Status
Not open for further replies.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
So this morning I was washing out and building a new Genny atomizer...

Got done with the coil and went to fire it on my Stingray X in Hybrid mode...

Well, I overlooked the fact that the 510 pin wasn't adjusted far enough beyond the 510 threads to make good contact with the positive terminal of the battery, and when I fired it (small pulses) the Stingray got very hot very quick, so I sat it outside on my patio just in case anything bad was about to happen. Keep in mind here, I didn't have this thing firing for a minute, or even 10 seconds... I think it took two or three 1 second pulses, it was that quick.

I'm happy to say nobody got hurt, the battery didn't vent off, and everything is fine with the exception of the battery.

I was pleased to find that the LG HE4 battery I was using basically killed itself as soon as it saw a dead short and reached too high a temp before going in to thermal runaway... Not sure if this was the intended result of the PTC safety built in to the battery, or if it perhaps has a fuse... Not sure... Not so sure I NEED to know exactly what happened, but the battery now reads 0 volts. It's dead...

Maybe I got lucky, or maybe this battery saved my ....... If I was lucky, then thank the lord... If the battery saved my ...., then mad props to LG for building in dead short safety to the HE4 battery!

Either way, the moral here is... Even us veterans of vaping and mechs that "know our stuff" can still make mistakes. Always double check your build and equipment BEFORE firing it for the first time.

I probably dodged a bullet... Will hold this moment as a lesson learned, and gain knowledge from my failure...

Stay safe folks! These mods we're using can be DANGEROUS, even with the most honest of mistake made.

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
Either way, the moral here is... Even us veterans of vaping and mechs that "know our stuff" can still make mistakes. Always double check your build and equipment BEFORE firing it for the first time.

QFT

I've failed to follow my own advice on occasion about double-checking things . . . I killed one battery last summer in a similar situation. Thanks for sharing your story, perhaps the lesson will be taken to heart by some of those who don't see the need or can't be bothered to check their builds and/or equipment :)

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Same mech, same issue(ish), and the reason I joined ECF.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/652594-mech-mod-pyrotechnics.html

I'm really glad you didn't get injured. Mech mods are unforgiving, hybrid adapters a less so.

Wow, hope your fingers are okay! Your story is a lot better lesson learned than my own... For whatever reason I can't see the pic in the post, which is too bad. I'd have liked to see what the stingray looked like after the event was over. Did it contain the battery? Or did it blow apart?

I suppose lucky enough for me I have put some considerable effort into getting the button on my stingray nice and smooth so it doesn't bind.

It's an authentic Stingray X too, so I would have been mega peeved with myself had I blown it up by doing something careless.

Kinda peeved about wrecking the battery, but better to lose the battery than my fingers, my mod, my kids/dog/cat or whoever else may have come downstairs while I am screaming trying to dodge the flying ecig on fire... LoL, I don't mean to make light of your story in the least, I just find there to be a small bit of humor in dangerously stupid behavior. Hope you don't mind...

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Wow, hope your fingers are okay! Your story is a lot better lesson learned than my own... For whatever reason I can't see the pic in the post, which is too bad. I'd have liked to see what the stingray looked like after the event was over. Did it contain the battery? Or did it blow apart?

I suppose lucky enough for me I have put some considerable effort into getting the button on my stingray nice and smooth so it doesn't bind.

It's an authentic Stingray X too, so I would have been mega peeved with myself had I blown it up by doing something careless.

Kinda peeved about wrecking the battery, but better to lose the battery than my fingers, my mod, my kids/dog/cat or whoever else may have come downstairs while I am screaming trying to dodge the flying ecig on fire... LoL, I don't mean to make light of your story in the least, I just find there to be a small bit of humor in dangerously stupid behavior. Hope you don't mind...

That's probably one reason those "jackass" movies are so popular. It kinda IS funny, in a very dark way.

I felt kinda this way about an Uninterruptible Power Supply box I had for my PC; it just "died" inexplicably, and naturally I was peeved, I paid about $50 for it. But my son, the brilliant child, says the fact that IT died is probably what saved my PC. In that perspective, good job, UPS box, you saved me many hundreds of dollars with your $50 self! :D

Andria

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I don't mean to make light of your story in the least, I just find there to be a small bit of humor in dangerously stupid behavior. Hope you don't mind...

I saw the humor in it, her indoors did not. The mod/battery was a solid lump of scorched slag.

GAOb6Up.jpg

nXpCNYs.jpg

Time not important. Only life important.
MIF33xF.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread