GLV3 Mini: a couple of minor tweaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
I just got my GLV3 Mini (off the classifieds) and it had some minor damage in the wiring. After a phone call with Jay, I felt confident enough to tackle it myself, rather than sending it in. And while I had it apart, I just tweaked a couple of things....

The little orange ball is a good idea, but aesthetically I liked having the allen screw flush with the bottom of the head, instead of screwed up inside of it. While I had it apart I measured and found that a spring from a large "click" ball point pen that I had laying around was just the right size around. I cut about 1/3 of the length off, and it was perfect. Now it goes together with orange ball, spring, allen screw. Leaving the allen screw flush at the bottom of the head still pushes the spring hard enough to keep the orange ball at the top - mostly cutting off the air flow through the bottom. Not all, though, and I got a bit of a whistle noise when I inhaled.

So I took the allen screw out again and wrapped it with teflon plumber's tape. Just one wrap was enough. Now the allen screw is pretty much airtight for lung-powered purposes, and it's smooth and quiet when I draw on it. I think I'll play with the top feed mode now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread