A small negative is they conduct heat well so heat up time is a bit noticeable when they are cold.

Cotton can be used in pretty much all devices. It can't be dry burned so it's replaced often which is cheap and quick to do. I always notice a little break-in time with a new wick. It's not a heat sink so there is minimal heat up time.

I've tried a Kayfun clone and didn't really like it much, however I may just have a bad sample. I modified it quite a bit but never could get it right for me. Flavor from the small air chamber is fantastic, but draw is tight and power is limited and that bothers me.

I got an Aqua clone a little while back to try, a dual coil Kayfun type atty and didn't expect much from it. It really surprised me, so much that I've started looking for a real one. It has better air flow than the Kayfun and with four juice channels the two coils work perfectly. I also find what I thought was going to be a really finicky device very easy to set up and very dependable. It has the great flavor of the Kayfun with a draw that makes lung hits easy and great vapor production.

Got a Reo Grand and RM2 atty a little while back and that is a fantastic vape. It's a dripper system with a tank built in. Great stuff :thumb:

I have a UVO Origin mod... That almost led me to buy the Aqua to run in hybrid mode... Maybe I should take that leap too......? It would be nice to compare them all. What genny would you guys recomend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have a UVO Origin mod... That almost led me to buy the Aqua to run in hybrid mode... Maybe I should take that leap too......? It would be nice to compare them all. What genny would you guys recomend?

Gennys with SS mesh have a learning curve because the SS wick conducts and shorts have to be dealt with (eliminated). Took me a few weeks to learn how to do that. IMO the RSST is the easiest one to learn because of the insulated wick hole so shorts through the wick to the deck can't occur. I don't have one but I know of no negatives with it other than the original came with a plastic tank that can crack if you use the wrong juice. I think you can get them now with glass tanks, or glass replacement parts. Someone who knows the details will I'm sure post.

I still have the AGA-T that I bought over a year ago and learned on. I'm vaping it now, have not replaced any parts on it and it's still going strong.

If you're going to do this, research the build process and expect a few setbacks. Once you get it, it becomes relatively easy and quite dependable, but it generally takes a bit of time to get there.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've gone as high as 90% VG at times. Gennys are quite sensitive to juice thickness. 'Genny tilt' is something I'm pretty aware of when vaping mine.

Now, every device is somewhat sensitive to juice thickness too. IMO drippers are the least sensitive. I make my own juices and I thin using a bit of distilled water when I need to depending on the device I'll be using. If I remember right, I used 9% water with 90% VG for the AGA-T. I'm using 60% VG now and 5% water.

Of course there are other factors in play too. I drilled out the wick hole to 1/8", use a slightly hollow wick, 400 or 500 mesh and run at about 0.6 ohms with 27 gauge wire.

MGMcCoy

Jun 1, 2014
Columbus, GA
New RSST at madvapes, dual coil, pyrex tank, adjustable air flow

Dual Coil Pyrex RSST

That guy is very affordable! I may have that on order soon. Even if it is not to my liking, I wouldn't lose out much there huh? I will wait for my Kayfun to arrive (hopefully tomorrow) and give that a week or 2 comparing it along the way to my drippers. (IGO W-5, Trident) Then I may grab that Aqua that I have been eyeballing.

@Ryedan, Did you mention you had a Reo Grand? how does that thing function on drippers? I saw another guy had one with a trident on it...That seems like it would be awesome to have for ADV.....

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME

Hmmmm...I may have to search around and grab me a Genny for some experiments...Maybe I'll grab that Aqua too and just make it a rowdy Shindig! How do heavy VG Juices react in the Gennys?

Just an FYI... They have real Aqua's here: Aqua by Footoon - Eciggity $175 though!! Pricey!!

Or a Hciger clone for $27: BLOWOUT Aqua Clone by Hcigar - 101 Vape

I bought a cheap Aqua clone from fasttech and it is a gigantic pain in the ... to build! I have to fiddle, tighten and fiddle with it to get a consistant solid resistance reading plus I find it a pain to refill. When I do get it working right it works really well though. I would definitely avoid the $20 Aqua clone on fasttech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread