Genuine AW IMR Batteries - I think!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chakthi

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Dayton, Ohio
I just wanted to let people who are interested know that I think I have found genuine AW IMR cells for sale. I have 2 18650s and 2 18350s that I purchased from a vape shop in Wyoming, based solely on the pictures of the batteries on the site, but after they arrived, I tried them and went down the list from here:
How to tell fake AW Batteries from genuine ones and they pass all the checks there as well, including the UV light test on the sticker. I have been looking everywhere for genuine AW IMR cells - RTD Vapor has been out of stock for quite some time, which would be my usual source for them.

I have zero affiliation with ANY vape shop or any company affiliated with any vape shop. I just want to pass the info along to others if you're looking for the same thing I was. I'll wait and see if anyone shows any interest before I post the link to the batteries themselves. Let me reiterate that I BELIEVE I have found genuine AW IMRs, but I'm no battery expert, so if someone can think of another way to tell a fake from the real thing that isn't listed in the link above, please, by all means, let me know. The prices are quite good, customer service was excellent (they sent me 18650s when I ordered 18350s, but told me to keep the 18650s and they'd ship the 18350s right away and they did) and shipping is extremely fast considering I'm in Ohio and they ship using USPS First Class.

If this interests anyone, I'll be watching this post for a while and will respond to you as quickly as possible. I tried to add a photo of one of the batteries under the UV light but was unsuccessful at uploading it, so all I can say is under UV light, the sticker says VOID.

AW IMR Photo UV Light.jpg

Edit: I figured out how to upload an image here! If you would like pictures under normal light, let me know and I'll post them for your inspection.

Chakthi

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Dayton, Ohio
The last tests mooch did of AW batteries showed were they substantially over rated by AW. I wouldn't trust them. They were about the only semi-decent option years ago. But there are superior cells available now

To be honest, I purchased them for use in a flashlight, but one that requires unprotected IMR batteries that are very high drain. 15C is a good amount of current to discharge even if they are only 700 mah and not 800 mah imho. I needed them for the 18350 tube that I ordered with the light. As far as the 18650s go, I went with Sony VTC5As. I wish I had the equipment to properly test them, but I don't.

Thank you for the info though. I've kept an eye on Mooch's tests through the years, though not always as carefully as I should have perhaps. As far as vaping goes, I have a ton of 18650s to choose from, all my current equipment is regulated (Evolv) and I don't go over 20 watts - ever, so I'm not likely to blow myself up. lol

Reactions: Doffy

Chakthi

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Dayton, Ohio
maxresdefault.jpg

AW batteries are back in stock in stock at RTD Vapor!! AW Batteries

Nearly 2 years ago it was rumoured that AW's factory was severely damaged by a flood, and since that time all authentic sources of AW's had been out of stock. AW has always been an authentic source of AW batteries so this is great news for anyone searching for button top AW batteries.

It looks like all sizes are again available.

:)

That's awesome! I love to support RTD Vapor. The owner seems very nice and has been very helpful in the past and it's a small business that I love supporting. Thank you for this new info! I'm on the list to be notified when the batteries are back in stock but haven't received an email as of yet. I'm headed over to RTD Vapor right now to look into this though!

Chakthi

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Dayton, Ohio
My bad everyone. I made a huge mistake by not checking more thoroughly. :(

It's okay. Mistakes happen. I notice you're from Ridgeway, Ohio though - I'm originally from New Lebanon, Ohio and live in Dayton, Ohio - how far away is Ridgeway from me? Just curious... Nice to run into someone else from Ohio. :)

Chakthi

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Dayton, Ohio
It's okay. Mistakes happen. I notice you're from Ridgeway, Ohio though - I'm originally from New Lebanon, Ohio and live in Dayton, Ohio - how far away is Ridgeway from me? Just curious... Nice to run into someone else from Ohio. :)

Of course, I already looked it up - your way north of me, but you're in a village rather than a city which is exactly what New Lebanon was. It was a great place to grow up and go to school back in the day. I don't know how old you are, but I graduated in 1987. I've gone back and visited New Lebanon a few times over the years, but it's gone way downhill imho and is nothing like the almost Mayberry-like village it was when I was growing up. We had 3 stop lights, 2 grocery stores and a handful of restaurants there, including a Dairy Queen and later on (sometime in the 80s), a McDonalds. Anyway, what's Ridgeway like?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Anyway, what's Ridgeway like?
Basically one stop light, one gas station, library, hardware store, and a volunteer fire department. I live in a home 3 miles outside of town in the country. The road I live on has more amish than "English" folks. So yeah, the boondocks.

I grew up there and moved to Cincinnati for a college education and a career (40 years as a surgical physician assistant). I took an early retirement and moved back home because living at my late parents home there is no rent/mortgage to pay for, just sharing expenses like property taxes and utilities with my live in brother. I'm 65.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveP

Chakthi

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Dayton, Ohio
Basically one stop light, one gas station, library, hardware store, and a volunteer fire department. I live in a home 3 miles outside of town in the country. The road I live on has more amish than "English" folks. So yeah, the boondocks.

I grew up there and moved to Cincinnati for college and work (40 years as a surgical physician assistant). I took an early retirement and moved back home because living at my late parents home there is no rent/mortgage to pay for, just sharing expenses like property taxes and utilities with my live in brother. I'm 65.

Yep, sounds a lot like how I remember New Lebanon, except instead of Amish folks, we had a lot of Dunkards or Old German Baptists I think they call them. The ladies wear the white bonnets. Lots of farmland all around the village.

I stay with my father now, as he needs someone with him as much as possible after failed back surgery several years back. He's 72 and his health is quickly failing, unfortunately. I miss having my own place a lot of the time, but he insists that I stay here with him, so that's what I do.

I've worked half of my life in an office environment and half in retail management. I'm 49 btw - I hit the big 50 in 3 months! Oh boy!!

Anyway, it's good to meet you! I'm wondering, where did you come across the info that RTD had AW IMRs back in stock? Just curious - was it just an old post? I've been looking for AW IMR 18350s for a couple of months now and finally found Wyoming Vapor Company | wyoming vapor company, vape, vaporizers, wyoming vape . They only have 18350/18490/18650s and considering the scarcity of these cells, I thought the price was reasonable enough, even though RTDs prices were better. I just hope now that I've outed my source, I can get at least one more pair of 18350s before they exhaust their stock. lol

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm wondering, where did you come across the info that RTD had AW IMRs back in stock? Just curious - was it just an old post? I've been looking for AW IMR 18350s for a couple of months now and finally found Wyoming Vapor Company | wyoming vapor company, vape, vaporizers, wyoming vape . They only have 18350/18490/18650s and considering the scarcity of these cells, I thought the price was reasonable enough, even though RTDs prices were better. I just hope now that I've outed my source, I can get at least one more pair of 18350s before they exhaust their stock. lol
Actually, it was just a combination of it being extremely late, being tired, and me not doing my usual due dilegence of checking out the facts. There have been dozens of posts over the last couple of years of people looking for sources for AW batteries of various sizes, or button top batteries for their Provari's. RTD Vapor is my favorite source of batteries and when I checked at RTD I saw the pics of AW batteries and unwisely assumed they were newly in stock once again.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
To be honest, I purchased them for use in a flashlight, but one that requires unprotected IMR batteries that are very high drain. 15C is a good amount of current to discharge even if they are only 700 mah and not 800 mah imho. I needed them for the 18350 tube that I ordered with the light. As far as the 18650s go, I went with Sony VTC5As. I wish I had the equipment to properly test them, but I don't.

Thank you for the info though. I've kept an eye on Mooch's tests through the years, though not always as carefully as I should have perhaps. As far as vaping goes, I have a ton of 18650s to choose from, all my current equipment is regulated (Evolv) and I don't go over 20 watts - ever, so I'm not likely to blow myself up. lol

I use the same 18650 cells in the four 5 watt LED flashlights I own. I just keep them in a snap top box labeled as singles. Sony VTC4 and VTC6, Samsung 30Q and 25R, and LG HG2 are all good high MAH cells for up to 60W vaping or flashlight use. They are all rated at 15A and above with high MAH for long charge life in an LED light. Your flashlight is probably in the 5W+ range, so the amp draw isn't that critical at around 3A. High MAH equals longer charge life during use.

Here's a rundown on cells you may like.
Best 18650 Battery | 18650 Guide - Comparison Chart

Last edited:

Chakthi

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Dayton, Ohio
I use the same 18650 cells in the four 5 watt LED flashlights I own. I just keep them in a snap top box labeled as singles. Sony VTC4 and VTC6, Samsung 30Q and 25R, and LG HG2 are all good high MAH cells for up to 60W vaping or flashlight use. They are all rated at 15A and above with high MAH for long charge life in an LED light. Your flashlight is probably in the 5W+ range, so the amp draw isn't that critical at around 3A. High MAH equals longer charge life during use.

Here's a rundown on cells you may like.
Best 18650 Battery | 18650 Guide - Comparison Chart

This is an Emisar D4 - probably one of the most dangerous flashlights one could own if proper precautions aren't taken. With an 18650 battery, it outputs in excess of 3000 lumens, which I've seen catch paper on fire when sat on the lens. I got it as more of a novelty item than anything, but I still want to see it on it's highest setting and the more amps the battery can put out continuously, the better. I have some VTC6s as well that I use in my lights. Between vaping and flashlights, I'm going to go broke!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread