Getting our toes wet and anxious for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Tom and Katie here, we're new to the vaping world and would love a bit of commentary on what has worked for you despite it all being personal preference when it boils down to it. We've been reading through ECF for a good while now, and of course watching the mandatory youtube videos as well, GrimmGreen has become a favorite of sorts lately. Really though, we just love the support given, the patience everyone has with beginners, and the real love of vaping! Gotta say, you all have built a very welcoming community here.

So to preface, I (Tom) have smoked for about 10-11 years now with months of late being in the 1.5 ppd range, Katie in particular had smoked for about 7 years, at roughly .75-1 ppd. I was a variety of things, beginning on Marlboro Milds and moving into Marlboro Light before more recently frequenting the Marlboro Black or Red variety. Katie on the other hand was a Marlboro Menthol light girl, before moving into Pall Mall white (menthol light).

We researched and talked about the switch for weeks, months maybe. One day it all became too much and we visited a local shop, presumably just to 'sample' and 'have a look'. I'm sure you all can guess what happened- we both bought eGo-CTwist 1000mah batts and I picked up a 650 to have as a backup for us to share if needed, with what I would presume to be a CE4 tank at the recommendation for beginners of the shop owner.

Now, I do want to thank you for still reading this less than riveting novel I'm currently splattering all over your forum!

Long story short, she's done fantastically with it so far, didn't care for her cool mint gum flavor solo, but has been adoring a mix of that with caramel coconut, after having only 2 the day we picked em' up (about 8 days ago) she had one more and since- NONE! I on the other hand, have had mixed results, but hey - any lessening of the dreaded 'analog' is a plus, right? I'm doing well too, though I've found this 'Winston' 18mg juice to not quite cut it. I'm sitting on the couch right now, and beside the 5-6 analogs I had throughout the day, I've not touched one for the rest of the night and I'm vaping away happily with a cold beverage as I type.

So I said long story short....perhaps I lied, but I'm close to done..I swear!

What we're truly after is full 'satisfaction'. She's happy, though would love going further, and I could use a smooth throat hit, big vapor production, and a taste that really does result in a vape that for me, surpasses analog results.

So again, thank you for the read, if you respond - thanks even more! I'm a very technical guy, so I'm not scared to jump in, though walking before we run is appreciated. Thanks again, and, keep up this awesome community, KCCO and keep vaping!

<3 Tom and Katie

Choc_Addic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Caldicote tunnel
Nice going Tom and Katie.

Congrads and welcome!!
What we're truly after is full 'satisfaction'. She's happy, though would love going further, and I could use a smooth throat hit, big vapor production, and a taste that really does result in a vape that for me, surpasses analog results
Try a ce5 wickless and see, that should give you more of what you are after. Also evod head with lower ohm.... like 2 ohm heads.....

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Welcome, Tom & Katie! :thumbs:

You've made a pretty good choice with the eGo Twist batteries. My suggestion would be to experiment with some different delivery attachments other the basic clearomizer you are using. All are constructed a little bit differently for a slightly different vaping experience. A top coil attachment should be a little different from a bottom coil attachment. A cartomizer or cartotank will have the biggest difference as it uses an entirely different wicking system.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...k-what-primer-juice-delivery-attachments.html

Experiment with different flavors from different vendors. Try to find vendors that offer sample packs to try smaller bottles of more flavors so as to not waste money of juices you may not care for. Once you find some winners, you can purchase more in a larger size.

Understand that your taste buds have been damaged from years of smoking, and your sense of taste is off. Many flavors may taste muted. Your taste buds will gradually return to normal, but it will take some time. In the meantime, exhale some of your vapor through your nose, as it assists your sense of taste in distinguishing flavors.

Drink plenty of water. Pg and Vg both pull water from your tissues and can cause some dehydration. Dry mouth can affect your sense of taste, too.

ElConquistador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
Oklahoma
I think it sounds like your initial equipment was a good recommendation. I didn't notice if you mentioned what nicotine level you're vaping, maybe you need to step up a tad, like, from 12 to 16 mg or whatever to get a little more satisfaction. I went from where you are to a Vamo, and it does seem to produce a better vape, but I'll still use my ego batteries with a CE4 from time to time and I'm satisfied with it.

You might also want to try a lower ohm clearomizer, that made a big difference to me. After using my initial 2.6 ohm clearomizers, I bought an iClear 16 that was lower ohm, about 1.6 ohms and the vape difference was very noticeable using the same ego battery.

Frankenmizer

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Dimension V
+1 Choc_Addic

Hang in there Tom and Katie. Finding *the* juice is a journey I am still on. Read reviews - I can wholeheartedly recommend SpinFuel reviews - they bring a whole team to the process. You'll get a ton of, "..X juice is my favorite.." etc. here and in other forums, but what counts is what works for you. Try sample sizes first, usually offered in 3ml to 7ml sizes.

Finally, as Douglas Adams wrote, "Don't Panic!". Take your time. When you are ready to drop analogs altogether, you'll know..and you will. :)

Edit: +1 ElConquistador

It's been my experience that, with starter kits like Halo's G6 and Triton, I had to step up one level from my analog nicotine rating, e.g., Parliament, 0.7 mg/stick * 20 sticks/pack = 14mg - I started with 12mg/ml juice and it was too low. I'm at 18mg/ml in my starter kit and I'm ok there. In my new mod/tank system 18mg/ml is too high because it's a more efficient vaporizer. 12mg/ml is about right with it.

Last edited:

SASmith

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
Abbotsford, B.C. Canada
Welcome to the forum Tom & Katie and congrats on your decision to quit smoking. Perhaps Tom you need to get a higher nic juice to use for those times when you want a cigarette. When I first started, ( 2 pad a day smoker), I was looking for something that was just like my cigarettes and really I never found it. Vaping is different than smoking and I too smoked & vaped for several weeks until I was able to give up cigarettes entirely.

I use the Ego twist as well, my preferred juice delivery system is the Kanger T2 and the Viva Nova, but everyone is different. I would suggest that you stick with your twist for a while and experiment with various clearomizers, cartos and juices, once you get a better feel for what you like then perhaps upgrade. Good luck on your vaping journey!:)

I would also suggest that you have several batteries each and at least 2-3 clearomizers, or as everyone says backups for your backups

Madison76

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
Columbia, SC
Welcome!

Second everything already said. I would encourage you to up your nic level and forget about painting yourself in a corner by trying to replicate a cigarette flavor enjoy rich, fresh tobacco flavored if you desire with hints of cherry, cinnamon, etc. Think of other favors you love in every day life and try those.

You are in a whole new world. Don't think of it as a crutch to simulate smoking. Think of it as something better. With so many options to enhance the experience. Leave the smokes behind and jump into whatever tickles your fancy.

edit: I started with similar set up. I went high on the nic 24 mg. quickly lowered to 20mg as the sweet spot. Don't short yourself.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
It sounds like you are both doing well. Now it's time to take a moment an analyze what about it is not meeting your needs and fix it. Perhaps you need a different, more tobacco like flavor, maybe more nicotine, warmer vapor, more throat hit.

One mistake a lot of newcomers make is expecting it to taste like cigarettes. No it doesn't take a Marlboro flavored juice, it won't taste like a lit Marlboro, it should taste like a freshly opened pack of Marlboros smell - clean, fresh tobacco with the right sweetness to it. You burn real tobacco so, you get that burning leaves taste added but, that is missing when you vape - it's just the clean, fresh tobacco taste.

If you have a vape shop (brick and mortar store) close enough to go to, take your PV and go see them, they should offer tastes of the liquids, and can advise you on what to do to get what you want from the gear you have, that is a good set up. In the shop you can then try a flavor and say "Like this but sweeter and more throat hit." or "Too strong but good throat hit and I do like it if it were milder." and so on and, they can help you get it right.

It took me three tries to get it right, all in the space of a week. Once I hit it, I never looked back, easy as walking to drop analogs for good and, I was doing 2.5 to 3 PAD little cigars. NOw it's as much a hobby as a way to get my nicotine. I could care less if it looks or even tastes like a cigarette at all, I just want my nic in something I like be that tobacco, chocolate or Lucky Charms cereal, orange creamsicle, buttered popcorn, peanut butter cookies - whatever as long as I like it. :)

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Welcome to Ecf and congratulations on the switch!

Don't be too upset if you don't fully transition immediately. Some people decide to never fully quit. Everyone is different and you may just need more time, or a tweak in your setup.

Your ego twists are a great place to start as you'll have a bit more room to play and find what suits you. I would suggest looking into different juice delivery options (i.e. vision vivi nova/mini, kanger protank/evod, or cartomizers/carto tanks) as each gives a different end result. Each option has strengths and weaknesses and you will need to decide what qualities you require.

E-liquid quality and flavor are a bit harder to nail down as personal preference plays a huge factor in this. I would suggest only ordering sample sizes from different vendors for a while to find a good fit for the both of you. When you find something you really enjoy it will make smoking seem so nasty you won't look back.

You can find a list or reputable vendor in the suppliers section, also there is a 2012 best awards at the top of the "general e smoking forum" which could give you an idea of places to try.

Good luck on your vapequest! Feel free to post any more questions, concerns, or updates and I'm sure you will find what works for both of you.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Long story short, she's done fantastically with it so far, didn't care for her cool mint gum flavor solo, but has been adoring a mix of that with caramel coconut, after having only 2 the day we picked em' up (about 8 days ago) she had one more and since- NONE! I on the other hand, have had mixed results, but hey - any lessening of the dreaded 'analog' is a plus, right?

Yes. Yes it is.

Not all of us stop right off. Some do and that's great. Others, it takes time. I haven't yet run into anybody that did not see a big, big drop in their smoking right off and that's good in itself.

I'm convinced these days that it has to do with hitting some combination of juices and all that work for you personally. Some people luck out and find a good combination right off. Others, takes some exploring and sampling. Took me a while to find my first, "Oh wow!" juice. :)

Now I can't imagine going back to smoking. Maybe having one or a few. Maybe. I seem to still sometimes feel like I "miss them". I guess because they were my... constant companion (?) for decades. Not sure. It's a mild thing. Kind of a, "gosh, wasn't that great?" To which I always think, "No, no it really wasn't." :)

But I saw a big drop right off. Two packs a day to four to six cigs a day. Then over the next six weeks or so, drifted downward until one day I got this batch of liquids in (samples and all) and needed space and cleared the shelf in the cabinet where the last remaining pack lived. Tossed the few cigs left out, then the last ashtray, and didn't seem to care. They were just... in the way...

Thanks so much so far everyone, we see people mentioning it being a journey very often, and the truth in that statement is in every way the truth. I suppose you're more than right in saying that it won't ever be 'the same' but with a bit of trial, and time, becomes something so much more enjoyable - while being so much better for you too!

How about a few examples of personal fan favorite juices that after one quick vape made you say "oh yes!"?

Iceman - We'll scope out Baditude's blog this evening, thanks for the recommendation.

Frankenmizer - Your way of typing reminds me of Bob Alexander's antics in his videos. Cheers!

SASmith - We've read/seen some great reviews of the Kanger products, think perhaps I should trial a protank or something similar?

Elconquistador - If I recall correctly, will that lower Ohm result in a larger vape?

Baditude - Thanks for the link on attachments, we'll have a gander this evening, after perusing your blog that is!

Choc_adict - Would you think what i said to Elconquistador holds true?

Everyone thus far in general, thanks so much for the quick responses, we appreciate it!

bikerbeagle

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Wichita, KS USA
Welcome Tom and Katie! You got a solid recommendation for your starter kits, that's a plus - you can probably trust the guy at your local B&M to give you the straight scoop (some can't).

...now you just need to define your taste for juices.

A lot of people want to come into vaping trying to reproduce the taste of their old analogs. That is actually the exact wrong thing to do, in my opinion, and as a general rule, I do not recommend it. I've found that most people respond more favorably to the dessert flavors at first - chocolate, caramel, vanilla, butterscotch, banana, coconut, etc ...these are generally more aromatic ('sweet' is one of the tastes you can actually smell) and it feels more like a 'treat' than an 'analog replacement'. This is likely the reason why Katie has managed to stick with it while you ...well, haven't, easily. 555 and RY4s are sweeter tobacco flavors that are very popular. You can also try some fruit flavors, although these are hit and miss. Once you have a few tried and true flavors under your belt, you can branch out to more 'pure' tobacco flavors, if you want. Best to get a foothold first, though.

Also, because you smoked a fair amount more than she did, you may consider going with a 24mg nicotine content, especially considering you don't feel like 18mg is "doing" anything for you ...while Katie is probably ok at 18mg.

Most importantly, stick with it. It's not about how many analogs you smoke to get where you need to be ...it's about how many you didn't smoke when you get there.

So, we posted this last one while those were the only responses. My me my your responses are both encouraging and informative, I apologize in advance for not responding to you each individually as I did before, but trust me, each response was read out loud by the two of us, and we really do appreciate it. Keep them coming, it's so helpful, and even more - makes us feel good to read them.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Elconquistador - If I recall correctly, will that lower Ohm result in a larger vape?

Warmer, definitely. Fuller vapor, I think so.

But...

It can also drain your batteries faster and if you aren't careful, you can burn your coils out and fry juices. It's one of those, "Be sure to do your homework" kind of things.

Lot of room in vaping to tinker and explore and all. I saw a video of a guy building four coil heads (!) and producing vapor that could fill a room. Cool stuff but you gotta know what you're doing definitely.

In the early days, my opinion, it's more important to find the liquids that work for you. The more you like the vape, the less you'll care about smoking.

danielle126

Jul 15, 2013
OREGON
It was immediate for me. I was rolling my own analogs to save money using really cheap "pipe" tobacco. (Pipe Tobacco gets taxed differently than cig tobacco but tis stuff was ground like cig tobacco).

the only problem I had was drinking alcohol. I still wanted to burn one. I started to reach for my ecig every time I had any craving even if it was for analogs. I started to really enjoy the vape better and I am happy to say that I drank way too much last night and did not have or want an analog.

It is getting better everyday.

Choc_Addic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Caldicote tunnel
First off, You don't have to reply to each of us! And UR welcome.
Choc_adict - Would you think what i said to Elconquistador holds true?
Short answer is YES!. You would start out with the lowest Voltage and bring it up a little. When you feel it start to taste bad, turn it back down one notch and you are golden.

Other ways to do the same thing is when you have your battery set at a certain voltage, (for your CE4 at 2.8 ohms or what ever) start from low voltage, it will be cool and not give you much in a way of a hit, than bring up voltage until it gives you what you like. With lower ohm, it will give you a option of giving you hotter hits as you go up on the Voltage.
I hope this make sense!

Enjoy and don't worry too much about stopping smoking for now. It will come with time and as you get used to vaping.

Cheers to both!

Just finished fixing up some beef/italian sausage burgers on the old cast iron, and been happy to read the further responses. Haha, Choc, I suppose I won't go ahead and make individual responses again, and this point it could take me all night!

I appreciate all the comments concerning liquids, nic levels and more, perhaps some of you have a few favorites that stand out? Preferably not of the overly fruity fashion.

Also, considering our current starter set up, any particular mods that stand out as a tried and true go to? Maybe something that for each of you stands out as the 'old faithful' type arrangement? We're not overly frightened of price, within reason of course and would love some suggestions, perhaps ones that a variety of you can all agree upon? Mind you we know it's very different depending on your preferences, but we're hoping for something that is a good next step, maybe even two types, one that perhaps relaxes on your coffee table till you're in for the night, and the 'daily driver' that you bring to work, out for drinks, etc.

Thanks in advance as always everyone, you're all greatly appreciated. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread