Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
I am guessing maybe my tip.. wasn't the solution to your problem... I think I saw in another thread that you are using 901 tips.. and one or two (i think imeo was one) suggested that could be the issue... I would agree with that as a great possibility... since the cart might cover the cartomizer opening.. since the breath holes (of the cart) are on the side....

not sure if someone suggested it.. but if you still want to use the cart.. you can shave the end of the 901 cart (with a razor blade ) so it doesn't make direct contact with the filler and cup the cartomizer opening

When I get some more time to frak with this, I'll put my plastic afs mouthpiece on one of the new cartos, thanks LGD.

On the positive side, I'm hoping that the production version will be close enough to the Grande so I can reap the knowledge and expertise of the GG brain trust.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Just for kicks, and to refute the claim of a woman on the GG forum that the grande is much too big for her*, I put the Grande into mini mode with a single 3.7v imr cr123 battery. The grande screwed directly onto the brass telescoping piece just fine, and the high drain could more than handle the i3 iatty.

Normally, I'm more concerned with having to lug around extra batteries than the size of the mod, but this isn't bad. If I'm in a 3.7v mood, it could be a viable option for short trips: it can fit in a shirt pocket, and a extra cr123 or two can be carried in a pants pocket without too much discomfort.

*Please insert sexual innuendo or double entendre of your choice here.

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-07-07 at 06.51.jpg
    Photo on 2010-07-07 at 06.51.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 78

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Damn, that thing is huge...

...I wished he'd kept the bigger tank!!!

That would make my Big Storm almost a foot and a half!!

Besides making the tank smaller, imeo stated he tweaked the production design in a couple of ways. This should hopefully eliminate the occasional seepage issues I'm having with mine, even with cartos.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
I was playing around with another mod last weekend,* and I was introduced to the LR510 atty. Pretty effin' impressive at 3.7v. The Kaji mod uses a copper pipe jammed into the battery end of the atty to juice it from the bottom.

So now I'm thinkin'**...Geez, if this will work in a AFS, it would give HVish type vape, plus TH, and could use the 18650's all day vaping power.

Would this be possible in either the AM or the Grande? Would it just be getting a regular 901 to 510 adapter or would more modding be required?

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
I was playing around with another mod last weekend,* and I was introduced to the LR510 atty. Pretty effin' impressive at 3.7v. The Kaji mod uses a copper pipe jammed into the battery end of the atty to juice it from the bottom.

So now I'm thinkin'**...Geez, if this will work in a AFS, it would give HVish type vape, plus TH, and could use the 18650's all day vaping power.

Would this be possible in either the AM or the Grande? Would it just be getting a regular 901 to 510 adapter or would more modding be required?

couldn't you just use a LR901 or better yet a LRcartimizer (of course I am not sure if those are out yet.. I THINK nhaler has them now, but not sure)

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
couldn't you just use a LR901 or better yet a LRcartimizer (of course I am not sure if those are out yet.. I THINK nhaler has them now, but not sure)

I suppose. But the 901 is just missing the 510's TH. Sigh. I sent vapnaway a PM to get his advice.

And I prefer ordering from Rob whenever possible due to his quick shipping and reasonable posting prices.

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
I suppose. But the 901 is just missing the 510's TH. Sigh. I sent vapnaway a PM to get his advice.

And I prefer ordering from Rob whenever possible due to his quick shipping and reasonable posting prices.

Yeah I don't blame ya...Rob would be my first choice ;)

vapn should give you some excellent advice... also if you can find in the GG forum(maybe you have seen it already).. they discuss how to "modify" the 901>510 adapter to get it to work on the AFSv2 and I am guessing it will work on the other AFSs as well.. I just haven't gotten to that point to need to mod anything more :D...

sorry for my shotgun response... I am sure you have everything handled...

Good Luck

LGD

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
Yea you need to file down the threads a little bit to get the adapter 901-510 to thread all the way down on the AFS AM connector. The 510 should in theory work just like the 901 inside the tank by pulling in juice from its two breather holes and air into the center pole. I have not had a need to try this as I love the cartomizer in the V2 myself. I do have a spare V2 now so its time to give this a go. Off to get the file. Lets hope I don't mess it up, wish me luck.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Yea you need to file down the threads a little bit to get the adapter 901-510 to thread all the way down on the AFS AM connector. The 510 should in theory work just like the 901 inside the tank by pulling in juice from its two breather holes and air into the center pole. I have not had a need to try this as I love the cartomizer in the V2 myself. I do have a spare V2 now so its time to give this a go. Off to get the file. Lets hope I don't mess it up, wish me luck.

Good luck, ye intrepid explorer. Let us know how it comes out, and post some pictures, okey dokey?

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
As everyone has doubtlessly figured out by now, I am an emonty convert: meaning that I just frakkin' love cartos at 6v on my ggts/grande.

I've been having a bit of trouble with my tenergy cr123 lifepo4's, though. Seems that I have a tendency to overtighten them just a bit when stacking them in the TS and create divots in the top one. I'm not wild about the use I'm getting between charges, especially compared with the 18650.

OTOH, I love the life I get out of the high drain 18650's, and lack of a divot problem with them, but they're in the 'close, but no cigar' category when pushing current through a cartoed AFS. Nice for longer, slower drags but they don't have the glorious short puff of vape when using cigar juice.

I suspect this is probably not the case, but does anyone know of a 6v battery roughly the size of a 18650 that doesn't require a special charger? I'm probably SOL, but thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm also facing what to use in my weekend long car trip this weekend when I drop off the kids with the evil bit-I mean their mother-in Illinois. The cr123s do have a good car charger which can handle the divots with just a bit of tinfoil to make contact. The 18650's last longer, but don't have a car charger. Figure I'll throw in a couple of spare iattys if my carto gives out on the way.

18650 at 3.7v or cr123's at 6v? Or should I just stuff my bag full with everything and try to sort it out as I go? I'm thinking the 3.7v option would use less juice, which would mean less refilling during the journey.

If anyone has any advice or feedback, I'd appreciate it.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Well, I think I'm taking the GGTS Grande at 6v with me on the looooonnnnnnggggg car trip this weekend.

Carto gave out on me yesterday, so I was able to put in a fresh one. That should give me a week's use. Will take a i6 iatty as a spare.

Got some more tenergy lifepo4's in, and traded with a friend for some generic 3v li-ion's just in case. (Now if he will just give me my 3/3.6 charger back...) Tinfoil strips for charging the batteries with divots will also be taken.

Also going to take some healthcabin "cuban cigar" juice I just bought. Truthfully, meh. But at least it doesn't taste like fruit.:blush:

I also think I'm just about done with the tenergy lifepo4's. Besides the old ones getting divots, the new ones don't seem to hold a charge very well. (Maybe Xu Li got his ramen supply at the factory cut when he was making my batteries in the glorious People's Republic.) But if I'm going to get crap batteries, I may as well buy li-ons in bulk from flea-bay.

Anyway, I'm going to meet the soul crushing bi-polar ex wife to drop off my son, so pray for me. My 14 year old daughter is staying with me this year, so pray for me twice. :nun:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
...except that I'm NOT laughing.

Day one...pick up kids, drive six hours to Topeka. Visit with big sis, listen to Mom, let the kids swim and run amok with their cousins.

Day two...leave daughter with sis, load up son, drive six hours to Illinois. Drop son off with ex, pick up daughter's belongings, drive six hours back through Missouri in a thunderstorm. Get crazy calls from almost every divorce client in the interim, and wonder what they think I can do driving through another state in the middle of a weekend. I haven't been listening to the news...did Al-Qaeda drop crazy pills into the water supply or something?

Day three...pack up daughter, and try to recuperate from day two as I drive six hours back to red dirt country. GGTS w/Grande quits working. Arrive home, unpack, try to get everything ready for hectic, breakneck upcoming week.

No luck on ggts no1 with grande. ggts 2 won't work with afs-am. Can halfway get vape out of no2 with a 18650 and a 510. Ugh, so early 2009. CJB at 3.7 will only halfway work, can barely get anything resembling vape out of the trusty MkV as well.

I know I'm exhausted, and stressed out. It's probably time to disassemble and clean all of my GG gear. I just have no time, energy and inclination to do so. There is just too much to do right now, and things are going to get a lot worse in the next couple of days.

Swear to God, I'm just about to the point of saying :censored: it and quitting vaping. Was able to get through a fair chunk of the day without nicotine, maybe God's telling me it's time to completely give it up. Could go ahead and step up the adopt a smoker program for the review mods, and stick the stuff I bought on the classifieds.

I'm wondering how much extra time I'll have if I'm not loading up and hauling vaping gear, charging batteries, ordering juice and supplies, or :censored:ing around on the forum. May have to say to hell with it tomorrow and limp into a world without nicotine, grumbling as I go. To be honest, I wonder if going off the e-cigs are a fraction as bad as cold turkey off of analogs.

:censored: it, I'm going to bed.

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
You are just being over stressed.. it will pass... I would say for now do what you gotta do

whether cold turkey, or back to smoking... or go back to basics with ecigs... last one would be my choice...

don't worry there is plenty of time to regroup after the storm... drink a beer go to bed and just ride the wave till the water settles.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Okay, along with a little sleep, a little sanity.

Grande appears to be working with my spare ggts, which means that my workhorse just needs to be cleaned. Will try to do this before I leave the house if time permits.

Also will be starting a diet with the wife this week, so quitting vaping is out as a practical matter. The wife and I both have friends who are afflicted with bi-polar disorder; quitting vaping plus starting a diet at the same time makes me think of some of their self destructive decisions.

A couple of minor equipment mishaps probably wouldn't have been a big deal if I had been (relatively) leisurely sitting around this house last weekend. But combined with physical and mental exhaustion it almost took me to the breaking point.

Thanks for the support, LGD. Sound advice, except for the having a beer part: I'm supposed to pick up a ten year chip next week.

One positive thing. The healthcabin cuban cigar does NOT taste like a good cigar, but it is a passable analog tasting mix.

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Well, a quick cleaning of ggts #61 didn't do the trick, decided on some more drastic measures. Disassembled all of it (except the top-atty-cap) and threw it in the wife's jewelry cleaner for 30-40 minutes.

I do remember reading that extended use/abuse can cause dirt and et cetera to accumulate and slowly impede the parts of the mod that carry current to the point that it quits working.

Yea for the wife's second job/hobby selling custom jewelry and for her ultrasonic jewelry cleaner sitting on our kitchen countertop. Double yea for the relatively unused ggts sitting in the desk drawer.

Will have time to wipe it down and let it dry on a paper towel before I head off to battle this morning. I can't help but wonder if the malfunction was part of the normal ggts oxidation/dirt catching process, or if a leak in the grande accelerated it. I've only had to clean the ggts once before now since I got it in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread