• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Good News for our Good Friends Down Under

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
California, CA -- (SBWIRE) -- 01/02/2012 -- Electronic cigarettes are steadily gaining acceptance as a healthier smoking alternative to tobacco cigarettes by authorities all across the world; and the latest one to join the league of such authorities is the New Zealand Ministry of Health.

The revelation was made recently when the official announcement from the New Zealand Ministry of Health came that it “recommends electronic cigarettes as a healthier alternative to tobacco.” The electronic smoking community is enthralled at this development since their most favored e cigarettes have now gained acceptance as a health-friendly smoking option by yet another country’s government.

For those living in the New Zealand, this news means a lot as the smokers can now enjoy the privilege to smoke anywhere and anywhere without being frowned upon. At the same time, they can smoke without the guilt of ruining their own as well their loved ones’ health while indulging in their smoking mode. The sentiment is echoed in a local resident, Jenny’s excitement over the news. “I am happy beyond expression. It’s like getting an official stamp to my favorite cigarettes….I never felt so free while smoking as I do now.” Another e cigarette reviews fan joined in to share his views and added how he could now “flaunt e-cigs telling everyone in the face that I am smart enough to care for myself as well as the environment.”

Interestingly, electric cigarettes are not just human-health friendly, but are harmless for the environment too. These do not contain carcinogens or emit offensive smoke. Instead e cigarettes emit pure vapors from combustion of nicotine mixed with vegetable glycerin. The fact that an e-smoker gets to enjoy pure nicotine vapor without falling prey to any hazards at all weighs tremendously in the favor of e cigs.

Comparison of e cigs with traditional cigarettes is obvious since the former are modeled on and developed as a better version of their traditional counterparts. “Smoking an entire cartridge of e cigarettes is over 500 times better for the health than smoking one traditional cigarette” informed Prof. Siegel, an MD from the Chicago University in order to assert the point.

The New Zealand Ministry of Health has been prudent enough to recognize and spread to its people the benefits of smoking the best electronic cigarette over the regular ones in time. It is speculated that many more countries would soon follow this suit set up by some of the well developed and leading nations of the world.

E Cigarettes Get a Thumbs up from the NZ Health Ministry

Happy, Happy Vaping, Vapoor ;)

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
Hi Vapoorise,
Thank you- thats brilliant news! Might make it harder for all the raging Nanny state Antis here to justify their mindless ravings about the so called evils of Ecigs,
Yay for New Zealand!
The Kiwis always go their independant way-wish our politicians showed as much common sense as theirs,

Ps. perhaps we can start getting our Nic from NZ soon?)

Last edited:

soundasleep

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2011
Mulgrave - VIC - AU

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
Hate to break the bubble, but this is old news dressed up as a new press release from a vendor.

The original comments were from May last year:
The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: New Zealand Ministry of Health Declares that Electronic Cigarettes are Safer than Tobacco Cigarettes

Yet NZ (just like Australia) is still treating nicotine as a "medicine" and local sale is still illegal :(

Damn.
I guess it's back to the trenches then for Vapers.

SDMagoo

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 6, 2011
New Zealand
www.nakedvapour.co.nz
Hate to break the bubble, but this is old news dressed up as a new press release from a vendor.

The original comments were from May last year:
The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: New Zealand Ministry of Health Declares that Electronic Cigarettes are Safer than Tobacco Cigarettes

Yet NZ (just like Australia) is still treating nicotine as a "medicine" and local sale is still illegal :(

Yep no change here that we know of, our government is making all the right noises but have yet to do anything concrete when it comes to the sale of nic making it difficult, especially for new vapers.

I was speaking to another experienced vaper a week or so back and he has a relative in the medical field that had some insider info/rumour that the law is currently being looked at and a decision was expected early this year.

Note though I said info/rumour. The problem we may face though if they do relax/alter the current legislation is that they may only allow pre-filled cartos only.............which IMO is far from ideal.

kalimist

Oct 9, 2011
New Zealand
The sad thing is that if e cigs get to popular then the government is going to be looking to us for extra tax revenue, they are right royally shafting cigarette smokers and with people giving up because of the cost of cigarettes they will need to generate the money they may end up losing.
I can see them doing this even though as e cig users we are not a drain on the health system, which is aledgedly why cigarette tax is so high.

soundasleep

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2011
Mulgrave - VIC - AU
To the two points above:

1. If the law starts swaying towards prefilled cartos only, then an idea might be to focus on the massive waste problem that creates. It's bad enough with ciggie butts being little toxic bombs, cartos would arguable be worse. Also flys in the face of recycling efforts when your average carto can be refilled at least 10 times before it really needs replacing.

2. If they try for taxation of ejuice then the focus needs to become that e-cigs can act as an NRT for many people. Current NRT methods are not only not taxed (above GST) but are subsidised (at least in Aus, not sure over the ditch). If our government is serious about people quitting then e-cigs should also be considered for subsidy, not taxed.

I think the NZ laws are different to Aus in this regard, but over here the government would have to create a new category to tax ecigs as the tobacco laws specifically state the product must contain actual tobacco.

Methinks this will be a very interesting year...

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
I think there has been so much misinformation peddled by antis and swallowed whole by the public it will probably take 50 years before anyone can say "Nicotine"in mixed company, without starting a fight
,To the general public Nicotine=smoking=lung Cancer.because thats what they are being told.
Not a good enviroment for any sensible laws to evolve.As far as I know, and if I have this wrong, please correct me- but asfaik it's not ever been proven that second hand smoke from cigarettes causes Lung Cancer, yet everyone has run this story, - has this ever been challenged?
Recently there was a story in the media regarding an athelete who unfortunatelydeveloped Lung Cancer,. he had a portion removed from his Lung and now very sensibly moved to the beach for clean air,, he has now embarked on a lawsuit to sue his former neighbours who quite lawfully smoked in their Unit despite his demands for them to stop. He is now suing them for "causing his Cancer"
Will other possible causes for his illness be suggested? or will the Judge award him a gazillion dollars and find against his former neighbours? I can only say I feel for them.
if Judges award big damages to people suing for passive smoking, then insurance companies hike their rates, the City Councils start banning smoking/vaping all over the place, so they are not liable to be sued, apartment buildings likewise, and within a short time there are bans everywhere- and as we know we are still regarded and treated as smokers most of the time.

Last edited:

soundasleep

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2011
Mulgrave - VIC - AU
You've hit the nail on the head with the last few lines. It is true that second hand smoke has never been proven to influence cancer rates (if fact, taken as a whole, the evidence would suggest ETS is no worse for you than car exhaust levels in a suburbian area) but it's not the science that matters, it's the legal ramifactions.

Chris Snowden has written a fanastic piece about the case you mentioned:

Velvet Glove, Iron Fist: Peter Lavac - the whole story

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
You've hit the nail on the head with the last few lines. It is true that second hand smoke has never been proven to influence cancer rates (if fact, taken as a whole, the evidence would suggest ETS is no worse for you than car exhaust levels in a suburbian area) but it's not the science that matters, it's the legal ramifactions.

Chris Snowden has written a fanastic piece about the case you mentioned:

Velvet Glove, Iron Fist: Peter Lavac - the whole story

Hello Soundasleep , thanks for the liink- great to know the fleshed out version -pretty much what it sounded like from the press release! I found some of the comments very interesting particularly the one about the Links between his Dr and the activist antis,
I thought this was a good point -
Quote-
"So they have done what the antismoking fanatics have been doing for the last few decades – bypass scientific and legal scrutiny by making the claim in a press release that goes straight to the public. They also “threaten” legal action to give the baseless claims an air of authority and put the fear of litigation into landlords. The fanatics also know that the dumbed-down media will pose no critical questions and will simply print the story " unquote.

Seems that many think this is a stunt to promote the antis push to get smoking banned in private residences and I think theyre right. Unfortunately the public have been fanned into such a state of fear and loathing that now they are imagining
that even a whisp of cigarette smoke will kill them -I would expect the courts soon to be jammed with neighbours suing each other if this goes to trial and the bloke gets damages,
The very same people who will be loudly condemming Smokers and second hand third hand 14th hand cigarette smoke will very happily don their Lycra on Weekends and ride pushbikes up and down main roads breathing deeply with their noses almost up the jaksie of the Buses, Trucks, and other vehicles spewing out deisel and particles,
Logic seems to have been long ago abandoned in this witch hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread