Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
The Goon isn't at all picky with builds. I've built everything from 28 gauge single coils to dual stapled fused Clapton coils and have been happy with flavor. My standard build is a 10-wrap 3.5 mm 24 gauge dual coil and the flavor is great with 1.5 - 2 holes open. On my other RDA's I go with 2.5 or 3 mm builds, but the 24 mm Goon will fit larger diameter coils. A thicker wick lets juice get to the coils much more quickly -- using the same wire and resistance I can vape at around a 30% higher wattage on the Goon compared to other RDA's by just increasing the coil diameter, even though there are 1 - 2 fewer wraps to reach the same resistance.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
cd11dc98fc847964ee3f8ae2356318f8.jpg
This is an 11/10, 317L, 3MM, .25 ohm, spaced, stuffed with Rayon.

It's about the best flavor build I have extracted from my Goonie. I run this at 60 watts plus and she is a chucker.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
This is an 11/10, 317L, 3MM, .25 ohm, spaced, stuffed with Rayon.

It's about the best flavor build I have extracted from my Goonie. I run this at 60 watts plus and she is a chucker.

I just got in my first order of stainless steel wire. I was running low on Kanthal, and decided to branch out and give nichrome and stainless steel a try. For stainless, I got 100 feet each of 22 gauge, 24 gauge, and 27 gauge 316L.

I built a 10/9 wrap 3.5 mm spaced dual coil with 24 gauge SS316L, which metered out at 0.29 Ω. And it works great! I've settled on 3.5 mm builds in my 24 mm Goon since it easily fits thanks to the 24 mm width of the RDA. The extra 0.5 mm diameter doesn't sound like much, but the larger (thicker) wick that you need to use is able to deliver juice quite a bit quicker than a 3 mm build. But I've only been using Kanthal, so this is my first time using stainless steel.

And I am pretty impressed. The SS316 seems to have a slightly "cleaner" flavor than Kanthal, ramps up (and down) more quickly, and isn't any hotter than my normal build (same specs as the SS316L build I described above, but with 24 gauge Kanthal and metering at ~0.5 Ω). And you can use it in either wattage/power mode or TC mode if your TC mod supports stainless steel builds.

I've been vaping it at 80 watts, which gives great flavor, great clouds, and is a nice warm vape, not hot at all. I can push it much further if I want a hotter vape -- even at 120 watts, it is not a super-hot vape, but it is hotter than I prefer. 100 watts seems to be the limit for me with this build, which has a heat flux of 197 mW/mm².

Last edited:
Reactions: WharfRat1976

Kingdixon

May 9, 2017
Guys, Building the goon is making me crazy,

I literally lost it, i build it like 5 to 6 times a day, and everything is variable and very confusing.

The cause of this is i get vapors tongue like most of the time, so my tongue is working today and the build is awesome, next day no flavor whatsoever, while i am pretty sure i got vapors tongue, i just keep changing builds and rewicking like crazy,

Too much variable situations : coil high or low, closer to airflow or closer to the the posts, can it handle too much cotton or the smaller the better, and most of my trials are lost in the many days of vapors tongue.

So can i hear the best coil placement for each of you ?

i feel its better with the coil closer to the airflow, but ALL THE REVIEWS video stick it to the posts, to the point that iam starting to think they are just doing a review and getting finished with it regardless of the flavour :D

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon
The cause of this is i get vapors tongue like most of the time, so my tongue is working today and the build is awesome, next day no flavor whatsoever, while i am pretty sure i got vapors tongue, i just keep changing builds and rewicking like crazy,

Are you switching out juices or doing unflavored for a day?

Might help with the vape tongue.

Kingdixon

May 9, 2017
Are you switching out juices or doing unflavored for a day?

Might help with the vape tongue.

Well, i actually hate vaping two tanks of the same liquid, so my max of the the same liquid is like 2 to 3 ml, and i am changing between about 7 flavors, never tried unflavored, i drink lots of water, rinse with minty mouth wash.

The best that could happen is feeling a little sugary flavor but not the flavor itself.

and each couple of days i get a day with superb taste buds but then two days numb.

I think i need a visit to a doctor, which is a bit heavy step for me but will have to take it eventually :D

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Guys, Building the goon is making me crazy,

I literally lost it, i build it like 5 to 6 times a day, and everything is variable and very confusing.

Too much variable situations : coil high or low, closer to airflow or closer to the the posts, can it handle too much cotton or the smaller the better, and most of my trials are lost in the many days of vapors tongue.

So can i hear the best coil placement for each of you ?

i feel its better with the coil closer to the airflow, but ALL THE REVIEWS video stick it to the posts, to the point that iam starting to think they are just doing a review and getting finished with it regardless of the flavour :D
I personally see no reason to rewick, let alone rebuild, when changing flavors in my goon. i have 5 tanks in rotation (building a 6th today) with different flavors and 5 other flavors in rotation just for my goon which is wicked with rayon in a 6 wrap ss316 clapton 26/36. When I want a different flavor I just drip a different juice in it. The first puff or 2 is a mix of flavors then it switches over to the newly dripped flavor.

Reactions: Don29palms

Kingdixon

May 9, 2017
I personally see no reason to rewick, let alone rebuild, when changing flavors in my goon. i have 5 tanks in rotation (building a 6th today) with different flavors and 5 other flavors in rotation just for my goon which is wicked with rayon in a 6 wrap ss316 clapton 26/36. When I want a different flavor I just drip a different juice in it. The first puff or 2 is a mix of flavors then it switches over to the newly dripped flavor.

Well, i am not rebuilding or rewicking because iam changing liquid or flavor,

its because i get vapors tongue, so iam not tasting anything and even though i know its just vapors tongue, i can't stop doubting that something wrong happened to the build so i keep rebuilding, moving coil positions, changing from kanthal to claptons to SS.

I think it is a mental thing with me :D but i just can't help it, even though last time the flavor was amazing, i kept telling myself " iam not changing this build even if i get no flavor from it some other day, it will just be vapors tongue" but next day i just changed it when i tasted nothing :D

Also the problem is that i have made countless builds to the extent that i became confused on what is the best build and coil placement, but at least i know coil material will make no difference because i got amazing flavor from nearly all coils even simple kanthal, but i have no idea where is best position to place the coils.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Well, i am not rebuilding or rewicking because iam changing liquid or flavor,

its because i get vapors tongue, so iam not tasting anything and even though i know its just vapors tongue, i can't stop doubting that something wrong happened to the build so i keep rebuilding, moving coil positions, changing from kanthal to claptons to SS.

I think it is a mental thing with me :D but i just can't help it, even though last time the flavor was amazing, i kept telling myself " iam not changing this build even if i get no flavor from it some other day, it will just be vapors tongue" but next day i just changed it when i tasted nothing :D

Also the problem is that i have made countless builds to the extent that i became confused on what is the best build and coil placement, but at least i know coil material will make no difference because i got amazing flavor from nearly all coils even simple kanthal, but i have no idea where is best position to place the coils.

Have you tried going to a max vg juice? I make my own juice and it's 85 or 90 vg/ 15 or 10 pg. That might help get rid of the vaper's tongue.

P.S. I have a love hate relationship with my Goon. Love the build deck but hate the mediocre airflow.

Kingdixon

May 9, 2017
Have you tried going to a max vg juice? I make my own juice and it's 85 or 90 vg/ 15 or 10 pg. That might help get rid of the vaper's tongue.

P.S. I have a love hate relationship with my Goon. Love the build deck but hate the mediocre airflow.

Well, that might be a good idea to try and in time.

I never made diy liquid before, but i ordered some flavors couple of days ago to create some recipes as my first diy, i might try 2 30 ml bottle with a max vg to see how it will work out.

What do i expect from max vg, less flavor than 70 30 but should put taste buds to some rest ?

Well, what do you hate about the airflow, mechanism of how it works, or just the feeling when you take a pull ? I find it pretty smooth and normal with two holes only.

I like it same as my kylin and troll but more than my serpent rdta and baby beast.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Well, that might be a good idea to try and in time.

I never made diy liquid before, but i ordered some flavors couple of days ago to create some recipes as my first diy, i might try 2 30 ml bottle with a max vg to see how it will work out.

What do i expect from max vg, less flavor than 70 30 but should put taste buds to some rest ?

Well, what do you hate about the airflow, mechanism of how it works, or just the feeling when you take a pull ? I find it pretty smooth and normal with two holes only.

I like it same as my kylin and troll but more than my serpent rdta and baby beast.
What's nice about diy juice is you can add more or less flavoring to get the flavor you want. I use 100mg vg base nic. I also use Flavor West flavorings that are usually very good at 10%. That's why most of my juices come out at 90vg/10pg.
As for the Goon it's ok but the airflow is restrictive to me when it's wide open. I'm sure it's just me. My everyday setup is an Elits gen 2 w/bf pin and the smallest air hole closed on a Drone. I like big dense flavorful clouds. The Goon just isn't enough for me but it's ok. I like my Apocalypse or Icon better for small RDAs. My favorite RDAs are:
1. Elite w/ bf pin
2. TM30 w/ bf pin
3. Sherman w/ bf pin
4. Mask 30mm w/ bf pin
5. Buddha v2
6. Mason Gemini 2
7. Apocalypse w/ bf pin
8. Icon w/ bf pin
9. Goon w/ bf pin
The rest of my RDAs aren't even worth mentioning at this point.
For tanks I use my Engine or my Crius Plus quad coil the most, usually when I'm in the car with the kid or indoors.

Kingdixon

May 9, 2017
What's nice about diy juice is you can add more or less flavoring to get the flavor you want. I use 100mg vg base nic. I also use Flavor West flavorings that are usually very good at 10%. That's why most of my juices come out at 90vg/10pg.
As for the Goon it's ok but the airflow is restrictive to me when it's wide open. I'm sure it's just me. My everyday setup is an Elits gen 2 w/bf pin and the smallest air hole closed on a Drone. I like big dense flavorful clouds. The Goon just isn't enough for me but it's ok. I like my Apocalypse or Icon better for small RDAs. My favorite RDAs are:
1. Elite w/ bf pin
2. TM30 w/ bf pin
3. Sherman w/ bf pin
4. Mask 30mm w/ bf pin
5. Buddha v2
6. Mason Gemini 2
7. Apocalypse w/ bf pin
8. Icon w/ bf pin
9. Goon w/ bf pin
The rest of my RDAs aren't even worth mentioning at this point.
For tanks I use my Engine or my Crius Plus quad coil the most, usually when I'm in the car with the kid or indoors.

Well, that's some equipment, the vaping market in egypt is not that big and since vaping equipment is prohibited here, so i have only seen the icon and the apocalypse out of that lot.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
I've found that the RDA design, coil placement, airflow and wicking are all more significant in flavor production than the coil. I'm thinking of getting a Goon, so I would be interested in your findings.

Fairly stated a Goon can handle most any build you toss on to it. I've yet to place 316 SS on one, simply not gotten there yet. Most often I use 28 awg Kanthal / Nichrome80A, sometimes I do up twisted builds. Currently, I'm using Muji organic cotton for wicking & wicking about the same as I would for Rayon. The Goon does real good, I usually use two by two on the air flow holes. Run from .2 to .6Ω net build.

ETA: I use a 3 or 3.5 mm ID for coils, missed writing that in, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread