Glad to be new here, also looking for a recommendation for a 67 year old smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bufufyne

Oct 22, 2013
Fort Wayne
Hi, pleased to meet you, I'm Laure / Bufufyne, new to the vaping world and like so many it went from a smoking alternative, to a voyage to find the best flavor, to an all consuming hobby

Right now my vaping mission is to save my grandma's life. She is going to be 68 soon, and has been smoking since she's been 12. Some progress has already been made in this mission, because she is currently smoking a gas station e-ciggerate brand with a starter pack. I don't remember the name of it, but she also got a Mach 10 I think it's called and despises that one. Problem is with her gas station bought e-ciggerates she tolerates them (only reason she is smoking them is because she hates paying $4+ a pack of camels and if she smokes her e-cig around my horrible family members they can't bum ciggerates off of her). This is good because she is now down from one pack a day to half a pack a day, it's progress but not good enough in my eyes.

I want to get her an e-cig she loves that I'm going to gladly pay for because maybe if her, the cranky old close minded lady, starts smoking only e-cigs not only will her life be healthier but maybe the rest of my crazy family will follow suit.

Me and my mom have smoked our e-cigs around her, which are usually an ego-c with an evod attached, and she is down right afraid of these. We can't even get her to try them because she says they make her feel like a drug addict and pressing the button while inhaling is difficult for her for some reason cause she will hit the button and just stare at it then get an awful burn taste after the e-liquid burned for 7 seconds straight. I want to get her one of those hybrid cigs, one that looks like an analog but can have e-juice loaded into it. I find that e-liquid is a lot cheaper than buying cartridges and this way I can get a few tobacco flavors for her to try to see what she likes the most.

Right now I'm looking the 7's Hybrid, it's a pass thru and allows e-liquid to be filled in it, it's kinda pricey, but worth it if it's something I can get her to vape all day, only problem is I'm not finding any reviews on it. Usually I go to youtube and seen what GrimmGreen or Psuardo have to say about things like these before I research them further but I'm just not finding any information.

Anyone know if these are good products, or perhaps have any recommendations on any other hybrid analog cigs?

JamesLeighe

Oct 16, 2013
USA
I'm sure the 7's is a good device, however, if it's the one I'm thinking of it's not a cigalike and so I would stay away from it, especially since your grandma already said she did not like your ego-c (and this would be sort of similar).

I would go with a cigalike with an automatic battery and refillable cartomizers. That would provide a relatively familiar and easy to use device that would also allow you to use the juices of your choice. One company I recently bought from and can recommend is Halo, however, there are a ton of great cigalikes out there and I'm sure plenty of people here can go into more detail.
E-Cigarette Starter Kit G6 | Halo Cigs

Also, try and be understanding and supportive. Change probably wont come easy for someone that age who has likely been smoking for a very long time.

EDIT: Also, if you DO go with Halo or some other cigalike, I would go with white for familiarity reasons!

Last edited:

Bufufyne

Oct 22, 2013
Fort Wayne
Thanks. I will definatley look into them, and trust me I know I have to be patient with this process. The other day she gave me a lecture about how freaky I looked using an itaste MVP 2 and that's the dumbest way to smoke a cig she's ever seen, then she started with the 'we don't really know what's in these e-cigs they could be worse than regular- and I told her it's basically nicotine, flavoring, Vegetable Glycerin, and Propylene Glycol, and then she yelled at me and said 'OH SO YOU'RE PUTTING VEGETABLE OIL DOWN YOUR THROAT', but she is frugal and if I can hook her up with a set up and nice big bottle of eliquid that will last her a while she will come around.

DorsaiMaster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2013
Lynchburg, Virginia
Having used the 7's hybrid when I first got into vaping, I would recommend that you stay away from that particular device. There plenty of other options available, the G^ kit would be a good place to start. Automatic batteries as opposed to button batteries will help her to feel more at ease about making the move. Both of my parents are in their early seventies and have recently made the move to vaping. One is using a standard button style e-go and the other is using an automatic style e-go. She will come around in time, especially after she starts to feel better from not smoking analogs anymore. Just be patient and helpful and you will succeed.

Bufufyne

Oct 22, 2013
Fort Wayne
I'm thinking about the e-mini because it seems really convenient for her, and I like the PC, but I could totally see her putting her fingers on the air holes and getting nothing as well and complaining to me about that, and she is a chain smoker and will go back to puffing on that until the battery runs out or the tank runs out and then switching back to her Camels.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I'm thinking about the e-mini because it seems really convenient for her, and I like the PC, but I could totally see her putting her fingers on the air holes and getting nothing as well and complaining to me about that, and she is a chain smoker and will go back to puffing on that until the battery runs out or the tank runs out and then switching back to her Camels.

If she's a chain smoker eRoll batts aren't enuff mah- 90 mah and the cartridges only hold .6 ml juice. My :2c: would be the Volt from Smokeless Image- comes in manual or automatic BUT they are 808 threaded.
Or the Mini eGo- 350 mah and fires @ 3.7 volts. If wanting an automatic get the SD Keyring. These are both 510 and eGo threaded and don't let looks deceive you...they kick like a Mule.

Mini eGo

SD Keyring
VaporChase Review - SD Keyring from CanVape - YouTube

nova_did_it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Glendale, AZ, USA
+1 for the Halo G6. Just because of how resistant she seems to be with strange looking PV devices. Do the automatic ones so there is no pushing of buttons and you can get them in nice colors. Get blank cartridges to fill with her own juice. If she wants to try tanks down the road there are tanks for the G6s. This way the transition will be easier for her.

Bufufyne

Oct 22, 2013
Fort Wayne
Halo G6 is $44.99 so I am considering picking up one of those this week

I'll pick up some pre-filled carts (Kinda hate that I can't pick and choose but I'll settle on Turkish)

and get a couple blanks and put a few tobacco flavs in it for her to try if she doesn't like the Turkish
(Though I think she won't like the 'filling a carto' process)

at least the nice thing is if she doesn't like it I can keep it or gift it to another smoker

JamesLeighe

Oct 16, 2013
USA
I would not recommend you let her fill the cartomizers herself at least for a little while until she breaks the initial smoking habit. For one, its more work, and she may use that as an excuse to switch back. Secondly, if she were to over / under fill the cartomizers they may not perform optimally once again giving her an excuse to switch back. Finally, if she is not careful she COULD cover herself in nic juice which is something to avoid depending on the amount and how long it sits on the skin.

So, if I were you I would buy enough cartomizers to last a while and visit her once a month or once ever few weeks to refill all her carts again for her. At least for a little while you know?

EDIT: Since you don't yet know if she is going to like it or not, maybe hold off on getting the extra cartomizers until you think she would stick with it more or less. That way you prevent having to spend more than you have to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread