Not open for further replies.

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Hey everybody!

Okay, this is my first foray into the DIY thread, so I thought I'd start yet another thread here instead of cloggin up someone else's. For those who don't know me yet, my name is Kaz... I've been vaping for about 5 years, and have done a bit of DIY in the past. Previously, I got all of my DIY supplies from Totally Wicked... went to buying "off the shelf" juice about a year ago, because I just got tired of vaping crappy juice. I've finally decided to get back into mixin', and this time placed an order at Wizard Labs. I broke the rules and ordered a bunch of different flavors (all TFA: fruits, almost all of the various vanillas, and a few others). I also picked up some "Smooth" (completely unfamiliar with what this really does) and sweetener. I've already got graduated cylinders, syringes, bottles, etc...

So... is there anything else that I should have picked up? I'm going to dig around over here in the DIY section and try to steal a bunch of your recipes. I love anything vanilla or custard, so I'll be on the lookout for those :sneaky:

Anyway... not real sure what the whole point of me starting a thread was, but what's done is done, right? Hope to make a few new friends over on this side of the board, and maybe run into a few that I already know...

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
LOL... yeah, I got 250ml of 100mg nic (should last me a year since I mostly vape at 6mg)
Also picked up a gallon of VG and 500ml of PG... I'll use way more VG because most of my vaping is on rdas...
I don't know what it is about vanilla, but it's definitely my favorite... I've tried a few vanilla custards, and really, nothing else compares... if the vanilla is too heavy, then I just switch to fruits for a while.

I did pick up the TFA Apple Pie, Pumpkin, Pumpkin Spice, and Pie Crust... I'm thinking of trying to come up with a Pumpkin Pie juice and maybe an Apple Pie a la Mode... gonna have to figure out the ratios, but:
Apple Pie
Pie Crust
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Sweetener
and maybe a little Vanilla Bourbon

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
If you check out the tfa thread here,there are alot of very good recipes listed.There is an apple pie recipe listed by Bills magic vapor that's really good,actually there is alot of good recipes of all different types there haha.There are a few pumpkin pie recipes floating around here too.Actually thats a really long thread,and some very good stuff posted there,but to make finding the apple pie recipe easier,just click on Bills blog thing under his user name and he has all his recipes posted toghether there.

Last edited:

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Ethyl maltol does a few different things.It will add a bit of sweetness,and it can also make the juice taste a bit thicker.Smooth is supposed to smooth out the flavors and help blend them better,but what it actually does,from what i've read anyway is alter your taste buds to make the flavors seem blended and smoother,i could be wrong on that though,as i have only read about it.
I agree,that thread has gotten huge.It slowed down for quite a while,but it really picked up maybe 2-3 months ago.

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Thanks for the insight, y'all... I didn't get any Ethyl Maltol because they were all sold out. I did pick up a few bottles of smooth, so I guess I'll see what it does for the juice.
Apparently there's a whole lot more to mixing juice than I once thought... of course that would explain why all of my other attempts were... ahem... sub par? LOL! I'm determined to do it right this time, so I'm reading all through a bunch of the threads here... going through the stickies... need to check out Danny's blog, and Bill's blog for recipes... even given all of that, I'm sure I'll still have a ton of questions before it's all said and done!

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
Hope to see you in the TFA thread soon, Kaz - between rayon and TFA, I've got two awesome vape families. (The TFA thread really gets good around April or May, I want to say - roughly post 2700ish? Bill enters the scene and starts unleashing recipes and thought processes left and right)

It sounds like you're of to a good start, I'm especially intrigued by your apple pie ideas. Wish I had the apple pie flavor, truthfully :)

I'll warn you though - TFA flavors love to be mixed together (especially getting creams/vanillas added) which means it's very easy to acquire bottle after bottle, especially with all the enablers around :p

I found Bill's "even new mixers can make great juice!" blog entry especially helpful. Snagged all but a few of those flavors, plus some extras, and I've been sitting pretty for a few months now. Time to re-up on a few - Key Lime, Vanilla Swirl, and Bavarian Cream immediately come to mind!

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Thanks man! I'll be in there at some point... still kinda siftin' through all the posts. I may just jump on ahead to 2700ish...

Yeah, I picked up about 21 different flavors... of course 9 of them are vanilla, LOL. I figured that would be a good start, and I'll probaby pick up a bunch more later on. I'll let ya know how the Apple Pie comes out... also thinking about a Pumpkin Pie flavor. My thoughts on that one is in descending order of %:
Pumpkin
Pumpkin Spice
Pie Crust
Toasted Marshmallow
Vanilla Custard
Sweetener
Smooth

Just have to wait till my order comes in before I can try it out...

I'll definitely read through Bill's posts/blogs... if you and b.m. are both suggesting it as reading material, I'd be a fool to ignore such sage advice! :)

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
This isn't my recipe,i found it on some other site,but it's a pretty good one.To me it's not spot on pie so to speak,but very close.

Pumpkin pie

•Pumpkin 6%
•pumpkin spice 2%
•vanilla custard 4%
•Whipped cream 3%
•pie crust 2%
•brown sugar 3%

I just noticed your in Houston.A package i am waiting on that was lost in the postal system for a week just showed up in Houston last night haha.

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Nice find, b.m.! Pretty much exactly what I was thinking, but I don't have any whipped cream or brown sugar on the way... so I just figured toasted marshmallows and a little sweetener might round out the mix... maybe some of this reading is starting to sink in after all!! Definitely helps to have some percentages to start with... much appreciated!!

Where's it at, man... I'll go get it for ya! :lol:

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Toasted marshmallow and sweetener may be just what it needs,if nothing else it should make a nice pumpkin cream type flavor.
Haha,it's in North Houston as of last night,it was sent from sugar grove,mailed out last monday,and dissapeared for a week until last night.I'd be half tempted to have ya grab it and throw it in a fed ex box haha,they dont seem to have all the issues usps does haha.I just hope it doesn't end up in Coppell,they have been bad about holding up packages for up to a week here lately too,i want my package already haha.

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
I was thinking the same thing... and the toasted marshmallow might just give it that fresh outta the oven, caramelized glaze on top kinda flavor profile... meh... it's all trial and error, and taste is subjective... just gonna have to wait and see...

LOL... That's funny. I'm in North Houston.... need me to mug a mailman for your vapemail, bro? We could see if FedEx or DHL might get it there faster... ;)

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Haha,i think as long as it doesn't get directed to Coppell,we may be ok.I've ordered juice from a company somewhere around Houston a few times,and whichever post office they use always sends it to a sort facility in Coppell,and they take their sweet time to get things moving,but the one it's at now says it's a sort facility,so hopefully it goes straight on a plane from there,otherwise i may have to take a trip to Texas myself haha.I'm impatient to begin with,i've been going crazy all last week thinking my package was gone,so now that it's appeared again,i'm really impatient.I want it in my hands before it has the chance to disappear again haha.

Let me know how that pumpkin comes out,it sounds very promising,i would have never thought about using marshmallow,but now it really sounds good,so i'm definitely curious.

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Good luck with the package man... if ya do have to come to Houston, lemme know... I'm sure we can find some trouble to get into!

I'll definitely let you know! Almost anything can sound good in theory, but the proof is in the puddin', as they say... you can bet that if it works out, I'll be posting any recipes that actually don't taste like crap!

Gotta run for the night.... catch y'all tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread