Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
Disclaimer: I bought this mod and all extra components from the authorized supplier at the full asking price. No special obligations were incurred whatsoever, and my only consideration is to give my honest opinion based upon my experience with and use of the product.

You're probably thinking, “What? You're doing a review on a :censored:ing adapter?!? Dude, come on!” But stick with me, guys, this isn't just another mass produced threaded adapter.

For starters, it costs Twenty Eight bucks, not including shipping. It's essentially a custom made, all brass replacement for the 901 connection that ships with the Golden Greek Automatic Vapn System (GG-AVS) meant to be used with the Golden Greek Telescopic System (GGTS) and a brass extension to the 510 atty that extends the length of that atty to the 901.

For another, it's complicated. It's strongly suggested that you watch imeo's instructional video before you assemble the connector, which requires at least two adjustments to start vaping. The first is to loosen the brass screw at the bottom of the 510 connector and snug it to the bottom of your 510 atty once it's firmly placed onto the connector's top half. This is a vital aspect of the design, otherwise the semi floating center connecting pin of the GGTS/AVS can easily impale the center of the 510 atty and cause it to short circuit. (Which I did on my first attempt after rushing too quickly through the instructions.)

The second adjustment is to loosen or tighten the brass nut at the top of the connector to control the amount of juice going into the 510 atty. The further up the nut is, the less juice is delivered versus being rotated down. The video suggests higher voltage attys should receive more juice to keep from popping. Viscosity of the juice (PG vs VG) may come into play in this adjustment as well.

Imeo's video then suggests additional steps in securing the top of the avs in stages to avoid the atty from being flooded. This hasn't been strictly necessary for me so far in vaping a LR510 with a high drain 18650, but then again your results may vary.

Veteran AVS/AFS hands can then use the Control Ring to fine tune the air/juice intake mixture while vaping.

And like the 901 connection on the AVS, the juice tank has to be screwed into the collector tank tightly enough to make sure the parts concucting electricity touch, but loosely enough to not cut off air flow into the mod.

When everything's lined up correctly, the native 510 in the AVS is a treat. While the LR510 powered by a 18650 is not quite the fog machine that I've expereienced in other mods, it offers a consistent if subdued vape, nice taste and glorious throat hit. You can hit the button two, five or fifteen times in a row and get the same hit every time. The large tank of the AVS, battery capacity of the 18650 and low juice consumption of the LR510 promise enjoyable vaping for an extended time. In addition, the setup doesn't appear to leak juice into the collection tank as the 901 connection the AVS ships with; after a day of vaping, it's bone dry.

But the connection adds its own additional level of complexity to an already complicated and interconnected-if mechanically simple-mod. If it's not firing or the draw is off, tracing down the problem can be something akin to a pilot following a preflight checklist on a small to medium sized airplane. There's a reason why every element of this modular mod carries the disclaimer on the vaporkings website “for advanced users only”. Not wanting to sound like a broken record*, but a mod of this complexity could and should have a little better documentation than the home webcam video made by it's creator in Greece, who speaks English as a second language.** Precise written instructions accompanied by some clear pictures or illustrations would greatly help the users of this mod, and may help to lessen its complexity to the end user.

If you're an old GG hand, and/or already have the GGTS/AVS there's no reason to not get the connector unless you just hate 510 attys. The connection brings a little bit of the versatility of the GGTS (any atty and every batty) in 2nd gen mode to the AVS itself. If you're a veteran vaper and are now considering the GGTS/AVS due to this new ability, be advised that you're probably not going to throw this mod together in five minutes and walk out the door vaping with it; be prepared to give yourself half an afternoon sans distractions and interruptions. Newbies should seriously consider a simpler 3rd gen mod unless they're vaping prodogies and have a lot of time on their hands.

This is a first impressions review, but I'll come back to update it after more use. This won't be easy since I'll be playing with a couple of great mods from redeyedancer that also favor the LR510 atty: the Mini Reo and the Reo Grand(which should be called the 'Reo Grande', but that's not my call). I'll be back to update this thread as a time and conditions permit.

*I wonder if this is a valid analogy anymore in the days of CD's and MP3's.

**No rip on Imeo for his English skills, which are excellent for a second language speaker.

sanfordf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2010
Northern San Diego county
Clyde,..Always carry a spare. Decent review, as always. Maybe you could compile an english instruction sheet for Imeo. It sounds as if you're gaining plenty of first hand experience. I personally am waiting for an AVS for the GGTB I just recieved 10/27. I think that the GGTB will be a big seller, for the rest of us, to get into the GG family of products.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Clyde,..Always carry a spare. Decent review, as always. Maybe you could compile an english instruction sheet for Imeo. It sounds as if you're gaining plenty of first hand experience. I personally am waiting for an AVS for the GGTB I just recieved 10/27. I think that the GGTB will be a big seller, for the rest of us, to get into the GG family of products.

1. Yeah, I hear what you're saying about carrying spares. But sitting at a desk piled high with documents in a suit does not necessarily lend itself well to draining a tank and disassembling small, juice soaked components, and a car even less.

2. It sounds like Cappy is the new resident AVS and 510 connection expert on the forums. May have to start a tips and tricks thread on the GG forum.

3. Noticed the TB on the VK site. Nice features for the price, but the lack of 18650 capacity is enough for me to pass, especially after having a TS. Is imeo doing an AVS just for the TB, or is he just making more of the AFSv2 which uses the 901 connection?

4. Thanks for the compliment. I'm certainly a GG enthusiast, but they're not perfect yet. Good designs and great craftsmanship, but they do come with some tradeoffs.

sanfordf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2010
Northern San Diego county
1. Yeah, I hear what you're saying about carrying spares. But sitting at a desk piled high with documents in a suit does not necessarily lend itself well to draining a tank and disassembling small, juice soaked components, and a car even less.

2. It sounds like Cappy is the new resident AVS and 510 connection expert on the forums. May have to start a tips and tricks thread on the GG forum.

3. Noticed the TB on the VK site. Nice features for the price, but the lack of 18650 capacity is enough for me to pass, especially after having a TS. Is imeo doing an AVS just for the TB, or is he just making more of the AFSv2 which uses the 901 connection?

4. Thanks for the compliment. I'm certainly a GG enthusiast, but they're not perfect yet. Good designs and great craftsmanship, but they do come with some tradeoffs.

GGTB 002.jpg GGTB 001.jpg

Hi Clyde.
1. Even if your spare is just a 5v pass through at your desk or a coupla' 510 batts and some cartomizers in the car. It still beats the heck out of the aggravation of nothing.

2. Cappy's videos are pretty good, in that east coast kinda' way. He's amassing quite the collection of GG stuff/mods.

3. At the time I purchased the GGTB, I also purchased 2 - Black AW 17670 1600mah batts. I had been using my 18650s in my Indulgences. I think the 17670s seem a bit better and last quite well. He is working on a AFS for the GGTB. I think it is still in the 'design' faze of his thinking. It will be slimmer.

4. You are welcome. Your time and efforts are appreciated by more than myself. Every product has room for improvement. That's because, like governments, one type can't satisfy everyone. And we all feel entitled to our specific satisfaction(s).

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
My testing and use of the 510 connection-and for that matter, my GGTS and AVS-have been temporarily suspended.

I've been trying out a couple of new vapes by redeyedancer, the Reo Mini and the Reo Grand. Really well put together metal boxes that offer a choice of native 510 or 901 attys or cartos with a simple adapter. I'm really groovin' on the Grande, which offers a choice of 18650's or two cr123a's, my favorite battery choices.

My impressions of the connector have been less than favorable so far, but then again, it hasn't gotten much of a fair chance to prove itself. I'm not liking the complexity of the mod, and have found it to be a bit temperamental, especially when matched with the relative complexity of the GGTS.

I'm going to come back to this connector and the ggts at a later point when I have some time...hopefully before the holidays start in earnest...give everything a good cleaning, and start over.

Not wanting to bash the TS or AVS, but the metal Reos are just exceptionally great frakkin' mods. I'm not going to get rid of the GGTS under any circumstances, it mechanical construction and versatility makes it a great vaping apocalypse mod...if the :censored: hits the fan and everything's heavily restricted or outlawed, I'll be able to use whatever hardware I can find, period.

On a related note, I'm wondering if the reduced oxidation properties of the new mod make through cleaning not quite so necessary on a regular basis. Can anyone with both variants give me their feedback on this?

Thanks again for your patience. I just felt I had to be honest about what was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread