Glycerine inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

youfillintheblank

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Can anyone clear up my glycerine confusion??:confused: What kind of glycerine would be in the glycerine I buy at the pharmacy? The bottle does not state origin. Is it vegetable? or other? I bought it and after diluting 1/1 with water I then drip 2 drops of e-liquid, and 1 drop diluted glycerine. Makes MUCH better vapour, but it seems vegetable glycerine is the choice of the seasoned e-smoker. Am I damaging anything, including myself by using this type of glycerine?

Bertrand

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2008
Can anyone clear up my glycerine confusion??:confused: What kind of glycerine would be in the glycerine I buy at the pharmacy? The bottle does not state origin. Is it vegetable? or other? I bought it and after diluting 1/1 with water I then drip 2 drops of e-liquid, and 1 drop diluted glycerine. Makes MUCH better vapour, but it seems vegetable glycerine is the choice of the seasoned e-smoker. Am I damaging anything, including myself by using this type of glycerine?

Ring the manufacturer and ask them if it's food safe. The problem isn't with the glycerine itself but with its impurities.

Bertrand

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2008
If it says USP or BP it's pharmaceutical grade and is the purest you can get. Food grade is usually USP or BP too. If it's for cosmetics or soap or something then it might have impurities and personally I wouldn't risk it.

Does it say anything on the bottle to give a clue?

It's not so much the purity as what the impurities are. For example, through distilling you can only get alcohol to about 95% pure (70% pure in home setups.) If you want purer, you need to use something like the benzene purification process. Sure, it's purer, but now the impurities are benzene and its derivatives. (Didn't seem to stop hospital workers back when this stuff was readily available though. :) )

You definitely need to ask whether it is food safe from the manufacturer if they have not stated it on the bottle.

youfillintheblank

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Ontario, Canada
It says USP so i'm sure it's safe. I was using it all day yesterday and I'm still kicking, but there's no number to contact. Have to do some digging. I'm not sure I like it all that much, it really kills the flavour of my liquid. Not much of an issue, I'm in it for the nicotine satisfaction!:D

If it says USP or BP it's pharmaceutical grade and is the purest you can get. Food grade is usually USP or BP too. If it's for cosmetics or soap or something then it might have impurities and personally I wouldn't risk it.

Does it say anything on the bottle to give a clue?

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
keep us posted about that kate, i'm using the same stuff..as are a few others i believe

The seller finally answered my emails. I asked if their vegetable glycerine was food grade and suitable for ingesting and they replied:

"... this is bp grade which is an even better grade than food grade."

Take that how you will.

frazzledglispa

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2008
Denver, CO
If it does not specifically state that it is vegetable glycerin I generally assume that it is made from animal fat. I don't know that there is really a difference in result or effect based on whether the glycerin is animal or vegetable based - but if it is something that matters do you (it matters to me) it is something to be aware of. I've never used any of the glycerin that I have for vaping, but I use it for tons of things (fixative in perfumes, mixed with rosewater as a facial toner, etc...)

I generally pick mine up at Vitamin Cottage or Whole Foods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread