Getting friends to switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

desync0

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Anyone else having good luck getting friends to switch over from analogs?

I've got one friend to order a 901 after a bad experience with a dealxtreme crap model.

Now that everyone is noticing us I just placed an order for 2 more friends, and have 3 or 4 wanting to place their own orders after trying some RY4 in my 901.

I think there's crack in RY4 just like tim hortons coffee lol

socaljay

Apr 1, 2009
Southern CA
I have a friend who I bought a PeeWee for when I first started. I gave him tons of juice too. But the battery life on the PeeWee was not enough for him. As soon as I get my Prodigy I am going to pass an 801 his way. He likes it and wants to quit smoking but the PeeWee just didn't do the job. It is what I started with at the same time and it got me started ok. I also tried to get my dad to try but he pretty much wants me to pass some along to him when I am done with them. In other words, he's not real interested at this point.

daniel2828

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Iowa
www.photolink.com
I don't push it, but I'll gladly encourage both strangers and friends to try them out. However, I also explain the potential pitfalls (the possibility of atomizers and batteries arriving DOA, for example), and my own negative experiences when I first started using them. Anymore, I'll get a lot of, "Yeah, I tried a friend of mine's who bought one in a gas station and I don't quite understand what good they are." In addition to malls selling the SE cigs from kiosks, you'd be surprised how many people think the only kind of e-cig are the disposable ones you can purchase in gas stations. So a lot of otherwise perfect candidates for e-cigs need to be educated on the subject.

But no, I won't risk losing a friend here and there by saying you HAVE to try this, I SWEAR it's just like smoking a real cig, only to bump into them two weeks later telling me the e-cig I recommended wouldn't even charge and I keep getting the crap on my fingers and now it's just sitting on a counter collecting dust, etc. I am upfront about possible issues that can arise and that it's not as simple as just whipping out an analog and lighting it. Let's face it, as this board will attest, that is not really the case. vaping is a HOBBY, to one degree or another, and it takes some getting used to. Some people just aren't up to that.

That said, however, I'm betting I'll get a lot more inquiries once winter sets in and I'm sitting in the bar vaping while a group of poor souls are out freezing their butts off (no pun intended) and being mocked by non-smoking passers-by in automobiles.

moonlight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I wish I could get my best friend (of nearly 30 years!) to switch, but she just doesn't get it. She just kind of shakes her head at me like I'm going through some phase and says she likes smoking too much to quit.

I told her that's the point...now you can smoke (or pretty close to it) without dying. But she tried one little puff and rejected it. Oh well. I don't push. As someone said before, it's not for everyone.

wezzie

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
New Orleans, La
Can't get my husband to switch over to PV's---it has to be his (or friends) choice to vape instead of smoke. Yes, it upsets me but I respect what he wants to do....there is nothing worse than an ex-smoker giving a smoker advice.

It use to bug the hell out of me--5.5 weeks ago!!!--when my inlaws and kids would lay a smoking guilt trip on me.

PatriciafromCO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Colorado
Since everyone is different in what they want, what they need and why,, I just direct everyone to come to the forum and read read read... I am so different then my friend who got an e cig,, I am off analogs completey from just picking up the e cig,, and now vaping 0mg as a main daily vap and using the higher nic mg levels as needed... She didn't have the same experience, needed both analogs and e cigs for awhile,, needed the not only high, but the high high to find the calm but stopped the analogs for finding the right level of liquid for her.. So having this group and understand how different and how alike we are from each other really helps..

fresca

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
My brother tried my 510, but he smokes Camel Lights, and I was a Carlton Menthol smoker, so I didn't really have a decent flavor for him to try. He was interested, but I think if the flavor was more plain tobacco-like, he would have enjoyed it more.

Anyway, I ordered a 901 for him (and so I could try out to compare to my 510), and it came with some flue-cured carts, so maybe that will be more to his liking. I'll see him tomorrow, so we'll see.

Also... I told him about these when I first started, and he didn't show much of an interest until a few days ago. It's not something you can push on someone, IMO. You just have to show them, and leave it at that. Sew the seeds, so to speak...

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Anyone else having good luck getting friends to switch over from analogs?

I'm not doing that anymore.

So far, I bought a JS for my son, a JS for my brother-in-law, a pen-style for my sister. I bought incidentals for the DW for a J-118 that (thankfully) I won in a contest at esmokeronline.com. Figure extra attys, blank carts, batteries and juice for everyone and I'm in the hole a lot of bucks. LOL

I need to convert less friends or find new ones, maybe both. :)

Annastasia

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2009
Portland, Oregon
www.annstorer.com
Everyone I know made fun of me at first, then got interested...started trying mine out more and more, and now have bought their own kits. I try not to mock them too much.

It is funny to see the 3 e-smokers at my work all sitting out front puffing away. We get a lot of attention as a group, and there have been more and more customers that see us and ask for cards/information on getting their own. I definitely don't push it on people -- you can tell pretty fast if someone will be interested or not, just seems to be a personality thing.

maryjo

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Columbia, LA
I bought mine after seeing it on "The Doctors" show. They actually gave an e-cig to an audience member to try. Never did see a follow up on that. But, I always said that I could stop smoking if there was some magic stick that I could puff on. I purchased the "Super cigarette" that day. I played with it for a few months here and there, burned out an atty, etc. I seriously started trying to quit smoking in April, stumbled a few times, then broke out the e-cig. I have since quit analogs (May 7) and purchased several hundred dollars worth of e-cig stuff.

I bought an e-cig for my daughter and one for my business partner. Don't know for sure about the daughter, but my partner and I still take "smoke brakes" only now we vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread