Glycerin questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuffinStuff

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2009
Washington State
I know that I read something here on the forum about glycerin, vegetable or food grade vs drug store (pharmaceutical grade). If this is redundant I am sorry but would really like to know. Hoping some seasoned "mixologists" will have more insight.

I have read conflicting posts saying that glycerin other than food grade is not safe to vape and also read that it was ok. It is cheap enough and I have both but really like the awesome vapor from the thicker stuff and would rather use it.

I like using Glycerin USP (pure, pharmaceutical grade) from the drug store and it seems ok, and I feel fine. but ....I dont know about long term. When my oldest daughter was younger the dr. told me to add glycerin (from the drug store) to her vaporizer to make it work better, but that was years ago, maybe things have changed.

I vape pg but do add a few drops of glycerin to my diy juice for better vapor and to thicken it a bit. What I use is anahydrous, (meaning it has no water added and is much more concentrated.)

Couldnt find anything about inhaling it on the web. What I did find was that all usp glycerin is totally pure, and glycerin is a natural product weather produced from animal or veg. Synthetic or petrol produced aka artifical glycerin is actuall "glycerol" and not usp approved.

Could someone please help settle the glycerin debate for me? Does anybody use this type of glycerin? Thanks

Last edited:

illusivethanos

Jun 19, 2009
Glycerin and Glycerol are the exact same thing. The chemical compound that is Glycerin can be produced by animal or vegetable fats or even as a byproduct of petroleum. The final product is always the same chemically (or should be).
I imagine food/pharmaceutical grade means no trace elements present (pure glycerin)
Read this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol

DyZiE

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
Monterey, Ca
the standards set by in U.S.P. (pharm) and F.C.C (food grade) are nearly identical, i personally enjoy the U.S.P. (thicker) glycerine. there are no side effects long or short term to be found with one and without the other. in other words i cant vouche for the long term effects of vaping glycerine (food or pharm) but i can say that if one of em effects you adversly then so does the other.

so .......... U.S.P. = Food Grade.

the diff is completely political i can assure you. if a company wants to label their product "food grade" they have to go throu the F.C.C. and U.S.P. and they have to pay both ways. but if all they want is to sell it as U.S.P. they can save money. which is why U.S.P. (pharm) tends to be cheaper.

theres a bit more to the fine lines but its early and my eyes hurt.

Last edited:

sMuCk_fOg

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Lakewood,California - u$a
the standards set by in U.S.P. (pharm) and F.A.A (food grade) are nearly identical, i personally enjoy the U.S.P. (thicker) glycerine. there are no side effects long or short term to be found with one and without the other. in other words i cant vouche for the long term effects of vaping glycerine (food or pharm) but i can say that if one of em effects you adversly then so does the other.

so .......... U.S.P. = Food Grade.

the diff is completely political i can assure you. if a company wants to label their product "food grade" they have to go throu the F.A.A. and U.S.P. and they have to pay both ways. but if all they want is to sell it as U.S.P. they can save money. which is why U.S.P. (pharm) tends to be cheaper.

theres a bit more to the fine lines but its early and my eyes hurt.
Are they flying somewhere? , Do you mean F.D.A.?

DyZiE

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
Monterey, Ca
Are they flying somewhere? , Do you mean F.D.A.?

i meant F.C.C. and before your you ask an a** question again it means Food Chemical Codex. they decide the standards for all food grade compliances

------edit--------

srry about the a** part its just that dont particularly like being asked if im an idiot "are they flying somewhere?"

Last edited:

PuffinStuff

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2009
Washington State
Hi All and thanks bunches for all of the good advice. I dont know anyone here in my tiny town that vapes so this forum is awesome! There are Lots of nice people that I have something in commom with! I go to this forum everyday and have leaned SO much. Thanks for that too.

I finally talked to my pharmacist. She told me exactly what everyone here has said. Glycerin is Glycern weather from animal or vegetable. It is water soluable from either source, since it can be produced from either. She tells me that "food" grade is cheaper as it is usually thinner so basically thinned with water. To her knowledge the kind that is not usp is usually from bio diesel.

I love this thick stuff for my juice. Thanks again

BTW sattec, bacon cooking...he he got a good laugh from that. Have you tried it? I LOVE bacon.

Last edited:

DyZiE

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
Monterey, Ca
can anyone tell me how many drops of VG to add to my PG juice to make it vape heavier

any amount of Glycerine will add to the vapor production, its just a matter of how much you need to add to notice that difference. i personally usually cut my e-juice with 40% glycerine to add to the vapor. but you could add more/less, its a matter of personal preference, i would start with about 15% and work your way up till you find what your looking for.

also if your using Pharm grade U.S.P. (the thick stuff) your going to want to mix it in something sealed that you can shake around a bit cuz the Glycerine tends to sit at the bottom of the mix (much heavier than most e-juice)

good luck:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread