malyden

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
OH
I found these on the other forum some good info and news:

Electronic Cigarette Company Urges Parents To Stop Smoking - Vapers Forum
Scientific studies about vaping - Vapers Forum
A compilation of studies and research related to vaping.

SuperSmoker eliquid toxicology report - http://www.supersmokerjp.com/images/...anslatiion.pdf

The Electronic Cigarette Co eliquid toxicology report - http://www.tobaccoharmreduction.org/tox1.pdf

Gamucci eliquid toxicology report - http://www.ecigaretteschoice.com/GamucciLabStudy.pdf

EcoPure report - http://www.intellicig.com/images/pdf...2009-04-14.pdf

Spikey's collection of research about propylene glycol - Propylene Glycol Research Study Results

Spikey's collection on Studies showing simple rebuttal to FDA report - Studies suggesting PV safety

Ruyan, NRT effectiveness - http://www.healthnz.co.nz/ecig_effect-2.pdf

Ruyan, eliquid analysis - http://www.healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartr...t30-Oct-08.pdf

Ruyan, summary of research - http://www.healthnz.co.nz/DublinBenchtopHandout.pdf

E-cig study for metals - http://acceptablechoice.si/GeneralView.htm

toxicology report on PVLiquid from e-cigs.co.uk - http://www.e-cigs.co.uk/docs/E249A.pdf

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Is e-cigarettedirect.com owned by ECA or was permission requested from the ECA to cite them in their advertisement?

I submit the pairing of this statement:

"According to Matt Salmon, president of the Electronic Cigarette Association, available data indicates that "electronic cigarettes reduce the risk of illness and death to under 1% of the risk posed by tobacco cigarettes".

...With a full page advertisement to purchase product cheapens the stance of the members of ECA and any objectivity they may aspire to. Mr Salmon appears to be giving the seal of approval...is he? Please advise...Thanks in advance!:):confused:

Electronic Cigarette Company Urges Parents To Stop Smoking

Please note the reference for 1% risk was a quote from the ECA site(not the president of ECA) and the author was:
Joel Niztkin, MD, MPH, DPA, FACPM,
Chair, Tobacco Control Task Force, American
Association of Public Health Physicians

Last edited:

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
So, by cozying up to ASH by promoting denormalization of smokers via guilt propaganda, E cigarette direct hopes to get acceptance from the anti-smokers????? That's a laugh. It is, however, enough that I would NEVER buy one product from this company or any other that resorts to this tactic. Shameful and disgusting.

malyden

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
OH
Actually others have done the research and found these sites, I'm just posting them over here for others to see. True most people would not see them unless they were looking for specifically for articles pertaining to ecigs. If there is an article or important information related to our interests it is up to us to pass it on and make sure others have the option to become informed.
Knowledge is Power.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Is e-cigarettedirect.com owned by ECA or was permission requested from the ECA to cite them in their advertisement?

I submit the pairing of this statement:

"According to Matt Salmon, president of the Electronic Cigarette Association, available data indicates that "electronic cigarettes reduce the risk of illness and death to under 1% of the risk posed by tobacco cigarettes".

...With a full page advertisement to purchase product cheapens the stance of the members of ECA and any objectivity they may aspire to. Mr Salmon appears to be giving the seal of approval...is he? Please advise...Thanks in advance!:):confused:

Electronic Cigarette Company Urges Parents To Stop Smoking

Please note the reference for 1% risk was a quote from the ECA site(not the president of ECA) and the author was:
Joel Niztkin, MD, MPH, DPA, FACPM,
Chair, Tobacco Control Task Force, American
Association of Public Health Physicians

I am looking into whether e-cigarettedirect was given permission by Matt to use his name in a press release. They are not members of the ECA and you are right, this quote was from Dr. Nitzkin and has been misquoted in several articles as being Matt.

Either way, I am looking into this because it concerns me too that, while the e-cigarettedirect is doing what they can to fight the war against the ecig, I do not necessarily agree with some of the tactics AND definitely do not agree with attacking ASH (no matter how warranted and deserved) under the guise that they are part of the ECA.

Edit: And while the ECA does agree that those who wish to quit should do so, the ECA advocates that smokers who do not wish to quit have an alternative. IMHO, this PR crosses over the line and makes quit smoking claims in regards to the ecig, which is a problem.

Edit2: Just confirmed: This was a misquote. Matt was quoting Nitzkin in another article and noted such to the journalist. He is contacting this person to let him know that he was in fact misquoted and this is not his quote as Matt is not the medical expert. e-cigarettesdirect simply pulled this quote from an article that misquoted him.

Last edited:

eric

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
This one, Electronic Cigarette Company Urges Parents To Stop Smoking - Vapers Forum was extremely offensive to me. Sounds exactly like ASH. Is that where the vaping community is headed?

I can't possibly comprehend how this story would be offensive.

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Actually others have done the research and found these sites, I'm just posting them over here for others to see. True most people would not see them unless they were looking for specifically for articles pertaining to ecigs. If there is an article or important information related to our interests it is up to us to pass it on and make sure others have the option to become informed.
Knowledge is Power.

I thank you again for your hard work, it helped remedy a potential problem in just a few hours. See the group of us can do positive things and provides checks and balances on the information we offer. :D:thumbs:

ASH has very efficient webcrawlers that will pull anything from the web based on keywords. In response to the edirectcig ad www.ash.org posted a particularly nasty older article it retrieved from the archives on it's site that is titled:

Fake cigarettes 'are potentially lethal to children'

www.tobacco.org has the same keyword searches and also provides sources we could use to rebutt the article. ;)

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Then, you will not find it offensive when ASH tells you that you MUST quit vaping "for the children" AND they WILL do that.
OH wait, they already did, In response to the edirectcig ad Introduction to Action on Smoking and Health, ASH posted a particularly nasty older article it retrieved from the archives on it's site that is titled:

Fake cigarettes 'are potentially lethal to children'

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Would you promote the corollary to that piece:

Smoke near your children. There's no need to take your tobacco smoking addiction outside. Just go ahead and light up, kids or no kids. No big deal. Exhale your smoke into the interior air. No problem.

Now, does that make sense to anyone at this point in time, or are some frozen in the 50s when lighting up anywhere was de riguor? Smoking is no longer "any place, any time." And it shouldn't be. We grew up.

eric

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Then, you will not find it offensive when ASH tells you that you MUST quit vaping "for the children" AND they WILL do that.

I totally understand your point, I'm only stating that secondhand smoke has been proven a valid health risk. The problem with the statement by ASH is that there is no proof that secondhand vapor is a valid health risk. I vape because it is less of a crutch than analogs were. It smells better, tastes better and is the first (worthwhile) of likely many-to-come smoking alternatives that still incorporate hand to mouth fixation. If they included vaping in the smoking ban I would not have much of an issue with it so long as I still maintained my right to vape (well, no issue other than that such an act would be utterly illogical and rationally unexplainable; but this is the nanny state USA government we're talking about, what do you expect?).

Regardless, the whole "do as I say, not as I do" argument is one of the most ignorant arguments ever. If one smokes in front of their children, the chances of their children taking up smoking later in life are exponentially higher. Note that I say "ignorant" as a means to declare that many people are not aware of these statistics, and if otherwise did, probably wouldn't have ever smoked in front of their children. Unless of course they believe Dennis Prager's argument that secondhand smoke doesn't exist (which is ludicrous).

I'm not striking at you personally by any means, I'm just saying scientific fact is what it is. Just as in the FDA lab test, scientific fact was what it was and we've all taken a look at it and view it as proof that electronic cigarettes do contain fewer carcinogens, but how the FDA misrepresented this industry in their press release was contrived and loaded.

Edit: Grammar check.

Last edited:

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
I can't possibly comprehend how this story would be offensive.

Well...let me try to explain. Firstly, it contained a mis-quote which enemies could have used to evidence of lacking credibility and truthfulness from the author, and then by extension to the products at large. Secondly, the use of terminology could be perceived as mocking/modeling other sites that profess to be based on "acceptable" health programs...which it was. Lastly, and this pertains to the 1st but is a seperate issue, the ECA could be attributed with and marginalized by marketing strategy such as this full page ad. The ECA may offer a seal of approval for the concept and science of the e-cig but should not be associated with a brand per se. If one brand goes down...the ECA does not go down with it. ;)

Last edited:

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
I don't think the question is of 2nd hand smoke or the appropriateness of smoking in front of children....the problem remains in the marketing strategy of pairing "healthy" advice with the sales of a certain brand. Advocacy is one thing....selling a product is another. The dual purposes and inter-twining of messages is undesirable in the current clime of the e-cig being in the hotseat. It is exactly what the tobacco companies were accused of, and ultimately, paid dearly for.

The author added their name and contact info...if anyone wants to alledge harm from the product could result in litigation as per advice given.

These are all my opinions and we are free to disagree because we are all good people here who want the best for our favorite vice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread