Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I know that some people are going to think this is crazy but...

I had one 510 atty that I just couldn't get this funky, burnt blue foam taste out of. I tried a diet-soda soak. Warm water and dish soap clean. Just about everything. Nothing worked.

So before I chucked it in the trash, I got an Idea. Why not try soaking it in Acetone?

What do I have to loose? It’s going in the trash anyway, right? So I got an small glass jar and poured about a ¼ of an inch worth of Acetone in it. Drop the atomizer the atty in it and waited 5 minutes.

When I pull it out it didn’t look any different on the outside. The powder coating on the outside was unaffected. But the inside looked clean as a whistle and ceramic cup looked much whiter. I gave it a double rinse in warm tap water and let it dry overnight. The next day I gave it a try. I dialed 91 on my cell phone just and kept my finger on the 1 button just in case the first hit sent me into a seizer.

Not seizer. No Blindness. Ne chemical taste. In fact, it was about the cleanest hit I have ever gotten from a atty.

Not recommending that people rush out and try this on All there atty’s but you might want to give it a shot if you have one that you are about to throw out anyway.

BTW - With Acetone, like all the "tones" skin contact should be minimized. Use twissers to handle the atty. Also Acetone can disolve some plastics and can remove some finishes like paint and varnish. Use with caution.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I know that some people are going to think this is crazy but...

I had one 510 atty that I just couldn't get this funky, burnt blue foam taste out of. I tried a diet-soda soak. Warm water and dish soap clean. Just about everything. Nothing worked.

So before I chucked it in the trash, I got an Idea. Why not try soaking it in Acetone?

What do I have to loose? It’s going in the trash anyway, right? So I got an small glass jar and poured about a ¼ of an inch worth of Acetone in it. Drop the atomizer the atty in it and waited 5 minutes.

When I pull it out it didn’t look any different on the outside. The powder coating on the outside was unaffected. But the inside looked clean as a whistle and ceramic cup looked much whiter. I gave it a double rinse in warm tap water and let it dry overnight. The next day I gave it a try. I dialed 91 on my cell phone just and kept my finger on the 1 button just in case the first hit sent me into a seizer.

Not seizer. No Blindness. Ne chemical taste. In fact, it was about the cleanest hit I have ever gotten from a atty.

Not recommending that people rush out and try this on All there atty’s but you might want to give it a shot if you have one that you are about to throw out anyway.

BTW - With Acetone, like all the "tones" skin contact should be minimized. Use twissers to handle the atty. Also Acetone can disolve some plastics and can remove some finishes like paint and varnish. Use with caution.
Wow! I just can't believe you posted that?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Other than it is a nasty chemical?

Acetone dissolves glue. Also melts plastic (the airway in the bottom of a 510 is plastic).

Not a good idea.

This isn't exactly true. Acetone can dissolve Some glues and "melt" some plastics. But not All glues and not All Plastics. If those plastics or glues are not used in a 510 atty, well then what is the issue with washing an atty in Acetone?

As for being a "nasty chemical", which are the good chemicals and which are the nasty ones? If a chemical is used properly with proper safeguards, is that nasty?

I can tell you one thing. You may be very surprised how many products are cleaned and or degreased with Acetone in their manufacturing. Everything from knitting needles to baby high chairs. And Acetone is ubiquitous for cleaning the machinery that makes manufactured goods.

The reason being is that Acetone has an Extremely High evaporation rate so it doesn’t leave residual residue like some other solvents.

I’m not bending anyone’s arm and forcing them to wash their atty’s in anything they don’t want to. If you don’t feel comfortable handling Acetone, then be all means do not use it. By the way, that goes for nail polish remover also.

funguy

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2010
New Ulm, Minnesota
Other than it is a nasty chemical?

Acetone dissolves glue. Also melts plastic (the airway in the bottom of a 510 is plastic).

Not a good idea.

I have worked with industrial grade acetone (99.9% purity) on a professional level many times. Mostly for cleaning circuit boards and equipment for electric motors. I would personally feel safer using acetone in this situation than I would isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. The reason is that it evaporates much much faster and leaves FAR less residue. True it's stronger and more dangerous but, handled properly, is a cleaner chemical.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Being a girl, I know about acetone. I know that it will melt off an artificial plastic fingernails. *grin*

The plastic draw piece will collapse with an over heated atomizer, so I doubt that it is going to be resistant to the corrosive properties of the acetone.

The metal mesh under the atomizer bridge isn't exactly an environment for 100% evaporation of a liquid. Have either of you guys taken one apart to see just how much of it is surrounding and UNDER that ceramic pot?
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modders-forum/48467-510-atty-disassembly.html

So, can you guarantee that all acetone is going to evaporate out of all that mesh? Will it be vaporized with your liquid into your lungs? I don't want any of that in my lungs, period.

BTW, in those photos, you can also see the plastic piece I'm talking about.

I use PGA (EverClear) to rinse out attys. I don't need to use water afterward. Ethyl Alcohol is a common ingredient in e-liquid. My rule is if I won't put it in my mouth, I won't clean an atty with it.

Besides, as cheap as atomizers are... if a known safe and easy method doesn't work on an atomizer, isn't is time to just buy a new one? ;)

:2c:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Very good points and very legitimate concerns…

First off. I do not recommend that Acetone be used to clean the cartridge mouth piece, the juice cup or the filling material of a cart. As you have mentioned, there are simpler methods for this, soap and water, that are just as effective.

Second, you are absolutely correct. The bridge is designed to hold liquid and is not designed to evaporate it. That is why I made sure to mention that the atty be “double rinsed” in warm tap water and dried over night before using. One of the things that makes Acetone such a great solvent is that it dissipates in water.

I understand that there is non-metallic materials inside an atomizer. I also know that different manufactures use different materials for their atomizers. I can not say that the non-metallic pieces in your atomizer will not be dissolved by Acetone. I can only say that it did not effect MY atomizer in any way but to restore it to factory new, or better, condition.

“If I would’d put it in my mouth, I wouldn’t use it.” That is a very good rule of thumb. It is kinda hard to go wrong if you follow it. If you feel more comfortable using Ethyl Alcohol, maybe you should use it. It seems ironic though seeing that Ethyl Alcohol contains Methyl isobutyl ketone which has a much lower expectable ingestion rate as deemed by OSHA. It also has a lower evaporation rate which mean there is the potential for more residual residue. So is Ethyl Alcoho any safer that Acetone?

ETHYL ALCOHOL COMPLETELY DENATURED

ACETONE

Lastly, you mentioned that if there is “safe’ method that doesn’t work, isn’t it time to throw away the atomizer? Buying a new atomizer is definitely an option. I just wonder how many atomizers get thrown out needlessly that could have been cleaned use Some other technique other than hot water or diet-coke soak.

I think all the points you made are very good and too most people, especially anyone who does not want to follow simple safeguards such as no direct skin contact, well ventilated area, fire prevention and proper rinsing should avoid using strong solvents.

That goes for the use of Paint and Varnishes, Paint Thinners, Bathroom Cleansers, Hair Spray, Nail Polish and Remover, Hair Dyes, Car Waxes, etc…

brandon555

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2010
Wisconsin
From Acetone Molecule
"After inhaling acetone fumes or ingesting acetone, it enters the blood, which then carries it to all the organs in the body. If it is a small amount, the liver breaks it down to chemicals that are not harmful and uses these chemicals to make energy for normal body functions. Breathing moderate- to-high levels of acetone for short periods of time, however, can cause nose, throat, lung, and eye irritation; headaches; light-headedness; confusion; increased pulse rate; effects on blood; nausea; vomiting; unconsciousness and possibly coma; and shortening of the menstrual cycle in women."

What little acetone could be left in the atty probably isn't an issue but I sure as h*** wouldn't soak any of my attys in a solvent like acetone.

I would imagine the only thing that would get all the built up gunk off the coil would be a solvent like acetone but I wouldn't make a habit of it because over time it could become a health issue.

I just dry burn, flush with water, blow out with air compressor, and repeat until the atty starts glowing like new. I've revived a lot of attys this way.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Nobody said that Acetone was akin to Mother’s Milk…

Airborne ingestions of Acetone, as will all solvents, isn’t it’s only hazard. The most pervasive and insidious toxicological danger from Acetone is direct skin contact. Solvents, by nature can pass through the epidermal layer of the body and enter the blood stream in MUCH higher concentrations than by respiration.

Your going to get a Much higher level of exposure by direct skin contact than you will from inhalation.

It’s the difference of exposure to say Pentane or Ethanol (Ethyl Alcohol ) when a person stands at a gas pump while fill up their car’s gas tank and can smell the "gasoline" verses a person that washes parts in “gasoline” to clean them.

Pentane Molecule

Ethanol Molecule

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
What about all the ethyl alcohol that is used in all the juices and all the suggestions I see on this forum to add ethyl alcohol to the juices?
Are we putting our health in danger by doing that?

I think the Higher risk is in the Flavorings that we use in our Juice. Not of it is made to be put in a persons lungs.

I've read tons of articles about Nicotine, PG and VG. But have not seen anything about vaping Flavoring.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
zolDman owns stock in Kleen Strip Acetone! LMAO Only kidding. If you could be sure to rinse all the acetone out of your atty this would probably be ok, but there is soo much mesh and wick inside an atty I don't think you could ever get ALL of it out. Just my opinion.

It is Because of the mesh that Acetone is a consideration. Acetone has an Extremely high evaporation rate and can be disovled in water. A good combination.

I have to mention it again. I used Acetone as a last resort before chucking the atty in the bin.

I also will mention that I have moved to cartos 100% of the time. Now all the silly cart mods and extreme measures to clean atty's are like a bad dream.

A bad dream that I woke up from and said, "What was I thinking spending all that time and money on carts?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread