The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Gift suggestions to two total noobs. And one for myself...

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by F-machine, Dec 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. F-machine

F-machine Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 24, 2018
    Trapped in Asia
    I wanna send two of my friends some late Christmas gifts, and I want it to be vaping stuff. They are heavy smokers like I once was. The thing is, I want to hook them. But looking at starter kits, I don't really like any of the sub ohm tanks and mods I see. Maybe because I already graduated from them and I know how they work? I also don't like to give them RTAs similar to what I use because I fear that they see it as too complicated. And we don't see each other anymore. I will be sending it to them but we will not see each other personally so I can't teach them. I don't really know. I need to go back to that "noob mindset" and find what will interest me as a new vaper. What will hook me and what not.

I have one eye locked on the aegis mini kit, if any of you have this mod and tell me how good they are, I might pull the trigger on them. Other ideas as well, if any of you gave someone some vaping stuff and you got them hooked, what did you give them?

For myself, I am looking at three top airflow tanks, The Wotofo Serpent Elevate, Zeus dual RTA and The OBS Engine V2. I only need one... I really like the Serpent elevate, but if any of you can say something nice about the Zeus Dual or OBS engine, I may re consider. I wiil buy tomorrow. Thanks all! Happy Holidays!

2. Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    The thing with giving gifts of RTAs, you're gonna want to give something you can support. With that in mind, the Serpent Elevate is easy to build, but can be twitchy to wick.

Also, those new to vaping may be intimidated by building (and frustrated by leaking).

Consider, then, the Smok Baby Beast Brother X-tank. It's a top air (no leaking) subohm tank with an available RBA section that is easy to build and wick.

If you're set on an RTA, the Solomon 2 is a dead simple to build and wick single coil RTA with top airflow. The Vapefly Horus is another to look at.

Regardless of the topper, the Aegis Mini is a fair choice. Personally, I will never again buy a mod with an internal battery... No matter how you pamper it, it'll be a paperweight in a few years. But, that's a couple years with a solid mod, so...

Alternately, the Ijoy Saber is a single 20700 100watt stick mod with a decent tank (has an available single coil RBA). The Nunchaku is similar, but only offers 80watts and no RBA.

For yourself, the Zeus Dual woukd be my choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Shawn Hoefer

Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    • Like Like x 2
  4. United States

United States Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    What would they want? That would be the question.

Too often we want to give a gift but tend to consider only what we would like to receive.

A refillable pen device with adjustable airflow and a good ohm range selection of drop in's can allow a novice to decide their style then you can help them from there. MTL, DTL, sub ohm, low watt toodle puffer etc.

I've met lots of folks who started with a pen. Some stuck with it. Some chose pods later. Some carry jumbo vapes. Some puff massive clouds while others a slight whisp of output.

You say you'd like to see them stick with vaping so make sure they can figure out what style of vape they prefer. Hook 'em up with some apple, or berry juice or something that anybody likes. Grape perhaps, or a nice pineapple menthol etc.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. F-machine

Nov 24, 2018
    Trapped in Asia
    @Shawn Hoefer
    Thanks man! The only reason I am interested in the aegis mini is that of the built-in batts. I think as a starter, they would need something that's always ready and not need to look for and read about battery info, at least at first. They should learn about batts, I know but if they can use those type of mods until they become paperweights, I'm sure they got hooked by then and should learn on their own. I could also easily choose the OBS cube for the same reasons. Maybe I could just buy the mods and send them my used SMOK TFV8s and TFV12s... I just need to buy some replacement coils to last maybe a month... I will think about this.

Oh, and that link is good, for you and me... I think they can easily mess up purchasing batteries and I don't wanna blow their nice beards away.

@United States

I kinda feel awkward asking them what they would like, I'm sure they will feel the same so I just want to surprise them. They are brothers BTW, and our friendship is like brothers too. They don't live together but works at the same place so I can get what I mentioned above and another pen or pod maybe and just let them borrow each others device? I'm not sure though. I see them interested in vaping but can't seem to take out that initial investment for devices, so I'm doing it for them. I just don't want them to do what I did and waste lots of time and money on smaller devices that I ended up losing or breaking in frustrations.

MTL, DTL, squonk or whatever other maneuvers we vapers do like tricks, they will need to learn after the fact. I don't think they know about those stuff yet. All they will need to know at the beginning is how to suck the thing down and stop smoking! LOL I will send them some video links at first and they should figure out the rest on their own.

I just pulled the trigger on that Serpent Elevate for myself though. I think I'll be fine with that one. I can see and read one of the resident chick here got the Zeus Dual and is having some issues... LOL

• Like Like x 2
  6. Shawn Hoefer

Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    There's a new version of the OBS Cube coming with the OBS Engine MTL. That would be a nice kit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    The standard noob kit has around here been for some time the kroma-a kit. It comes with an excellent mtl coil cartridge that emulates a cigarette quite well, and is both very easy to change coils on and leak resistant. The kroma mod itself is a larger quite simple sealed battery mod with MicroUSB2 recharge and enough capacity to drive the atty for a full day. Plus the kit is fairly cheap. Might want to bundle it with a wta juice just to make sure they feel satisfied by the experience.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I would be more inclined to send them a gift certificate to an online vape shop or research if they have one locally you can contact and make arrangements with. Vape gear is so personalized. Maybe just send a few links to different setups and see what attracts them first.

Just to see if they might stick with vaping just buy one a pod and the other a innokin t18 II.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. F-machine

Nov 24, 2018
    Trapped in Asia
    The situation... I am in Taiwan, they are in The Philippines. Online shops here and there are like different worlds. I got the OBS coming in two days. A friend will go to Philippines for the new year and I will send the gifts to them via this friend.

@Shawn Hoefer , thanks for the heads up mate, but I can't find that kit with the OBS engine. But I got the regular kit and some mesh coils to match. I think they will do alright.

I can't send juice, I don't know importing laws back there and here, and I don't wanna put someone in trouble. Vape shops are everywhere afaik in PH. Thanks for all suggestions, time is my enemy, I have to pull the trigger today or the package will be late... So I got two OBS cube kits and two blisters of coils, one for each. Looks better and also $10 cheaper than the aegis mini kit. All for US$110 including shipping.. Not a bad deal IMO... I'll give them a call once they receive the package and we'll go from there!

Thanks all guys! Happy New Year! Sorry the thread needs to be solved in less than 24 hours... Out of time... Out of time... /thread

• Like Like x 3
  10. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I have the Aegis Mini and highly recommend it. In fact, I'm giving this mod along with the Innokin Zenith tank for Christmas to my daughter, her boyfriend, and my son.

My daughter is only a recreational vaper, so her vaping preference is more along the lines of a MTL, low wattage vaper. The Innokin Zenith tank fits this profile better than the Cerberus tank that comes with the Aegis Mini, which is a DTL higher wattage, sub-ohm tank. If you can buy the mod and tank separately, that would be the way to go IMHO.

Her significant other is a DTL, high wattage, sub-ohm vaper who uses a rebuildable RDA on a Lost Vape Paranormal DNA. She likes the clouds his setup has, but she is not a fan of the warmer vape of the sub-ohm high wattage setup. I think the Zenith will be perfect for her as a relatively new vaper. It is a popular tank and the coils should be easily available in local vape shops where she lives, or she can order them online.

The Aegis Mini's 2200mAh internal battery only takes half an hour to charge from empty to full, and of course it is shockproof and waterproof. It is also more pocket-friendly than the Innokin Kroma A mod, which has a similar 2200 mAh battery.

Don't get me wrong, the Geekvape Cerberus tank is a great tank, but it is a sub-ohm higher wattage tank. I would think a new vaper would prefer the lower wattage MTL experience of the Zenith tank.

Aegis Mini mod
    Innokin Zenith tank

• Like Like x 1
  11. F-machine

Nov 24, 2018
    Trapped in Asia
    :facepalm: oh my... I already have my sights on those aegis minis... but went for the cheaper OBS. Anyways, I guess no one can go wrong at this stage, I mean starting for someone... But I will keep notice of the aegis mini for next gift option! I also really like it, I just went cheap to get a few blisters of extra coils.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    OBS is a good choice, you shouldn't have any regrets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.