Getting Annoyed : This is an effective method of prolonging atomisers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catanonia

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
UK
extraview.dnsalias.com
mods : Apologies for posting here, but just spent last hour reading and posting on all the threads about cleaning atomizers. At least people read this part of the forum.

Sooooooooooooooooo many posts on how to clean atomizers. Posted loads of times so here is a quick and easy method for all the newbies.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...nt/15288-experiment-results-coil-failure.html

follow that link and read the 1st post and my post (3rd)

An extract for those that can't view the forum

To sum it up take the following steps with new atomisers only. Ie do it to your next one.

Daily do the following

1. Blow out the crud onto a paper towel
2. Connect to a 5volt power supply. Homemade passthrough with a manual swith connected to a USB Kensington power supply works perfect.
3. Do dry burns on the coil for about 10 - 15 seconds at a time and watch it smoke and glow red.
4. Keep doing it until smoke is almost gone. That is the crud burning away.
5. Let cool between the controlled burns
6. Once done, drip 3 drips of juice onto the wick to re-prime.

There easy as that.

DO NOT DO TO OLD ATTY's. The crud build up is to much and it will break the coil due to heat resistance.

Glad got that off my chest.....

ISAWHIM

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
www.isawhim.com
Well, that stuff coming off the coil is still vapor... not "Crud burning off"...

Crud does not burn-off, and become airborne... that is only vapor you see. (If you smell smoke, it is carbon inside the vapor.)

The "crud" will carbonize on the coil, making it worse, and harder to clean. You need a chisel to remove carbon. (Look at the pans in your kitchen, the bottoms are covered in carbon that won't scrub-off, because that was "Crud" which was carbonized, and bonded to the metal.)

Water flushing will remove water soluble crud.
Followed by alcohol, which will remove oil-soluble crud.
Followed by water again, to help remove sediment that alcohol may leave behind.

Beyond that, there is the organic chemical route... Vinegar or baking-soda solution being the two safest organic methods. Followed by pure tonic-water (CO2 seltzer without sugars).

After that, there are only cleaning agents, which are allowed around foods, as the possible last resort. (With a good water flushing before use, as the food-safe chemicals are not designed for direct ingestion or inhalation.)

Stay away from acidic foods, as they often contain sugars for the acid. Sugars will remain behind, and caramelize onto the coil, into carbon. Other food/liquids contain oils, which will turn into tar-oil, and carbonize on the coil.

If your juice commonly clogs your atomizers... your juice is the problem. It may contain sugars, oils, tars, minerals, etc... Degrading your atomizer faster than the 1-2 month life-span of the coil. (Yes, the life-span of the coil is only 1-2 months. Found on the manufactures pages.)

The more juice you vape through it, the sorter the life-span will be. The hotter it gets, the more crud that will not wash away. The longer the dry-toke, the faster the crud will build.

Last edited:

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Catanonia - The electric burn off in-situ repeated fairly often sounds reasonable; others report good results iwth this. Might kill a badly gunked atty so use as a preventative.

Isawhim - yes, vinegar and baking soda soaks may also help a bit for preventative cleaning. And yes, the juice used is the key.

Last edited:

Catanonia

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
UK
extraview.dnsalias.com
Catanonia - The electric burn off in-situ repeated fairly often sounds reasonable; others report good results iwth this. Might kill a badly gunked atty so use as a preventative.

Isawhim - yes, vinegar and baking soda soaks may also help a bit for preventative cleaning. And yes, the juice used is the key.

yes guys, was trying to make it simple and the post was in the general e cig section, but the mods have seen fit to move it here where no newbies go... oh well.

We can keep it to ourselves.

I find that after a few dry burns the smoke smells real bad, obviously not removing everything, but crusting and flaking it as well as burning it. A good rinse under boiling water and a nother dry burn gets it nice.

After all it is what the manufacturers try to do with built in self cleaning which we all try to bypass...... See the irony here.

This method is a burn clean when u have control.

I do the burn method and flush personally and I have had the same atty for well over a month. It is only just starting to loose a bit of power, not much. And I am constantly vaping on it.

Now I do use PG liquid, with about 10% VG added in. Also have a flavoured loranns cherry that is going strong too.

As I mentioned and others linked to the thread. You need to do this from day 1 of the atty life, not to a bad atty to stop the build up beyond recoverable.

As mentioned, it is preventative treatment, not reactive.

Cat

Last edited:

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Catononia....I shall be trying a version of your method.....I have nothing left to loose, I have tried nearly every other method that people say works for them without any luck ........... I started yet another 'new' atomizer today and have been giving it a burn after using about 1ml of juice, so I shall be doing about three burns a day. Lets see if I can get more than a week out of this one!!

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Geez that sounds way to hard! I think I will not be doing preventative measures apart from blowing out the atomiser and keeping a pile of inexpensive generic atomisers handy, much easier!

Future atomisers will less problematic one hopes!

Future juices will be less problematic one hopes.

Catanonia

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
UK
extraview.dnsalias.com
Catononia....I shall be trying a version of your method.....I have nothing left to loose, I have tried nearly every other method that people say works for them without any luck ........... I started yet another 'new' atomizer today and have been giving it a burn after using about 1ml of juice, so I shall be doing about three burns a day. Lets see if I can get more than a week out of this one!!

let me know how it goes dude. I smoke about 3 - 4mls a day and burn attys every night. Don't go overboard with it.

I burn for about 10 seconds a time and let it go cold and do it again.

Have a sniff of the smoke coming off, sometimes you can hear crackling and it smells bad.

ONLY DO WITH NEW ATTYs and at your own risk.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
let me know how it goes dude. I smoke about 3 - 4mls a day and burn attys every night. Don't go overboard with it.

I burn for about 10 seconds a time and let it go cold and do it again.

Have a sniff of the smoke coming off, sometimes you can hear crackling and it smells bad.

ONLY DO WITH NEW ATTYs and at your own risk.

I am not going as far as doing it for 10 seconds I am just looking down the tube and watching for the red glow to start and then giving it about three seconds at the most.......your idea is all I have left to try... I have never let my atomizers dry out and haven't had one atomizer last for much over a week since I started vaping and when I take them apart they all have such a thick coating of gunk it's no surprise at all that they broke. All the 'washing' type methods of cleaning have made no difference at all.

ISAWHIM

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
www.isawhim.com
I smoke about 3 - 4mls a day and burn attys every night.

Wow... 4ml a day... that is like... 112ml a month... $110.00 a month at $10.00 per 10ml...
(Hope that is only 10mg/ml... which is 40mg a day, at 4ml. If you do more than that, you could be close to a lethal dose!)

Not including the $8.00 a day in burnt attys... that is $224.00 a month...

It would be cheaper to invest in a new pair of lungs...

That is $4,008.00 a year... shipping not included!

Cigs are only $5.00 a pack, times 365 days, is only $1,825.00 a year... Obviously you are not vaping to save money!

What is your electric bill like? That is a lot of recharging! Do you go through four batteries a day? One battery only last me for 1ml, which is two days worth of vaping for me.

NOTE: That was just an observation.

Last edited:

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Pssst, don't even mention the carbon tax ;)

btw: one would expect some bad smells as the gunk is heated and the organics breakdown to carbon (plus various gases); pehaps surprisingly, it seems the coil can get hot enough to burn off the carbon as CO2. Because much of the deposit is already decomposed to carbon as one one vapes, chemical reactions and solvents don't work well.

Last edited:

Catanonia

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
UK
extraview.dnsalias.com
Wow... 4ml a day... that is like... 112ml a month... $110.00 a month at $10.00 per 10ml...
(Hope that is only 10mg/ml... which is 40mg a day, at 4ml. If you do more than that, you could be close to a lethal dose!)

Not including the $8.00 a day in burnt attys... that is $224.00 a month...

It would be cheaper to invest in a new pair of lungs...

That is $4,008.00 a year... shipping not included!

Cigs are only $5.00 a pack, times 365 days, is only $1,825.00 a year... Obviously you are not vaping to save money!

What is your electric bill like? That is a lot of recharging! Do you go through four batteries a day? One battery only last me for 1ml, which is two days worth of vaping for me.

NOTE: That was just an observation.

mmm, close dude.

I use my Kensington most of the time to save on batteries, but if I do use normal batteries, then I will got through about 3 - 4 in a day.

I smoke cut down 24mg to 12mg with 50% PG added.

So 30 ml 24mg = £20 UK delivered which is cut by 50%

So i get 60ml for about £20.

Now ciggies in the UK are currently at about £5.60 a pack.

So maths time.

120ml per month = 2 bottles cut = £40.

Compared to £252 ciggies per month (30 a day person me)

Maths is very easy for me, even with a couple of attys that is still a £200 or $300 saving a month :)

Now you can see why I want to prolong my attys as longs as possible by preventative treatment.

My computers and servers are switched on all day so usb charging doesn't really add to much to the electricity bill (i think)

Oh and the lethal dose is if all is ingested at once. Nicotine only stays active for 30mins or so, so I am at no risk (ish).

:) :) scary eh :) :)

Edit : And my atomizers are last about 20 - 30 days with this usage and daily burn outs of 3 x 10 - 15 seconds.

Last edited:

ccure

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Colombia, South America
I always read that people use 2ml a day. Im glad that Im not the only one going through 3-4ml a day, But I was smoking 2 packs a day and this is working for me.
Eventually Ill slow down, maybe.:)

Same here. I use 5ml per day easy! Now, I use a concentration of 9mg nic. I just like to vap all day long!

Regarding the Attys, I have been using this method for several weeks with just 1 atty, no problems so far. As a mater of fact, some times I just vap directly with the 5v power supply. I think most of the problems about carbon or residues in the coil comes from the flavors.

I have made some test with flavors like menthol, chocolate, vanilla and so, heating them in a spoon and they left a lot of residues when they vaporize. Worst of all, was chocolate. Also, the menthol/mint left a very hard to take out "film" in the spoon.

Last edited:

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
I always read that people use 2ml a day. Im glad that Im not the only one going through 3-4ml a day, But I was smoking 2 packs a day and this is working for me.
Eventually Ill slow down, maybe.:)

I definitely go through 3 - 4 ml a day too. But I don't use carts, just drip 4-6 drops on the atomizer (KissBox) and I think with that manual switch I don't vape the full amount, some gets vaped off the atomizer before it gets to me. But I'm happy. The manual switch rocks when it comes to throat hit!

I think most of the problems about carbon or residues in the coil comes from the flavors.

I have made some test with flavors like menthol, chocolate, vanilla and so, heating them in a spoon and they left a lot of residues when they vaporize. Worst of all, was chocolate. Also, the menthol/mint left a very hard to take out "film" in the spoon.

As you might have noticed ;) I am very keen to address this deposit issue. It makes sense for atty life, avoiding cleaning, maintaining atty vapor efficiency, no bad tastes/smells, lowering health risks, FDA approval. It's a no-brainer if ever there was!

Did you take photos of your tests? A start will be to compile a list of how much deposit to expect from commercial flavors. As you said, some might not give much in quantity but be especially resilient. But the quantity is the key matter.

But what we really need is no dry-residues at all. They don't contribute to the taste so they shouldn't be in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread