Going from 70Vg to 90VG - what to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
Nic will be at 12 mg.

Will this give me smoother tasting liquid....greater volume of vapour?

And will it work in an assortment of mil tanks like origen 19/22, doggystyle, kayfun 3, etc

I do not use much PG but I have found that over 80% VG is too thick for my liking not that it didn't vape or wick well was just too thick to dispense in my opinion. I have made close to 95% VG with some of my DIY mixes.
Steve is correct Cumulo, i use 50/50 in MTL applications but you could go up to 80/20 but after that i would think you would run into wicking problems depending upon your setup .......it could possibly give you a smoother vape and yes, more vapor but if it cant properly get to your coil you are going to burn cotton

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I started out with max VG (no distilled water) as I'm PG sensitive. I never ran into wicking problems, even in some of the punier MTL tanks (1.8 resistance coil, for example). I did develop a habit of inhaling a couple seconds AFTER the fire button press ended, seemed to keep my wick juiced up.

Due to temps in my tanks, I did follow the recommendation of 10% distilled water. It vastly improved my vape (even flavor, which I was surprised about) and definitely vape temperature.

So wicking? IDK. I never had a problem. Gunking? That was a different story. I didn't get better coil life until I started using distilled water. I guess you'll just have to experiment to see, but I didn't tend to have dry hits even at close to 100% VG (minus flavors) and it was manageable. I guess I just made it work.

I'd expect you'd get a smoother vape with more vape production. Even with 10% DW I'm cloudier than I'd care to be for indoors (at things like an all powerful 7 watts) and my husband uses more PG and has much less vapor production. Only I tried his vape, and it was like inhaling a bale full of needles, so....

I'd say you'll be okay, but yes you can always add a few drops of distilled water to your tank if things get too goopy.

Anna

Last edited:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Nic will be at 12 mg.

Will this give me smoother tasting liquid....greater volume of vapour?

And will it work in an assortment of mil tanks like origen 19/22, doggystyle, kayfun 3, etc

Smoother (less harsh) yes, more cloudz yes. Your juice will taste noticeably sweeter but since VG doesn't carry flavor as good as PG, flavor will be slightly muted so mix accordingly. Retail max VG juice already has extra flavorings added so no worries there. In cold weather wicking could be a problem for max VG juice used in RTAs and RDTAs but with lower watt "tootlepuffing" (inhaling MTL) the wick should be able to keep up. :)

MrsWood

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2018
I started out with max VG (no distilled water) as I'm PG sensitive. I never ran into wicking problems, even in some of the punier MTL tanks (1.8 resistance coil, for example). I did develop a habit of inhaling a couple seconds AFTER the fire button press ended, seemed to keep my wick juiced up.

Due to temps in my tanks, I did follow the recommendation of 10% distilled water. It vastly improved my vape (even flavor, which I was surprised about) and definitely vape temperature.

So wicking? IDK. I never had a problem. Gunking? That was a different story. I didn't get better coil life until I started using distilled water. I guess you'll just have to experiment to see, but I didn't tend to have dry hits even at close to 100% VG (minus flavors) and it was manageable. I guess I just made it work.

I'd expect you'd get a smoother vape with more vape production. Even with 10% DW I'm cloudier than I'd care to be for indoors (at things like an all powerful 7 watts) and my husband uses more PG and has much less vapor production. Only I tried his vape, and it was like inhaling a bale full of needles, so....

I'd say you'll be okay, but yes you can always add a few drops of distilled water to your tank if things get too goopy.

Anna

Anna,
If I wanted to vape high vg close to 100 in a 15 ml bottle how much distilled water would I add to thin it out? (I'm sorry math is not my strong suit). I am using a kangertech subtank mini with a .5

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Honestly with that size bottle and "as close to 100" all I can suggest is starting to add two drops of DW to say a 2 ml tank.... That would start to give you a sense of what is going to work for you. If it feels not thin enough, add a drop more, and etc. Try to kind of shake/swirl your tank to get it mixed. Once you figure it out enter 2 ml into a juice calculator and see how many drops total it is, to give you your percentage (ish, as each drop is probably slightly different in volume depending on viscosity.).

That's probably what I would do. It should give you an "approx." percentage that you like. Sometimes it's easier to add the DW directly to the tank when using small amounts, you will quickly get a feel for "how much" per tank, and can then start mixing accordingly.

The downside to adding DW to a mix is that as you vape, you may find some evaporation happening, and you also can't steep with the top off. I have found with some of my older mixes I sometimes have to "top off" with a bit more DW.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You could, and it might actually make the VG a bit less thick, if you really really shake it like crazy, although that might cause bubbles which may make measuring harder.

Why not try it a couple different ways at first, and see what you wind up thinking is easier? I find it easier to just add the water to my mix, and if I see viscosity decrease, add more. With that said, I'm pretty sure that I like that 10% DW, and I've recently acquired some PEG400, which is a PG alternative for the sensitive, so I am going to have to start over with a whole new process.... I wanted to test it out a bit first without mixing into all my mixes, then develop a sensitivity.

You may find that 10% DW is too high *for you* is the only thing. It's really the max required to bring temps down to a safer level overall than max VG, but water has some of its own challenges... Too much, and the vape just gets gross, and if it all winds up on your coil at once, well, that is a pain as well.... I'd start small, and try a few things, and see what you wind up liking as your process, honestly. I don't think there is one "right" way to do it, really.. :)

Anna

Reactions: MrsWood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread