Getting a throat hit and chain vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monica_dr

Nov 9, 2018
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hey y'all. So, I'm a newbie in the world of vaping and even though I did manage to quit the stinkies after a 25 year 1,5 pad habit relatively quickly, I'm smoking again due to not feeling well (whether it's the nic, PG, VG or something else is something I'm still testing).

I've changed equipment a couple of times, experimented with a few different coils and different juice strength and PG/VG percentages, but my question is: does anyone chain vape AND gets a throat hit but DOESN'T get too much nic?

I find that I need to chain vape in order to stay off smokes, at least now in the beginning. I'm sub-ohming due to the warmer, thicker vape, but I find that if I drop to a 3mg/ml juice, any throat hit is gone and then all I want to do is smoke. Must have the throat hit. But chain vaping with a 6mg/ml on a 0.4 coil is too much nic. Do I really need to choose between chain vaping or getting my oh-so-loved throat hit?

Thoughts? Thanks!

Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Hi Monica and welcome. I don't know what juice you're using but throat hit does not only come from the nicotine but also the PG used in mixing the juice. If you could find a juice with a higher PG ratio but the same nic, 3 mg from what you're saying, that might do the trick.

Monica_dr

Nov 9, 2018
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Pg increases throat hit. There are also supposed to be some special varieties of nic salt that also increase throat hit. I know little about them though

Hi Monica and welcome. I don't know what juice you're using but throat hit does not only come from the nicotine but also the PG used in mixing the juice. If you could find a juice with a higher PG ratio but the same nic, 3 mg from what you're saying, that might do the trick.

Thanks guys. I'll try the higher PG 3mg/ml. I just assumed that it wouldn't do much for a throat hit at such low nic, but worth trying!

Monica_dr

Nov 9, 2018
Sao Paulo, Brazil
There are also a few eliquid additives that are popular to add TH. Have to do a bit of searching and reading here for a bit.

Try adding a tiny drop of Bitter Wizard by Flavourart to your liquids . Might do the trick for ya...

:banana::banana::banana::hubba: YAY! Thanks!!

Monica_dr

Nov 9, 2018
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Can you add a MTL tank to your collection? It would let you have the option of upping the nic and have a tighter draw for those moments you find yourself craving a cig.

MTL in the right setup can give a cracking throat hit.

That was my first thought. I do like vape pens though, I don't have a mod yet (although I've been using a rather bulky vaporesso veco). But I heard a lot about the zenith tank for MTL so might have to consider it. Wouldn't the tighter draw/less juice consumption be offset by the higher nic though? Making chain vaping would be a no go?

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
Hey y'all. So, I'm a newbie in the world of vaping and even though I did manage to quit the stinkies after a 25 year 1,5 pad habit relatively quickly, I'm smoking again due to not feeling well (whether it's the nic, PG, VG or something else is something I'm still testing).

I've changed equipment a couple of times, experimented with a few different coils and different juice strength and PG/VG percentages, but my question is: does anyone chain vape AND gets a throat hit but DOESN'T get too much nic?

I find that I need to chain vape in order to stay off smokes, at least now in the beginning. I'm sub-ohming due to the warmer, thicker vape, but I find that if I drop to a 3mg/ml juice, any throat hit is gone and then all I want to do is smoke. Must have the throat hit. But chain vaping with a 6mg/ml on a 0.4 coil is too much nic. Do I really need to choose between chain vaping or getting my oh-so-loved throat hit?

Thoughts? Thanks!
I have been playing around with this lately. I vaped Sub-Ohm for many years and I am trying to go back to a more MTL style vape. Sub-Ohming just wastes too much juice and costs more. Increasing PG did not help much. But yes, it does feel I have to choose between one or the other. Back in the day, people used to add Everclear to their ejuice. Everclear is 80% alcohol(ethanol). Supposedly that increased throat hit.

I currently have two mods going. One little pen style with 9mg nicotine for the time I want that throat hit. And a Sub-Ohming mod.

I guess what you could also do is just do lower Sub-Ohming than what you're doing. i.e. increase the watts. That would also give more of a punch.

Reactions: Monica_dr
I have been playing around with this lately. I vaped Sub-Ohm for many years and I am trying to go back to a more MTL style vape. Sub-Ohming just wastes too much juice and costs more. Increasing PG did not help much. But yes, it does feel I have to choose between one or the other. Back in the day, people used to add Everclear to their ejuice. Everclear is 80% alcohol(ethanol). Supposedly that increased throat hit.

I currently have two mods going. One little pen style with 9mg nicotine for the time I want that throat hit. And a Sub-Ohming mod.

I guess what you could also do is just do lower Sub-Ohming than what you're doing. i.e. increase the watts. That would also give more of a punch.

I don't have anything with adjustable power. Yet. But it looks like it's what's next on the list! I could get yet another vape pen for MTL like the Endura T20S and back to 12mg/ml juice, but still won't be able to chain vape. Going for the mod might be the natural next step regardless. I confess I haven't done it yet because I both really dislike the look of them and also because I didn't want to fidget with settings. But as I get pickier and more into this, I'm going to have to take the plunge eventually!

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
I don't have anything with adjustable power. Yet. But it looks like it's what's next on the list! I could get yet another vape pen for MTL like the Endura T20S and back to 12mg/ml juice, but still won't be able to chain vape. Going for the mod might be the natural next step regardless. I confess I haven't done it yet because I both really dislike the look of them and also because I didn't want to fidget with settings. But as I get pickier and more into this, I'm going to have to take the plunge eventually!

What's your current set up? Are you using a cigalight or a mech mod, are you using tanks or what?

7B024015-0701-4A03-8910-448B04F52EA7.jpeg

The vaporesso has 6mg juice in it and I'm using a 0.4 coil (very little throat hit) and the ego aio pro has 11mg 70% PG juice with the airflow completely closed, which even with the 0.6 coil gives me a very tight draw - and a great throat hit. No way I can chain vape that guy though. In fact I can't chain vape either. I'd have to go down to 3mg and then, well...

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
It's hard to say - are you hitting a nic limit and feeling it, or does the vape just become a bit much? The 0.6 coil might be quite warm the way you're using it. You can get higher ohm coils for the ego aio, which may cool things down a bit - especially with the airflow closed off. It's roughly equivalent to lowering the power, so you might be able to play with nic strength.

With a mod that lets you adjust power, things open right up. The Innokin kit is popular around here, for sure. Check out the Uwell Nunchaku, too - it's a pen/stick format, but adjustable (and there are others like it). The tank it ships with is not MTL, fwiw.

• Agree

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
View attachment 779433

The vaporesso has 6mg juice in it and I'm using a 0.4 coil (very little throat hit) and the ego aio pro has 11mg 70% PG juice with the airflow completely closed, which even with the 0.6 coil gives me a very tight draw - and a great throat hit. No way I can chain vape that guy though. In fact I can't chain vape either. I'd have to go down to 3mg and then, well...
Okay, I am using something similar for my throat hit device. But I am using an RDA. Thus I can build my own coils and adjust the wattage that way. I understand you're concerned about settings. But most people just have it on wattage mode, you either push up or down. That's pretty much it.

A random side note, if you mix 6mg and 3mg you get 4.5mg. I am not sure if this helps.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I tend to chain vape !.

It's not constant though !.

I use 24mg's and i do sometimes get nauseated. I used to get that way when i smoked though. I'd chain smoke until it make me feel sick. I'd have regular smoking sessions where i'd chain smoke a few cigarettes at a time, maybe with a cup of tea or coffee. So things haven't changed. As far as i'm concerned it's like medication. I know when i've had enough nicotine so i stop vaping for ten minutes. Sometimes i don't chain vape. I just take a draw every couple of minutes. I suppose it depends on how much nicotine i want.

What i wouldn't do is avoid vaping. I'll get just as nauseated chain smoking anyway.

Rather than a "habit", vaping is more routine. And i'm hooked on it. There's no logic to the alternative.

I expect that if i dropped the mg's then i'd chain vape a lot more. Although using less mg's means the throat hit isn't satisfying enough, more like a tease really, and quite annoying too. 24 is where i'm at to ensure a well balanced vaping routine.

If what you're vaping isn't working properly then you still have a way to go.

I'm strickly mouth to lung. I went through a period of sub ohm vaping but got tired of it. Went from cig-a-likes to ego's to tubes to box mods. Pretty typical really.

I think it depends on what you're planning to do in the long term. Is vaping something you choose to do in order to quit smoking, and then quit vaping ?. Or is vaping something you intend to do permanently ?. If your plan is to vape on a permanent basis then you really do need to delve much much deeper.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/mods-a-z.869245/page-20

ATOMIZERS A - Z

I vape my diy juice 60pg 40vg blend with 9mg nic. I strictly mtl very tight airflow 1 ohm coils and get nice throat hits. I chain vape all day but not because I have to.

I tend to chain vape !.

It's not constant though !.

I use 24mg's and i do sometimes get nauseated. I used to get that way when i smoked though. I'd chain smoke until it make me feel sick. I'd have regular smoking sessions where i'd chain smoke a few cigarettes at a time, maybe with a cup of tea or coffee. So things haven't changed. As far as i'm concerned it's like medication. I know when i've had enough nicotine so i stop vaping for ten minutes. Sometimes i don't chain vape. I just take a draw every couple of minutes. I suppose it depends on how much nicotine i want.

What i wouldn't do is avoid vaping. I'll get just as nauseated chain smoking anyway.

Rather than a "habit", vaping is more routine. And i'm hooked on it. There's no logic to the alternative.

I expect that if i dropped the mg's then i'd chain vape a lot more. Although using less mg's means the throat hit isn't satisfying enough, more like a tease really, and quite annoying too. 24 is where i'm at to ensure a well balanced vaping routine.

If what you're vaping isn't working properly then you still have a way to go.

I'm strickly mouth to lung. I went through a period of sub ohm vaping but got tired of it. Went from cig-a-likes to ego's to tubes to box mods. Pretty typical really.

I think it depends on what you're planning to do in the long term. Is vaping something you choose to do in order to quit smoking, and then quit vaping ?. Or is vaping something you intend to do permanently ?. If your plan is to vape on a permanent basis then you really do need to delve much much deeper.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/mods-a-z.869245/page-20

ATOMIZERS A - Z

These are both very useful, thank you so much. I'd be on my way to get a nice mod right now and try something like this, but sadly I've had to put the vape aside for now. I've been having horribly strong reactions and even though my doc was convinced it was the nic (I didn't really think so), testing zero nic proved that wasn't the problem. I now get an intense pressure on my head (in a "it's going to explode and I'm going to die" kind of way) on top of a bit of dizzinessand swollen throat, and it's now gotten to a point where a couple of puffs will provoke the reaction and it's stronger than the previous one, and also takes longer to go away. It's getting dangerous. Anyway, I've had a discussion about this on another thread and I know it could be the PG, the VG, the flavourings, etc. I won't test each by itself as I don't think it's wise right now, but have an appointment to get allergy tested. I'll try as long as humanly possible to find a solution.

To answer the question, I did not plan to quit vaping and indeed planned on delving deeper, starting to DIY, getting more equipment, etc. Not only did it help me quit (I'm back on the smokes for now) I actually love it more than I love cigarettes and I didn't know that was possible. I am *that* kind of smoker. I was VERY happy vaping, and yes, over the moon that it actually allowed me to quit smoking.

Thank you heaps for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread