Glass held on by o-rings: Okay or Accident waiting to happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Posted this in general since it applies to so many things... eg. Kabuki clearomizer, Berserker RTA, joyetech Ego... those are just a few of the MANY examples.

I recently watched a video review of the Digiflavor Upen and the reviewer broke both the original and the spare glass trying to slide the glass over the o-rings. He got a pretty nasty cut.

I know that you can apply some e-liquid to the o-rings so that the glass slides on more easily. But wouldn't it be better just to avoid this type of construction altogether? For example, the glass on the kayfun Prime is not held on by o-rings. Instead, the glass is sandwiched between 2 metal pieces and the o-rings just create the seal.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Brewdawg1181

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Be even cooler if they just moved to plastic. Easier to make and lighter. Not as much profit tho I guess.

Then you're back to worrying about tank cracking juices. Besides, plastic can break too and give you a pretty sharp edge. And who said they'd lower the price because it's plastic? They'd likely charge the same.

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
Then you're back to worrying about tank cracking juices. Besides, plastic can break too and give you a pretty sharp edge. And who said they'd lower the price because it's plastic? They'd likely charge the same.

I agree. Glass is strong, cheap and not very reactive. People who manage to break a glass tank by anything other than dropping will most likely break a plastic tank just as easily.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    They had a nice tank maybe 4 or 5 yrs ago that stood up to all juices iirc. Different from the polycarbonate that was popular with carto tanks. The cost effectiveness I was referring to was for the most part, customers generally buy a whole new tank when just the glass breaks - I thought that was the case.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding..

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Posted this in general since it applies to so many things... eg. Kabuki clearomizer, Berserker RTA, Joyetech Ego... those are just a few of the MANY examples.

I recently watched a video review of the Digiflavor Upen and the reviewer broke both the original and the spare glass trying to slide the glass over the o-rings. He got a pretty nasty cut.

I know that you can apply some e-liquid to the o-rings so that the glass slides on more easily. But wouldn't it be better just to avoid this type of construction altogether? For example, the glass on the Kayfun Prime is not held on by o-rings. Instead, the glass is sandwiched between 2 metal pieces and the o-rings just create the seal.

Looking about at my various tanks that’s how basically all of them work. Including the one in the video. No idea why they decided it needs so much bottom o ring. I haven’t messed with a 14mm atty in a long time though. I do remember that back when they were popular they were almost always plastic. There may have been a reason.

Reactions: smoked25years

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2018
    There are a lot of atomizers designed that way but I've managed to avoid them. I have considered buying a couple but I do find that design unappealing.

The glass is sandwiched between 2 metal pieces on both my Kayfun Prime and Vapefly Galaxies RDTA. I have PC and PEI tanks for my Prime and Doggy RTAs (and a Dvarw is in the mail). Haven't had any problems with the plastic tanks but I vape mostly unflavored.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread