GLV Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfdpl686

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
New York
www.flickr.com
Ok, now I'm a proud owner of a 5V GLV. It is an amazing device.

I want to ask/check for comments or suggestions.

I chain-vape, when working in my computer, I could go for hours… sometimes using long drags. This put a lot of stress in the batteries. I feel the GLV “warm” but I cannot assure if it’s because the batteries are getting hot or because the way I hold the device in my hand.

Looking at the GLV, there is no ventilation for the batteries… Is it necessary or “good to have” if the device is abused for chain-vaping?

Would it make sense to drill one or two little holes in the end cap?
Would it help?

What’s your take?

jaybird

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
MI USA
www.greatlakesvapor.com
Ok, now I'm a proud owner of a 5V GLV. It is an amazing device.

I want to ask/check for comments or suggestions.

I chain-vape, when working in my computer, I could go for hours… sometimes using long drags. This put a lot of stress in the batteries. I feel the GLV “warm” but I cannot assure if it’s because the batteries are getting hot or because the way I hold the device in my hand.

Looking at the GLV, there is no ventilation for the batteries… Is it necessary or “good to have” if the device is abused for chain-vaping?

Would it make sense to drill one or two little holes in the end cap?
Would it help?

What’s your take?

there is a vent hole under the atty connection where the wire feeds through. if that should fail the button threads are thin enough to break loose letting the batteries safely vent under the button. I know this because we tested it under air pressure...little over 20psi.

jaybird

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
MI USA
www.greatlakesvapor.com
Thats cool to know Jay. I was actually thinking of drilling a hole in the middle of the bottom cap so the batteries could vent. Mine does get warm also when I chain vape(Which is most of the time). Never gets hot tho like my attys do.

A vent hole in the bottom is a good idea...feel free to do that. The GLV2 will have the vent hole in the end cap now because of the one piece head cap.

OmahaVapor

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Omaha, NE
A vent hole in the bottom is a good idea...feel free to do that. The GLV2 will have the vent hole in the end cap now because of the one piece head cap.

I will have to drill one for sure then cause I have to get one of those new head caps. They look just simply amazing. I think your order will go up even more now IMO. Going to drill it tomorrow. I will post a pic of it once I do it. What size hole is in the GLV2?

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Jay, for a circa December 2009 GLV with the tighter batt tube, would you also suggest drilling a hole somewhere in the body? With certain types of batts inserted (e.g. my gray UltraFire 880 mAhs) no airflow can get around them at all when I blow into the tube as hard as I can (which I'm sure isn't creating nearly as much pressure as venting would, but I heard others mentioning doing that in regard to various mods so... :p). If so, would you suggest maybe two side holes, one around where each batt lays? Some types of batts are just super tight in there, tho lately I've only been buying AWs and they're a much easier fit.

OmahaVapor

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Omaha, NE
Done!
Painless procedure… dremel, 5/64 drill a perfect centered hole and is barely noticeable.
Having the tool on hand, I used some polishing liquid and the soft brush and clean both caps too… no tarnish, no black edges at the solder… it looks nice!

Thats cool!! I was thinking of using about the same size hole for mine. I need to get some polishing compound to shine mine up. Thanks for the info on the drill bit.

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
I mainly use the AW batteries also cause they slide in better. I am currently using 880mah Ultrafire and they were very snug at first but now they slide right in and out. I am going to drill the hole in my end cap right now.

Yeah, the tube on more recent models like yours was made (drilled out IIRC) wider than previously, so batts are tighter in 'older' ones like mine. Not sure air and gases could travel around them in any direction to vent. That's one of the aspects that seems to be considered in mod venting discussions.

OmahaVapor

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Omaha, NE
Yeah, the tube on more recent models like yours was made (drilled out IIRC) wider than previously, so batts are tighter in 'older' ones like mine. Not sure air and gases could travel around them in any direction to vent. That's one of the aspects that seems to be considered in mod venting discussions.
Ohh I see. That would be a good idea but from what Jay says the GLV head cap is designed to "Give" in the event of the tube getting more that 20PSI in it. I wouldn't have to even be a big hole at all but I wouldnt want to drill into the body myself. I just drilled a hole in the end cap tho for the gases to vent. Took about 10 seconds. Used a 1/8" drill bit for it. Took a min to get the negative coil back in but it was a piece of cake. Sorry for the bad pic my iPhone doesnt take good closeup pics.

GLVEndCap.jpg

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ohh I see. That would be a good idea but from what Jay says the GLV head cap is designed to "Give" in the event of the tube getting more that 20PSI in it. I wouldn't have to even be a big hole at all but I wouldnt want to drill into the body myself.

Yeah I hear ya but for some reason I don't think it would bother me all that much visually. There are some mods that even come with holes in the body already, altho those holes have probably been made as finished-looking as possible. Anyway, don't know much about this stuff but in order for the gases to be successfully routed out the atty area hole or button at a certain PSI, I wondered if maybe they'd at least need to have a smidgen of room to travel to those areas in the first place (rather than 'create' a spot to escape right where they are).

Jay, if you also did the PSI testing on previous, narrower-tube model GLVs like mine from 12/09, did you also try it with one of the really tight batt models inserted? Don't know if you've ever used the gray UltraFire 880 mAh I've been referring to, or if those ones actually are bigger than other types ppl have reported are tight in older GLVs. But for the purposes of this question about whether the escape route would still function despite batts tight enough to seemingly block all airflow, let's assume use of batts that are as tight as they could be while still going in at all, and without damage to their wrap/skin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread