The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Going from 70Vg to 90VG - what to expect?

Discussion in 'General E-Liquid Discussion' started by Cumulo Vapus, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Cumulo Vapus

Cumulo Vapus Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 23, 2016
    Nic will be at 12 mg.

Will this give me smoother tasting liquid....greater volume of vapour?

And will it work in an assortment of mil tanks like origen 19/22, doggystyle, kayfun 3, etc

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteveS45

SteveS45 Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 27, 2016
    Long Island, New York
    I do not use much PG but I have found that over 80% VG is too thick for my liking not that it didn't vape or wick well was just too thick to dispense in my opinion. I have made close to 95% VG with some of my DIY mixes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. BackDoc

BackDoc Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Galts Gulch
    Steve is correct Cumulo, i use 50/50 in MTL applications but you could go up to 80/20 but after that i would think you would run into wicking problems depending upon your setup .......it could possibly give you a smoother vape and yes, more vapor but if it cant properly get to your coil you are going to burn cotton

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. smacuser

smacuser Boba TK Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    Some will use a few drops of distilled water to thin it a little.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I started out with max VG (no distilled water) as I'm PG sensitive. I never ran into wicking problems, even in some of the punier MTL tanks (1.8 resistance coil, for example). I did develop a habit of inhaling a couple seconds AFTER the fire button press ended, seemed to keep my wick juiced up.

Due to temps in my tanks, I did follow the recommendation of 10% distilled water. It vastly improved my vape (even flavor, which I was surprised about) and definitely vape temperature.

So wicking? IDK. I never had a problem. Gunking? That was a different story. I didn't get better coil life until I started using distilled water. I guess you'll just have to experiment to see, but I didn't tend to have dry hits even at close to 100% VG (minus flavors) and it was manageable. I guess I just made it work.

I'd expect you'd get a smoother vape with more vape production. Even with 10% DW I'm cloudier than I'd care to be for indoors (at things like an all powerful 7 watts) and my husband uses more PG and has much less vapor production. Only I tried his vape, and it was like inhaling a bale full of needles, so....

I'd say you'll be okay, but yes you can always add a few drops of distilled water to your tank if things get too goopy.

Anna

• Like Like x 6
  6. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Yep. That sounds about right.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jcoopercam

jcoopercam Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 29, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I find that a higher PG = increased flavor. I posted a query thread as to the aging (oxidizing) process of e-liquids. I forgot to mention that max PG ages better than a max VG, and again, it tastes better. I like to use no-nic VG to sweeten my coffee. :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Str8vision

Str8vision Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    Smoother (less harsh) yes, more cloudz yes. Your juice will taste noticeably sweeter but since VG doesn't carry flavor as good as PG, flavor will be slightly muted so mix accordingly. Retail max VG juice already has extra flavorings added so no worries there. In cold weather wicking could be a problem for max VG juice used in RTAs and RDTAs but with lower watt "tootlepuffing" (inhaling MTL) the wick should be able to keep up. :)

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Cumulo Vapus

Cumulo Vapus Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 23, 2016
    Nice...Im a tootle puffer...thanks for some great input.

The water drops...add to filled up tank or to juice bottle beforehand?

• Like Like x 2
  10. stols001

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Either. I started out with drops in my tank but now I DIY with it. I just have to be careful about evaporation over time, but if things get too thick, I just add more... I usually steep with tops on too, if I am using DW.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  11. MrsWood

MrsWood Senior Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Anna,
    If I wanted to vape high vg close to 100 in a 15 ml bottle how much distilled water would I add to thin it out? (I'm sorry math is not my strong suit). I am using a kangertech subtank mini with a .5

• Like Like x 1
  12. stols001

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Honestly with that size bottle and "as close to 100" all I can suggest is starting to add two drops of DW to say a 2 ml tank.... That would start to give you a sense of what is going to work for you. If it feels not thin enough, add a drop more, and etc. Try to kind of shake/swirl your tank to get it mixed. Once you figure it out enter 2 ml into a juice calculator and see how many drops total it is, to give you your percentage (ish, as each drop is probably slightly different in volume depending on viscosity.).

That's probably what I would do. It should give you an "approx." percentage that you like. Sometimes it's easier to add the DW directly to the tank when using small amounts, you will quickly get a feel for "how much" per tank, and can then start mixing accordingly.

The downside to adding DW to a mix is that as you vape, you may find some evaporation happening, and you also can't steep with the top off. I have found with some of my older mixes I sometimes have to "top off" with a bit more DW.

Anna

13. MrsWood

MrsWood Senior Member

Jan 30, 2018
    @stols001 Thanks Anna. I am going to pick up a bottle of VG today with some distilled water. I knew it needed to be thinned out but wasn't sure ofnthe best way to go about it or if I could just add distilled water to the VG directly then separate out into 10ml unicorn bottles to be flavored.

• Like Like x 1
  14. stols001

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    You could, and it might actually make the VG a bit less thick, if you really really shake it like crazy, although that might cause bubbles which may make measuring harder.

Why not try it a couple different ways at first, and see what you wind up thinking is easier? I find it easier to just add the water to my mix, and if I see viscosity decrease, add more. With that said, I'm pretty sure that I like that 10% DW, and I've recently acquired some PEG400, which is a PG alternative for the sensitive, so I am going to have to start over with a whole new process.... I wanted to test it out a bit first without mixing into all my mixes, then develop a sensitivity.

You may find that 10% DW is too high *for you* is the only thing. It's really the max required to bring temps down to a safer level overall than max VG, but water has some of its own challenges... Too much, and the vape just gets gross, and if it all winds up on your coil at once, well, that is a pain as well.... I'd start small, and try a few things, and see what you wind up liking as your process, honestly. I don't think there is one "right" way to do it, really.. :)

Anna

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.