Status
Not open for further replies.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
I rebuilt this thing two more times,one with a dual coil both horrizontal Clapton's. The flavor just was not as pronounced. I went back to one horizontal and one vertical build (Clapton's of course) and the flavor is back.

There is only one down side to this build. The top of the vertical wick gets burnt and gunked up fast and flavor trails off after almost two squonk bottles of juice.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I rebuilt this thing two more times,one with a dual coil both horrizontal Clapton's. The flavor just was not as pronounced. I went back to one horizontal and one vertical build (Clapton's of course) and the flavor is back.

There is only one down side to this build. The top of the vertical wick gets burnt and gunked up fast and flavor trails off after almost two squonk bottles of juice.
I would suggest running both horizontal coils and lifting them up so the airflow hits the bottom of the coils at 5 o'clock. You want it so the airflow gets all around the coil. Also wick it so the wicks come down to just touch the deck. Don't over stuff it so it blocks off the airflow. If you use vertical coils use 1 long piece of cotton to wick both coils. Go over the top of the center so the top of the coils get a good supply of the juice. I like vertical coils personally. My favorite RDA is the Lucid. If you don't wick vertical coils right they're horrible.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
I would suggest running both horizontal coils and lifting them up so the airflow hits the bottom of the coils at 5 o'clock. You want it so the airflow gets all around the coil. Also wick it so the wicks come down to just touch the deck. Don't over stuff it so it blocks off the airflow. If you use vertical coils use 1 long piece of cotton to wick both coils. Go over the top of the center so the top of the coils get a good supply of the juice. I like vertical coils personally. My favorite RDA is the Lucid. If you don't wick vertical coils right they're horrible.
That is how I had the two horizontals positioned but the flavor was way off from the build I started with. The one horizonal and one vertical is vaping like a dream,just have to re-wick often because the vertical gets gunked up on top.
My next build I will try another dual horizontal build w/o Clapton's and go a little lower on the build see if that works as good as the build I have now ?

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I understand. I even kind of agree about the o rings. They are too large for some reason. The airflow does not adjust wildly well so if the airflow isn’t to your liking there’s no good way to fix it. What I really like about the pulse is the juice suck back feature and the impressive flavor level. I can totally see your point of view though.
Once you lube those o rings up they work quite well imo. Don't try it dry ;)

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
That is how I had the two horizontals positioned but the flavor was way off from the build I started with. The one horizonal and one vertical is vaping like a dream,just have to re-wick often because the vertical gets gunked up on top.
My next build I will try another dual horizontal build w/o Clapton's and go a little lower on the build see if that works as good as the build I have now ?
I forgot to say bring the coils out to the edge as much as you can without hitting the top cap. In other words get the coils as close to the airflow as possible.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
I forgot to say bring the coils out to the edge as much as you can without hitting the top cap. In other words get the coils as close to the airflow as possible.
Yes I know how to build this RDA and they were and are close in to the post.
Whether you believe it or no,the horizontal and vertical build works very well on this RDA.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Yes I know how to build this RDA and they were and are close in to the post.
Whether you believe it or no,the horizontal and vertical build works very well on this RDA.
You should have the coils away from the posts and close to the airflow. Anyway, it's your vape do what works best for you. Good luck to you my friend.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
no liquid left on the deck should be a feature of all squonk atties IMHO and nothing new or innovative....the squonk hole should be no higher than the bottom of the deck....if I wanted a well full of liquid I'd drip...the pulse does't even get that right because the squonk hole is higher than the bottom of the well.....all squonkers will suck back the liquid if the liquid is higher than the squonk hole(s)

Curious to know the reasons why you feel no liquid should be left in the deck? There are decks that squonk into deeper wells, decks with protruding pins and there are decks such as the Pulse X that has retreat holes (for lack of better terminology) above the deck. All allow left over juice to be absorbed by your wick. Won’t say the above examples are better or worse than a pin that is flush with the deck – just a different way to achieve the same goal, and that is to saturate your wick.

@t8kiteasy – interesting approach with the vertical/horizontal build. Thx for sharing.

Rex Everything

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2014
Tacoma
Curious to know the reasons why you feel no liquid should be left in the deck? There are decks that squonk into deeper wells, decks with protruding pins and there are decks such as the Pulse X that has retreat holes (for lack of better terminology) above the deck. All allow left over juice to be absorbed by your wick. Won’t say the above examples are better or worse than a pin that is flush with the deck – just a different way to achieve the same goal, and that is to saturate your wick.

@t8kiteasy – interesting approach with the vertical/horizontal build. Thx for sharing.
if I wanted a coil to cook my juice I'd buy an RTA and this cooked juice can potentially end up back in my bottle on the next squonk, no loose juice= no leaks (granted this is left over from 2014 before there were Squonk specific atties with angled air flow) I was also never big on dripping through the drip tip ....juice coming into an atty above the air flow just has never seemed like a good idea

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
if I wanted a coil to cook my juice I'd buy an RTA and this cooked juice can potentially end up back in my bottle on the next squonk, no loose juice= no leaks (granted this is left over from 2014 before there were Squonk specific atties with angled air flow) I was also never big on dripping through the drip tip ....juice coming into an atty above the air flow just has never seemed like a good idea

Sorry, not understanding what you mean by cooking juice and cooked juice ending up back in your bottle. What is left over gets absorbed by your wick.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
:confused: Who puts a squonk pin in an rta?! That’s completely at cross purpose to the concept. Would make for a biiig juice resovoir(sp?) though

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Sorry, not understanding what you mean by cooking juice and cooked juice ending up back in your bottle. What is left over gets absorbed by your wick.
I’ve had cooked juice back in my bottle, just not with an rta. If you’re using a silicone bottle you can squonk it then let the suction of the bottle slurp up excess juice. It’s sort of convienient, but it does make for some dark juice in your bottle if your wick is dirty.

Rex Everything

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2014
Tacoma
If all the juice is absorbed into your wick then you wouldn't need a well at all with a flush mounted squonk pin wicks are wet vape then squonk again. any excess juice sitting in a well that doesn't get absorbed will be heated up over and over again until finally wicked....if you squonk before deck is dry then the new juice is now mixed with the possibly reheated juice .....sure this is probably me being ocd but hey It's my thing

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
But why squonk again if the RDA can leave a little excess juice?

Juice gets cooked regardless of what is left in deck. We can see this by dark(er) spots on your wick that is not in contact with your coil. Squonk again, and new fresh juice will be in contact with this older cooked juice and potentially end up back in your bottle. This is not dependent on whether the pin or retreat hole is above your deck or not. We do not let our wicks become bone dry before squonking so there is always going to be a mixture of new and old juice.

One can over squonk and over saturate your wick – excessive juice will not be absorbed by your wick, therefore remain pooled on your deck. And again, this is not dependent on whether the pin or retreat hole is above your deck or not.

Squonking requires a bit of knowledge on how your wicking performs. If your RDA leaves a small amount of juice, then you may not need to squonk twice – your wick will absorb it.

Last edited:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I think alot of it has to do with the design of the RDA. If the coils are high like the Drop it's not going to cook the left over juice like it would in like the TM24 PRO where the coils sit lower. I can see both sides of the discussion. I know if you carry an RDA in your pocket that has excessive juice in the well doing what I do you end up with juice in your pocket.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Just bought the pulse X mod and RDA and i'm impressed running dual twisted clapton's @0.29 Ohms flavour is fantastic. It's a good design and although you can make any RDA leak if you try hard enough this one is better than most with the squonk hole at the bottom of the deck.

Reactions: t8kiteasy

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
Just bought the pulse X mod and RDA and i'm impressed running dual twisted clapton's @0.29 Ohms flavour is fantastic. It's a good design and although you can make any RDA leak if you try hard enough this one is better than most with the squonk hole at the bottom of the deck.
My X has replaced one of my Dead Rabbits at the moment. Gun Metal Pulse X RSA on a black RSQ,looks sexy and Vapes even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread