Good news from the land of ANTZ! Positive article in Medical Journal of Australia!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groth

Dec 3, 2012
Ballarat Australia
Hi! I'm a frequent contributor to the Aussie Vapers forum,
Coming from one of the worst countries for vaping in the world, (Australia, full of snakes and poisonous ANTZ) it is a vape of fresh air. I'll let you know when the expected horrified ANTZ response from Simon Chapman and his ilk come in.

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2012/...d-e-cigarettes

I don't know if anyone on here has online access; (I don't) but I have the paper print article in my hot hands, I've just read it, and overall it is good! They call for relaxing of restrictions on snus and e-cigarettes in Australia, and subjecting e-cigs to lower taxes. Interestingly they call for ENDS (electronic nicotine delivery systems) to be made to look less like cigarettes and banning the red glowing tip, like we discussed in a thread on Aussie Vapers. They are a bit too regulatory for my liking, but it is a huge step forward compared to almost all other articles in the medical literature so far in Australia.

The authors are Coral E Gartner, Wayne D Hall and Ron Borland. I think many of us knew of Coral, but I haven't heard of the other two before. Intriguingly, Ron Borland is part of the VicHealth Centre for tobacco Control. I would have thought it was a hotbed for ANTZ.

They reference Siegel as well as others.

In other good news they mention they are investigators on a NHMRC trial on snus and e-cigs in Australia!

Ron Borland is also part of The International Tobacco Control Policy Evaluation Project. Can we hope against hope that he may influence this body to become slightly less anti e-cig? This might even influence the WHO.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Hi! I'm a frequent contributor to the Aussie Vapers forum,
Coming from one of the worst countries for vaping in the world, (Australia, full of snakes and poisonous ANTZ) it is a vape of fresh air. I'll let you know when the expected horrified ANTZ response from Simon Chapman and his ilk come in.

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2012/...d-e-cigarettes

I don't know if anyone on here has online access; (I don't) but I have the paper print article in my hot hands, I've just read it, and overall it is good! They call for relaxing of restrictions on snus and e-cigarettes in Australia, and subjecting e-cigs to lower taxes. Interestingly they call for ENDS (electronic nicotine delivery systems) to be made to look less like cigarettes and banning the red glowing tip, like we discussed in a thread on Aussie Vapers. They are a bit too regulatory for my liking, but it is a huge step forward compared to almost all other articles in the medical literature so far in Australia.

The authors are Coral E Gartner, Wayne D Hall and Ron Borland. I think many of us knew of Coral, but I haven't heard of the other two before. Intriguingly, Ron Borland is part of the VicHealth Centre for Tobacco Control. I would have thought it was a hotbed for ANTZ.

They reference Siegel as well as others.

In other good news they mention they are investigators on a NHMRC trial on snus and e-cigs in Australia!

Ron Borland is also part of The International Tobacco Control Policy Evaluation Project. Can we hope against hope that he may influence this body to become slightly less anti e-cig? This might even influence the WHO.

Well done Groth! Please keep us informed, as I could not get past the paywall either. :(

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
From out of nowhere, Groth shows up with a shining light on a possible change in attitude and he brings it from a country that has taken one of the most restrictive regulations. Well done! Hopefully something good comes from this. Nothing serves the cause better than getting your opposition from not only taking a strong stance against you, but also agreeing with what you have been saying all along. That type of change rarely occurs.

Hopefully the text of the study will become available and publicized. Apparently Gartner and Hall have been looking at low risk products for at least 5 years, but getting an ANTZ on board can't hurt.

http://pubget.com/profile/author/Coral E Gartner

Groth

Dec 3, 2012
Ballarat Australia
Here's a bio on Ron Borland. He is very prominent in the tobacco control world, to say the least. If he gets on board with vaping, this could be very exciting.

"Ron Borland is currently the Nigel Gray Distinguished Fellow in Cancer Prevention at Cancer Council Victoria (since 2004). Also a Professorial Fellow in both the School of Population Health and Department of Information Systems at the University of Melbourne.

He's worked as a research scientist at the Cancer Council since 1986, including Director (Co-Director) of the VicHealth Centre for Tobacco Control (2000-2003), and before that various positions within its Centre for Behavioural Research in Cancer.

Ron has published around 280 articles in peer reviewed journals (mostly in the top international journals in the field) and have over 100 other publications. Was senior Editor on a prestigious IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer) Handbook on Cancer Prevention (Handbook 12, 2008). He had an H index of 47 as at June 2012.

Has made plenary presentations at major international meetings including the World Conference on Tobacco or Health, 1997 (Beijing), 2006 (Washington, DC), The Society for Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 2007 (Austin, Texas), and International Harm Reduction Conference, 2006 (Belfast). In 2010 he gave the inaugural in-house seminar to the new US FDA Tobacco Regulation Unit on learnings from Australia, particularly around health warnings and product labelling.

His past research has contributed to the development and improvement of mass-media based public education campaigns for tobacco control (eg Borland & Balmford, 2003, Tobacco Control), to the development and implementation of better health warnings on tobacco packaging (Borland, 1997, Addiction, Borland et al 2009, Tobacco Control; Borland et al, 2009, Addiction), to demonstrating the benefits to smokers and non-smokers of smoke-free policies (Borland et al, 1990, Am J Public Health; Borland et al, 2006 Tobacco Control).

He is one of 3 Chief Principal Investigators on the International Tobacco Control Policy Evaluation Study a large multi country survey of cohorts of smokers active in 20 countries. This study has and continues to be funded by a wide range of funding sources, most importantly the US NIH, largely through NCI (Ron has been lead investigator on one project, and either co-chief or associate investigator on several others), from the Canadian Institutes of Public Health (Co-investigator on several) and from NHMRC (CIA on three)."

In terms of the mentioned H value of 47 that he has;
from Wkipedia:

"Hirsch suggested (with large error bars) that, for physicists, a value for h of about 12 might be typical for advancement to tenure (associate professor) at major research universities. A value of about 18 could mean a full professorship, 15–20 could mean a fellowship in the American Physical Society, and 45 or higher could mean membership in the United States National Academy of Sciences.[3] "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread