Wood Going to make my own atty stand from wood... Tap or drill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dissonance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Dayton, OH, USA
Nothing fancy, probably just a 1 tier stand out of a single piece of scrap wood :p Just want something to keep my attys from rolling around on my desk lol. I want to be able to thread the attys in so it's pretty secure, but I'm not sure how the threads would hold up in this scenario (metal v.s. wood sounds like it'd strip real easy)... Think it's worth the time to tap it or just drill out holes big enough for the atty to sit in? Or how hard would it be to just buy like a 6" wide x 2" deep x 1/2" tall piece of aluminum and tap it? I've never done anything like this (or used a tap before lol) so any advice/feedback would be appreciated :)

Dissonance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Dayton, OH, USA
Here is one I found real quick

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/98/2b/52/982b5216b40b04c536bd47d0a093df3f.jpg

Not mine.

I made mine out of wood and used a spade bit to drill the holes and drill for the center hole

Yeah I'm not handy at all (Well... Not yet... I'm a quick learner :p ) so that's probably a little to advanced for me + I don't have the tools to drill out the big holes. Any clue where they got the 510 threaded metal inserts from? I think I can manage to drill out a hole then superglue some metal parts down :p

Big Dewey

Sep 1, 2014
Georgetown, ky
Here is mine, not hard at all, not complete just started
20140908_213204538_iOS.jpg
20140908_213211549_iOS.jpg
20140908_213256466_iOS.jpg
Just a drill and a spade bit got kit from walmart for $11 ,and regular drill bit.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...a=X&ei=XS0OVO7fD6GH8QH8uIHoDw&ved=0CHEQ8gIwAA

Done easy also made one for my juice bottles also.

Last edited:

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
I completely agree. Smooth holes let you just pick up your device, not getting two handed with it and being careful not to unscrew the device itself leaving the base still attached to the stand. By the same rational, I prefer my mods to work this way too, no more 510's for me. :)

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa
I completely agree. Smooth holes let you just pick up your device, not getting two handed with it and being careful not to unscrew the device itself leaving the base still attached to the stand. By the same rational, I prefer my mods to work this way too, no more 510's for me. :)

redwood 2by4 piece and forstner bits t drill holes . bevel eedges and varnish works nice and looks good to .
asdac ! you owe us an explanation for your 510 replacement !! just cidding ..but it would be nice with pictures .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread