GGTB Woodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torqueguy

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2011
Central Virginia
This project has been a labor of love for almost a year now. It started because I was trying to combine the strength and compactness of metal with the sheer beauty of love. Through trial and error I think I've perfected the veneering process on several prototypes. My other concern was the finish durability as I wanted these things to old up the way a GGTB should. Originally I used a gun finish called Tru-oil and while that is a great finish, the amount of drying time and hand rubbing made the project impractical. I have found an alternative Epoxy product that is very durable yet easy to work with.

In chats with Imeo, he and others persuaded me to look at producing these in a small quantity. I have a full time job that requires extensive travel so I was concerned about commiting and not delivering. Imeo then was kind enough to send me 20 GGTB tubes! What could I do but accept his friendly challenge?

Here's a shot of 10 of them. I was too lazy to unwrap the other 10 but I have 20. Upper and lower caps are on order as are the buttons through Bruce at COV and delivery of those is still out a couple months, maybe less.

18882A19-1653-4410-AC62-0F095AE37F3C-1164-0000017AF5C5F6B1.jpg

A0C9A568-BE2B-4133-9BB5-F5D465CC581B-438-000000AE946548B8.jpg

My initial thought was to wrap 10 in exotic wood and possibly have the other 10 Sterling Silver Plated by a gent that does work for Williamsburg VA, then to have them hand engraved with personalized SN's, initias, letters your call. Silver has a beautiful shine as we all know but is soft and requires gentle handling.

Here's a shot of the Silver GGTB but to be honest, my iPhone camera doesnt do it justice
2011-12-29_14-57-29_383.jpg

I haven't settled on a price yet but they will be in the $300-$350 delivered anywhere in the world with $25 of each piece going towards a special charity for the children of Appalachia. You can check them out here. Home.

One of these is reserved for Imeo and one for me, that leaves us 18 units. I would really like to do this project in conjunction with you guys, my friends here on the ECF. I've applied for and received authorization to be a Supplier "something or other" so I can discuss and sell this product only on this Sub Forum and with Imeo's approval

Here's a shot of what they will look like. This is my personal one wrapped in Amboyna Burl.
E80DD301-EF87-437E-9DC7-5A6442BA2C78-1164-0000017B0E4A7CB3.jpg

I have Walnut Crotch Burl, Curly Maple, Striped Ebony, Bubinga and Eucalyptus Burl. The binder is Marine Epoxy which will make these waterproof and the topcoat as I said will be Epoxy as well.

I guess the only thing to do now is start a list. The list is on the honor system, just indicate which wood you want and post your wishes on this thread. I'll start working on them in the order they come in. Please don't push Imeo or Bruce on when the caps and buttons will be ready, I'm sure they'll be here soon enough.

thanks and lets have fun doing this

Marcelo

RiverNut

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Texas
Thanks River.

Now you have to decide matt or gloss finish. If you get Gloss, you can always matt it down but to go from matt to gloss takes elbow grease
Oh I forgot about that...just like my other one Marcelo...matt finish. And thank you for doing this as I've been hoping it was still going to happen.

Imeo, are you going to get to make special diameter caps for these? I realize it might be too costly for this small of batch but I saw it mentioned and thought I'd ask.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Yes I will do it just for Torq, for my customers and especially for the children out there River. I didnt ask for anything from Torq and I will not ask him for anything for the caps too. This is his work, not mine. Maybe if one day we deside to produce them in big quantities we well talk about money.
I am also sure that Torq will not earn any special amount of money too making those woodies. They are very expensive units but very unique too. Also its a great oportunity to put colours on GGTB. Plating or painting was an option but will leave the surface soon and we cant have many choices like we have with wood. And of course we cant compare a work of art compiling wood and metal with a simple metal plating work
Oh I forgot about that...just like my other one Marcelo...matt finish. And thank you for doing this as I've been hoping it was still going to happen.

Imeo, are you going to get to make special diameter caps for these? I realize it might be too costly for this small of batch but I saw it mentioned and thought I'd ask.

RiverNut

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Texas
That's awesome Imeo, thank you! As you said the combination of wood and metal is beautiful. I always wanted a wood mod but box mods are ugly and awkward in my opinion. These are one of a kind by the very nature of wood as well as the work and love Marcelo puts into these mods of an already very nice ecig.

Yes I will do it just for Torq, for my customers and especially for the children out there River. I didnt ask for anything from Torq and I will not ask him for anything for the caps too. This is his work, not mine. Maybe if one day we deside to produce them in big quantities we well talk about money.
I am also sure that Torq will not earn any special amount of money too making those woodies. They are very expensive units but very unique too. Also its a great oportunity to put colours on GGTB. Plating or painting was an option but will leave the surface soon and we cant have many choices like we have with wood. And of course we cant compare a work of art compiling wood and metal with a simple metal plating work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread