Give advice to a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellaboots

Sep 25, 2013
Western MD, USA
Hi, I've been absorbing the info on ECF for the last week, and I am waiting on my EVOD starter kit to arrive.

My question is this: what supplies would you recommend to have as a back-up? I can't afford much, but I want to have enough back-up gear that I feel comfortable not having any tobacco in the house.

There are two of us, one a heavy user (me) and one a light user.

I assume we each need an extra battery, but how many do you think is necessary to have an adequate supply? How often will I need to replace?
Same with the other parts and eliquid.

I know this is subjective, but I REALLY want to quit analogs, wipe down the walls, and be done with the stink forever. Knowing I have enough supplies for any eventuality will help me, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance:)

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
You should both have at least 2 Evod Batteries each so that while one is charging, you will have the other one to vape with. And then, of course, you will hear it is wise to have backup for your backup. Eventually, if I was the heavy smoker as you are, I would want maybe even another battery in case, God forbid, you lose a battery or it quits working. I'd also have at least 2 chargers because sometimes these things just quit working for no reason. Also, just make sure you order more tanks for it ahead of time. Don't wait until you have one replaceable head left only to find for some strange reason it doesn't work and you don't have anything else.

balld

Jun 6, 2013
Ireland
Im vaping since 1st June this year - so i'm nearly 4 months in and one of the first things i did after a month or so (when i was convinced that vaping was for me!!!) i purchased a 3rd battery. I would class myself as a retired heavy smoker and i do vape quiet a bit of juice -
Initially i purchased a starter kit with 2 batteries included. one of these became faulty and in fairness to the vendor he replaced it immediately (fair play ezsmoke) so since then I've purchased a 3rd battery about a month ago and now i notice one of my originals is on the way out. I'm here now with 2 relatively good batteries but I can see the deterioration in them and i will be making sure I'm not stuck with just 2 batteries. My next purchase will be a backup backup battery - probably a vv or a vw -
My theory would be if you are sure you are going to stick to vaping get a 3rd battery.

IMZed

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2013
Hamilton, OH, USA
As a back up back up - or even as a starter - I would seriously recommend the eGo-C starter kit available at My Freedom Smokes. This was my first starter kit and I have several more in reserve. For those of us on a limited budget I would heartily suggest it because at $14.95 you get a 650 mah eGo-c battery, CE4 clearomizer (the long wicks), and the USB charger.

Welcome to ECT and the world of vaping!

Reroka

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Durham, North Carolina
Get atleast 1 pro tank 2 for that juice that you can vape all day. That way you do not have to fill up as much. 2 batteries, 2 charges one for home one for work or the car.

Check out my baker vaper. great prices on juice. Pluse you can make your own if you want.

Hi, I've been absorbing the info on ECF for the last week, and I am waiting on my EVOD starter kit to arrive.

My question is this: what supplies would you recommend to have as a back-up? I can't afford much, but I want to have enough back-up gear that I feel comfortable not having any tobacco in the house.

There are two of us, one a heavy user (me) and one a light user.

I assume we each need an extra battery, but how many do you think is necessary to have an adequate supply? How often will I need to replace?
Same with the other parts and eliquid.

I know this is subjective, but I REALLY want to quit analogs, wipe down the walls, and be done with the stink forever. Knowing I have enough supplies for any eventuality will help me, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance:)

Reroka

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Durham, North Carolina
To add to my other post. I was told to get a pro tank by a person. I thought to my self nah I wont need it. Man did I ever get sick of having to refill my tank 3 to 4 tims a day. Pluse trying to clean the juice for the Drip tip once I opend the bottem screw.

The pro tank 2 is really good for long car rides, when you are a way from home and you do not have your juice on you. Trust me it's worth the 18.99 you pay for it.

Go to DiscountVapers - Your source for savings on electronic cigarettes and accessories, Go-go eGo, vGo
for it. Really great prices on replacement part and other items. Plus fast shipping. I receive my items in 2 days.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
+1 on the recommendations of Mt. Baker and Discount Vapers. Those are great sites with great prices and customer service.

You'll need spare Evod tanks and spare Evod replacement coils. I would figure at least a five pack per person, and expect to get another batch in 4-6 weeks. The spare battery units were already mentioned.

The Evod kit is a high quality system and a solid performer. You'll like it.

As for liquids, look for sites with sample packs or samples for sale. You might also see if there's a local e-cig store or one in your area that will let you "try before you buy." Hunting the right liquid is key. It doesn't matter how good your setup is if the liquid makes you go "blechh."

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Get dripping atomizers for the days you don't want to stick with one juice. You'll want more than one tank for regular use. I have 7-carto tanks ready at all times, and I typically cycle through all the flavors in a day. I personally use carto tanks, but if you're looking for the cheapest back-up tank to maintain, I'd go with a protank or an iclear 30. I only have two 18650 batteries and a good several 14500 batteries. The 18650's are 2600 and 3400 mAh, and I don't walk around needing more than one mod on me. I haven't had any issues of not having a battery ready with just the two. I haven't used a 14500 in a while, but I'd recommend getting more than just two of the lower capacity batteries. You'll know when your battery needs to be tossed in the garbage/appropriate discarding method.

Always keep your favorite liquid stocked up. You may need to get more than you think depending on vendors you use. One of my favorite vendors has to steep for at least two weeks, so that can cause issues if I don't plan ahead. Get a reliable charger, and maybe even get an extra one. Try as many delivery methods as you can.

Learn Ohm's Law.

Stellaboots

Sep 25, 2013
Western MD, USA
As a back up back up - or even as a starter - I would seriously recommend the eGo-C starter kit available at My Freedom Smokes. This was my first starter kit and I have several more in reserve. For those of us on a limited budget I would heartily suggest it because at $14.95 you get a 650 mah eGo-c battery, CE4 clearomizer (the long wicks), and the USB charger.

Welcome to ECT and the world of vaping!

That's a great idea- I saw those when checking out different kits. Having one of those blister packs in reserve would be like having that emergency pack squirreled away.

cedric212

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
IMHO, a budget mechanical in the $20-30 range is a great choice for backup for any device. Cheap, reliable, and easy to fix/troubleshoot due to its simplicity. Once you get your EVOD kit, see if you enjoy the vape. The replaceable heads costs $1-2 and will last you maybe ~1week but will depend greatly on the upkeep and the type of eliquid you use. If you're willing to learn to rebuild, grab some kanthal (~$5 for 100') off ebay and sterile cotton from CVS and rebuild the heads for :2c:s.

Sites I frequently visit for deals:

http://.........blogspot.com/
gotsmok.com | Top source for e cigarette discounts, deals and steals.

Good luck and welcome to ECF :)

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana
As long as you are both happy with the evod I would suggest another starter set, that way you each have an extra battery, tank, 2 chargers between you. 1 more batt that you can share as backup #2. At the first sign a battery is giving up get another. For the coil heads probably 10 between the 2 of you, you can get 5 packs pretty reasonable from several online suppliers. Juice is subjective depending on how much each uses, flavors each like, and nic level. Try to find a good flavor or 2 and always have it on hand, don't let yourself run low. Make use of the sample packs some vendors offer, with 2 of you in the house it will really be worth it, as you both look for your favs.

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
I would add that the amount of liquid you vape will depend on a few things. First, the nicotine level. I started with 18 mg/L and a month later dropped that down to 12 mg/L. I find that I am vaping more of the 12 mg/L than I was the 18mg/L. Second, how much you smoked before and of what kind of cigarette. I used to smoke a pipe heavily and I currently am going through up to 3 ml of juice per day.

The starter rigs that people have mentioned here are just fine to learn on. You'll want to improve your rig pretty quickly though. Starter rigs generally have small batteries and little tanks. I started with a Kanger Protank 2 and two Smoktech 1100mAh variable voltage batteries. Was a terrific setup and I still use all of it, but have moved on. I like what I am using now and am on the juice hunt.

I hope this helps you out, vaping is a terrific alternative to smoking and you are in what I feel is the best possible place to learn. Good luck and have fun!

Reroka

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Durham, North Carolina
This, since two of you are going to use it I would go with two kits. Both kits should be the bigger battery. The Evod has a 1000 MaH battery. I would sugguest getting them. I have the Evod with two 1000 batteries and I have yet to grain them both.

As long as you are both happy with the evod I would suggest another starter set, that way you each have an extra battery, tank, 2 chargers between you. 1 more batt that you can share as backup #2. At the first sign a battery is giving up get another. For the coil heads probably 10 between the 2 of you, you can get 5 packs pretty reasonable from several online suppliers. Juice is subjective depending on how much each uses, flavors each like, and nic level. Try to find a good flavor or 2 and always have it on hand, don't let yourself run low. Make use of the sample packs some vendors offer, with 2 of you in the house it will really be worth it, as you both look for your favs.

rhean

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
At least two of each per person--tanks, batteries, chargers. That way, you always have a battery charged while the other is in use, and if one tank conks out, you have a spare. I believe batteries can last almost a year.

The Evods use replaceable bottom coils (heads? lol those little bits that screw into the bottom bit) so make sure to have lots of extras.

For me the trickiest bit was having enough liquid on hand. I switched to diy mostly because that way I'm certain not to run out.

Good luck wiping down the walls! :)

Last edited:

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
2 Batteries, highest milli-amp hour you can afford per person. (Milli-amp hours or mah, is a measure of how long a battery can last before needing recharge)
2 Tanks per person vaping.
1 USB charger per kit minimum, usb charger is portable and can be carried anywhere, with a wall and car adapter, the usb charger is very flexible
Wall charger adapter or a sepperate dedicated powered usb hub for at home, can find a 4 port with its own power supply at Walmart for pretty cheap
1 Car cigarette lighter port to usb adapter for when mobile in the car.

Evod tanks, 1 pack of Evod or Protank heads per person about every month.

Later down the road you can look at upgrading battery units to an APV Mod or such for the larger battery capacity and options they offer. Protanks and such like suggested above only if your liquids are know plastic killers, ie cinnamons, citrus, licorice flavors and such as an immediate buy, but if not, later down the road can be an upgrade. Next month though, definitely get some spare Evod tanks, accidents happen, egic drops on a hard floor ect. Juice sampling, invest in a 510 dripping atomizer with a drip tip (mouth piece), durable little suckers, can last a month heavy usage, simple to maintain, 3-4 drops of liquid, slap the tip on, vape away to sample your flavors, then if you like them, drop the liquid into a tank, also great little backup units.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I have 3 1300mah spinners I switch out. I use them for the drives and when out and about. I always carry two of them. I am pretty .... about making sure I am "in the area" while they are charging just so I can react in case something happens.

I am not always home for a 4-5 hour period to get them charged and I will not use a usb port on a computer or car charger to charge them.

I have drained 2 of them and worked on the third then forced my self to stay awake through the charge. Even if you think you are covered get one more backup. (of course stay withing budget, means or whatever self imposed limits you have).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread