Getting throat hit with 0 nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
So i bought base 50/50 and one flavour (Revolute Fruit Rouge), mixed it and started vaping..and i get throat hits.

I just Googled it, and it's a concentrated flavoring, that seems to be pretty strong. Recommended % to use in DIY is 5%. So, that means if you were making a 50mL batch of it with 50PG/50VG...you'd use only 2.5mL of the flavoring in your 50mL mix. If you used more than the recommended %...that could cause some harshness.

It also might contain ethyl alcohol. If it's not evaporated off before vaping it...it can give you the sensation of a little harshness, kind of similar to throat hit from nicotine. I'm going to see if I can find the ingredients, to see if it has EA in it.

EDIT: I checked a few websites and none of them tell the ingredients. They do say though...that once you use this flavoring...your mix needs to steep/age for a minimum of 72 hours. They suggest you try it every now and then during that time period to see if it's ready sooner according to your own tastes.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Okej, so should i purchase the 75/20?
Welcome and glad you joined. I also am PG adverse. Your goal, if PG is the problem, is zero PG. I purchase VG only (zero nic). I found that at least 3/4 of the flavors mixed in VG are lacking in taste as compared to flavors mixed with PG. I mix VG and PG flavors and have no problems. My mixes end up around 80VG+ and higher. Some folks can't vape any PG at all, you may be one of them.
Might like to read:
Wattage vs. Flavor | E-Cigarette Forum
http://diyordievaping.com/2016/02/26/why-is-my-ejuice-harsh-beginner-diy-ejuice-tips/
Might want to try Googeling " vape: PG adverse intolerant ".

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
So i bought the new Smok Stick V8 and some liquids from friend, everything was ok and i wanted to make my own liquids for the first time. So i bought base 50/50 and one flavour (Revolute Fruit Rouge), mixed it and started vaping..and i get throat hits. Is it because of the 50% PG?

I vape 70pg/30vg DIY juice. For throat hit most turn to tobacco flavors. There are other ways to add throat hit, but most will also add tobacco notes. Acetyl Pyrazine (AP) and Tobacco Absolute (TA) come to mind, but they are mostly used by tobacco flavor DIY vapers.

Mint flavors provide throat hit if you are into those. Fruit, candy, and desert flavors are going to need high pg for throat hit, IMO.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Many things can influence throat hit; PG/VG ratio being one of them and flavoring another. But you also need to look at:
  • Wattage/power (temperature): too "hot" and a vape can seem extremely harsh. Can also dry the wick (evaporate the liquid faster than it can be replenished) causing dry hits and even wick scorching. Each and every recipe has its own "sweet spot." Experiment going up and down with your wattage until you find what is best for that particular mix.
  • Airflow: a tighter airflow can cause a "concentration" of the vapor and enhance the harshness of the vapor. Also, inadequate airflow across the coil(s) can allow the coils to become too hot (see wattage above). Increased airflow will both cool and "dilute" the vapor.
  • Liquid flow: I believe this is not adjustable on the Big Baby Beast. Insufficient liquid delivery to the wicking material will lead to dry hits and harshness. In a non-adjustable device you may need to thin the e-liquid increasing PG ratio or adding distilled water or vape less frequently (allowing the wick to catch up).
  • Coil head priming: Many of the new premade coil heads use a tightly packed wicking material and need to be "primed" by applying e-liquid directly to the cotton allowing the cotton to become fully saturated before you begin to vape on it. Read and follow manufacturer instructions for recommended preparation.
  • Vaping style: Chain vaping can cause dry hits/harshness if you are vaping faster than the wick can be replenished. Take less frequent puffs (may want to increase nicotine level so the desire to vape is reduced). Thin e-liquid (see liquid flow above) so it wicks faster.

Reactions: JCinFLA

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Saskatchewan
ime the flavouring is the biggest factor in throat hit. I see people say that it's the nicotine or PG content but this does not ring true for me. I can make a recipe with the exact same PG and nic as any other and it's always the flavouring that determines how harsh it is. Mixed berry vapes kick my .... (FA Forest Mix and CAP Harvest Berry) Some citruses can be harsh as well.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
ime the flavouring is the biggest factor in throat hit. I see people say that it's the nicotine or PG content but this does not ring true for me. I can make a recipe with the exact same PG and nic as any other and it's always the flavouring that determines how harsh it is. Mixed berry vapes kick my .... (FA Forest Mix and CAP Harvest Berry) Some citruses can be harsh as well.

Sounds to me it could be Alcohol in the flavorings causing it to be harsh but in my opinion it is a different feeling compared to the throat hit from Nicotine or PG. Just my opinion from personal experience.

Reactions: mhertz

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
IMO, PG don't give TH(try vape it by itself if in doubt, which i've done extensively, e.g. PG alone, VG alone, PG/VG/nic alone, VG/nic alone etc. Pg though lets the full TH out of nic and VG mutes nics TH. Several state flavors can add TH, but can't comment on that as have never experienced that myself, but personally I would guess that it probably doesn't feel exactly like the TH of nic, but just other irritation feeling.

Reactions: SteveS45

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
IMO, PG don't give TH(try vape it by itself if in doubt, which i've done extensively, e.g. PG alone, VG alone, PG/VG/nic alone, VG/nic alone etc. Pg though lets the full TH out of nic and VG mutes nics TH. Several state flavors can add TH, but can't comment on that as have never experienced that myself, but personally I would guess that it probably doesn't feel exactly like the TH of nic, but just other irritation feeling.

I must admit I don't find this to be true for me at least because I have one Sweet Pipe Tobacco DIY that has changed since it's original creation to now be more VG and less PG which started at 40% and is now 30% or even 20%. Taste is subjective and so is the throat hit I guess! Cheers @mhertz

Reactions: mhertz

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
:toast:
It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, so quite possibly i'm wrong, though I do think we are in agreement on the above and so sorry for possibly bad wording. I agree lowering PG in a recipe(e.g. your sweet pipe tobacco) would lower TH too. Sorry if misunderstanding something :)

Not a question of being wrong or right this is personal experience and yours differs from mine and that is back to the Subjective. Because for you it could totally be a different sensation depending on so many factors. When I hear people vaping 50/50 I shudder because that would rake my throat with razor blades.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
@DaveP - I read the OP as he doesn't want throat hit. That's why he was surprised there was some with the 0mg nic base in what he made. Maybe I misunderstood it though.

Sorry! I read the title as I would "Getting a million dollars with $0 investment". I'd want to know how to instead of how not to! ;)

Reactions: JCinFLA

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Sorry! I read the title as I would "Getting a million dollars with $0 investment". I'd want to know how to instead of how not to! ;)

No need to be sorry. You didn't do anything wrong. When I first saw the title I interpreted it like that, too. Rarely do we get anyone on here who wants less throat hit! :thumbs:

Reactions: DaveP

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Yeaah well i am a wuss :D i like it clean and tasty <3

No worries...enjoying vaping 0mg eliquid doesn't make you a wuss! You're certainly not the only person who likes it. It was just rare to see someone who wanted less throat hit. It's all good...whatever you vape, and how you vape it, if it keeps you off the smokes! :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread