Good News, for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

analog

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2011
Was it something I said?
I'm scared of taxes. I hate sin taxes more than diet cherry coke. They often use the sin tax to prevent DIY as well, think liquor, and for many years beer and wine making too. I guess if they treat it completely like a tobacco product, diy would still be allowed, but reading between the lines the FDA is simply following the courts reasoning, they haven't stated their method. Their initial reasoning of drug delivery device was over-ruled but the judge said they would be able to regulate it as a tobacco product. Note the difference between:
1. regulate as a tobacco product
2. regulate LIKE a tobacco product

I'm afraid all this does is give the FDA jurisdiction, what they will do with that jurisdiction is uncertain, and suspect....
There is too fine a line between needed quality control, and authoritarian regulation....

slim66

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2010
USA
That was a good article Slim, they actually sounded unbiased and informed (for a change).

Yeah, I especially appreciated these statement in the article (I added the bolding):

"The FDA also had said that its tests found the liquid in some electronic cigarettes contained toxic substances -- besides nicotine, which is itself toxic in large doses -- as well as carcinogens that occur naturally in tobacco. Most e-cigarettes are imported from overseas.

However, some public health experts say the level of those carcinogens was comparable to those found in nicotine replacement therapy, because the nicotine in all of the products is extracted from tobacco."

and

"Users and distributors say e-cigarettes address both the nicotine addiction and the behavioral aspects of smoking -- the holding of the cigarette, the puffing, seeing the smoke come out and the hand motion -- without the more than 4,000 chemicals found in cigarettes.

Valdrak

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Banning of an item from what I heard is like some music creators would make some music with an extreme degree of explicitness, and henceforth was banned. This music cannot be bought at any law-abiding store or cannot be displayed in public, radio/tv etc.

The music itself is not illegal, but cannot be put on display in public. People who owned the Music prior to it's banning are able to keep it.

Something similar I believe would happen to e-cig flavors.

I'm sure you could make your own, and just keep it to yourself. If you try to sell it, then it is illegal.

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
In this case, the current tobacco control laws ban flavored cigarettes, other than tobacco and menthol. Meaning they are illegal to sell.

But if we were to buy the bland but legal juice first, then couldn't flavorings be sold separately legally and added to it at home? Like you could sell the blah juice, and from accessories sell non-tobacco mint or 555 flavorings? I am just buying that to flavor a cake mix, not the juice (wink wink nudge nudge).

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
But if we were to buy the bland but legal juice first, then couldn't flavorings be sold separately legally and added to it at home? Like you could sell the blah juice, and from accessories sell non-tobacco mint or 555 flavorings? I am just buying that to flavor a cake mix, not the juice (wink wink nudge nudge).

Soemthing like that, and I don't think you'd even need a nudge or wink. But I don't know.

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
"Users and distributors say e-cigarettes address both the nicotine addiction and the behavioral aspects of smoking -- the holding of the cigarette, the puffing, seeing the smoke come out and the hand motion -- without the more than 4,000 chemicals found in cigarettes.

That was one of the parts I liked seeing too... like someone finally understands and reports without turning their noses up at us.

analog

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2011
Was it something I said?
In utah they can't sell you a pitcher of margaritas, you buy a pitcher of margarita mix, and they bring each individual at the table a shot of tequila, kinda what you got in mind to separate flavorings? For the life of me I never understood why they would be ok with selling shots of straight tequila but not margaritas?

I think it would be easier. To get around the flavored cig ban they just started calling them flavored cigars. We just have to start calling them ecigars instead of ecigs and flavors would be fine, right? BTW, am I the only one who would actually like to try an ry4 cake?

Valdrak

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Indeed it would be possible to still buy flavoring. Set up another website that has absolutely nothing to do with vaping with many different flavors.

Sell flavorless juice from the vaping website and mix. Fill your cartos. That is not illegal... just as analog pointed out about the margarita thing.

The primary thing behind the flavors... which I sort of understand... is so that children won't think its the cool thing to do, because it has all of their favorite fruit flavors.

I am a mad fanatic of bloog cherry and vanilla, just ordered me 25 of each.. mm mm!

Gardner808

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2011
GA
For some reason they make a distinction between pipe/cigars and cigarettes. You can have flavored pipe tobacco and cigars but NOT flavored cigarettes. Hence the recent banning of Djarum Blacks (the most awesome clove cigarette ever). They were brought back to market as cigarillos and they sucked.

They believe that kids will be attracted to flavored cigarettes but that kids won't make the leap to cigars, cigarillos or pipes. Go figure.

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
Now how does that make any sense?!? OK to flavor a cigar and not a cigarette? Same thing with the margarita. Geez, the mind boggles.

And while the idea of mixing our own will get around that problem, it doesn't really help with prefilled ones. Maybe those could be only prefilled partially, then we top it off with a shot of flavor juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread