Getting back into Vaping after 4 year hiatus

Status
Not open for further replies.

suprachica79

Verified Member
Aug 25, 2009
Connecticut
Decided to get back into vaping after 4 years out of the game (and 4 years cigarette-free :2cool:). Wow, have things changed! When I started in 09, vaping was new, the hot device at the time was the m4xx models (I had the M series with all 3 batteries and loved it) and there were maybe a handful of reputable e-juice vendors. Now that I want to get back into it, I bought a device last night after some research (I wanted something close to the m-series as I absolutely loved it and decided on the joye eroll). I do have some questions though that I haven't been able to find answers to as of yet...

I sort of rushed to order liquid as I want to get up and going before the weekend (going on a vacation) and grabbed some liquids from MBV since they have a good rep, good prices, and reportedly super fast shipping. I read that more VG means more vapor, which is what I like, not looking for huge throat hit since I have smoked in years, and I'm doing no nic so I went with 50%/50% and only added a shot of flavor to a couple of them. I've since read that the flavoring is in the pg so I'm worried that my flavor is going to be seriously lacking. Any thoughts? Is there a different ratio that would be better? It seems alot of people do 80/20 here, but I wanted more vapor and less throat hit. I also definitely need good solid flavor.

Also, don't remember anyone "steeping" liquids back when I was vaping before, that sounds new to me. Is there any good vendors out there where liquid is good right out of the mail? I guess it won't be much of a concern when I get going but this first batch with be used right away.

Finally, how quickly am I going to run through atomizers? I don't remember ever having to replace them with my old M-series e-cig, and I had that for several months before I eventually lost all of the batteries haha.

Thanks everyone for your advice and help, it's good to be back :)

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
Welcome back, it must be a trip to see all the new gear and gadgets. It was probably less confusing to choose a PV back then though. What features beyond the similarity to the m-type made you get the eroll? I stated off with an ego type device and a month later I jumped to a Vamo VV VW with a kanger protank and started mixing my own e-liquid. Now 3 months into vaping I'm mixing my liquids and venturing into tuning up RBAs to pump out more vapor and flavor. I had only tried one supplier online and 2 locally before venturing into doing only DIY so I can't really suggest anything. One of the 3 flavors I got was good to me and that was red drop from mountain oak. The Niquid Bahama Breeze was good as well. My suggestion to you would be to go through the vendors in this link and see who has the best prices and the flavors that sound the best to you.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...discussion/304212-top-5-vendors-e-liquid.html

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
I think you may have misunderstood the flavoring comment. Neither PG or VG really has much of a flavor (though VG is slightly sweet). VG mutes flavors somewhat, which just means you need to use a little extra flavoring for VG based juices. I've been doing DIY for years so can't really help you out with the brand aspect. If you do need to steep your MBV juice, transfer it to glass bottles and put it a crock pot on low for a couple hours to speed up the process. You should be good to go before the weekend. As far as your attys goes, it really depends on how much you vape and what kind of juices you're running through them. I never got more than about a week out of one, but I've heard others talk about getting months.

suprachica79

Verified Member
Aug 25, 2009
Connecticut
Thanks everyone for the comments. I choose the eroll because that's what seemed to mimic the m-series the most, that was basically it. I like that it is comparable size0wise to an analog, and that the kit comes with a PCC so I'm good all day. I work in an office so I would only be using this for short spurts, like going out for a break, and I spend about 3 hours a day commuting, so i wanted something that I could easily use in the car.

Ken - what ratio of pg/vg do you get from MBV?

Degner - thanks for the info. I read on the ecblend website about pg/vg ratios and they mentioned the flavor being "pg-based". I guess we will just see what happens when I get the juice. The 1-atomizer-a-week is a little frightening to me, I'm not doing this to quit smoking, but because it is enjoyable for me, I don't want to be spending 20 bucks a month just on atomizers alone. Hopefully that won't be the case. Like I said, I don't remember having to replace atomizers ever with my old system, but oh how things have changed haha

suprachica79

Verified Member
Aug 25, 2009
Connecticut
OK, that just means they're using PG to dilute the concentrates. No worries there.

Ok, I feel a little better then haha, and yes, it's a trip to see everything that is now available for the vaping community. I feel like everything i used to know is gone because everything has changed so much.

cloud.nine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sedona, AZ
The 1-atomizer-a-week is a little frightening to me, I'm not doing this to quit smoking, but because it is enjoyable for me, I don't want to be spending 20 bucks a month just on atomizers alone.

Atomizers only cost about $1.50 each. It's $5-7 for a pack of 5.... not $5 for one atomizer.
My atomizers last longer than a week, too.
Welcome back to vaping!

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
Part of my post didn't get edited in for whatever reason but the atomizer life depends on juice, which has been said already, but it also depends on the resistance of the atomizer. Lower resistance atomizers will generate more power and you will burn your wicks out faster since the air flow is fixed. For me the vapor production also seems to decrease over the atomizers life so I was rebuilding my protank heads at least every week because I'm picky. If you eventually get into building your own wick and coil, you can make a stainless steel wick which lasts much longer than silica. I don't touch silica or ekowool anymore really after trying mesh/wire rope.

I also wanted a discreet sized one initially that I could throw in my pocket, but was getting annoyed by the battery life and the power limitations. I went from the ego sized to the Vamo which is pretty large and I'm glad I did. My batteries last 2 days, I can check ohms which allows me to re build atomizers, and I can control my power to get a perfect balance between taste and vapor production. That eroll should be a good starting point until what you desire from your vape changes.

suprachica79

Verified Member
Aug 25, 2009
Connecticut
Welcome back, it sure is a lot better now!

508/617!!

Haha, no longer part of the 508/617 community, that was just for college, just updated it. Brings back some fond and some not-so-fond memories tho lol

Where in the heck are you seeing eroll atomizers for $1.50 a piece? All I keeping finding are $20 for a pack of 5.

jerrsun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
los angeles
I personally love the eroll. it was the perfect solution for me to bring to work and be discreet about vaping away in the outdoor smoking section. Small compact and the pcc are all awesome. I carry another 4 cartridges plus a spare atomizer with me besides the eroll.

The atomizers for the eroll are a bit on the expensive side. I think the cheapest i have head about was $17 for 5 of them, they are the same atomizers as then e-go C atomizers. I have been able to use mine for about 2 weeks before they need to be replaced. There are also a lot of treads out there recommending vodka/grain alcohol soaks to bring your old funky atomizers back to life. I haven't tried it yet but once i get my hands on some everclear i will.

suprachica79

Verified Member
Aug 25, 2009
Connecticut
I personally love the eroll. it was the perfect solution for me to bring to work and be discreet about vaping away in the outdoor smoking section. Small compact and the pcc are all awesome. I carry another 4 cartridges plus a spare atomizer with me besides the eroll.

The atomizers for the eroll are a bit on the expensive side. I think the cheapest i have head about was $17 for 5 of them, they are the same atomizers as then e-go C atomizers. I have been able to use mine for about 2 weeks before they need to be replaced. There are also a lot of treads out there recommending vodka/grain alcohol soaks to bring your old funky atomizers back to life. I haven't tried it yet but once i get my hands on some everclear i will.

Yea, I thought they were much more expensive than $1.50 a piece. I wonder why atomizers have such a shorter life-span than they did in the old days? Is it because we use carts with tanks now instead of the old cartridges that used polyfill?

First off, welcome back to da best 'harm reduction' option fer smokers (besides cold turkey, ain't gonna go dere again ever!!!) and better health!

Lastly, I consider steeping only appropriate for mountain climbers... <flame suit on!> And yes, I DIY.

Well luckily I never went back to cigarettes after losing all the batteries to my old e-cig, save for one time when I went to West Virginia for a loved ones funeral and was so stoked about the price of a pack of cigarettes ($3.50 vs. $9.50 back home) I couldn't not. However, I haven't bought a pack since and that was over 3 years ago. This is really going to be a small hobby and it'll prevent me from going back to smoking because my job is pushing me in that direction at the moment.

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
Yea, I thought they were much more expensive than $1.50 a piece. I wonder why atomizers have such a shorter life-span than they did in the old days? Is it because we use carts with tanks now instead of the old cartridges that used polyfill?
I don't think the lifespan really is shorter. I'm just really hard on attys. I could never get more than a week or so out of my joyetech 510s either. Thick juices and high power both tend to kill them quickly. I vape 70%VG and until I started on RBAs was vaping at 5V

suprachica79

Verified Member
Aug 25, 2009
Connecticut
I don't think the lifespan really is shorter. I'm just really hard on attys. I could never get more than a week or so out of my joyetech 510s either. Thick juices and high power both tend to kill them quickly. I vape 70%VG and until I started on RBAs was vaping at 5V

Gotcha, I don't think I was particularly hard on my e-cig before, and probably will be even nicer this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread