Good 0.7~ coil for Orchid RTA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsc8888

Feb 29, 2016
Hey everyone I'm new here on ECF and I just ordered my first real vape setup(I have tried ce4s and other starter kits before). I just ordered an IStick 30W, an Orchid V6(Orchid V4 with a glass tank), 20m of 26 AWG Kanthal A1, 20m of 32 AWG Nichrome, Japanese cotton and juice. I ordered it all from fasttech so there may be clones, but I don't really care. I was wondering what I could build for a good coil that comes to 0.7ish ohms. Steam engine says I should do 5 wraps of 26 on a 3mm bit, or 4 wraps of 26/32 clapton on a 3mm bit. Do these sound like good builds? Please leave some good builds! Cheers

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I would get down to a local vape shop and get a small roll of 28. The Orchid is a dual coil build, and dual 26 is gonna be way low. A dual 28, 2.5 mm, 8 wrap should get you into the .7 range you're looking for. If there are no local vape shops, there are plenty of folks on eBay selling wire. I happen to prefer wither Temco or Lightning Vapes, but I have wire from everywhere...

Reactions: roxynoodle

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If you look at coil winding from a perspective that more contact with the wick equals more juice vaporization, then the next calculation is centered around what it takes to wrap a coil with 7 or 8 turns or more to equal .7 ohms. The more turns, the higher the final resistance, so you have to increase wire size to raise resistance when you increase the number of turns.

Input the desired resistance into Steam Engine and then play with wire gauge, wire type, and turn count for a dual 2.5mm coil size to see how it all comes together. With 26ga Kanthal you will need 11 wraps at 2.5mm. 28ga Kanthal allows you 7 wraps at .7 ohms. It you use Stainless Steel 316L (surgical) you can use 30ga with 10 wraps. 28ga with Nichrome 40 is 10 wraps.

If you use stainless, it's also a good wire for temperature control vaping. At any rate, you will have to decide how many turns fits the Orchid coil space.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread