RDA Got my Hobo v3 - comparison against Derringer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Vaako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
CT
Just built my coils a little while ago and this thing doesn't disappoint! Here's my review. The Derringer has been my favorite rda for a while now, and considering the similarities in size, it only makes sense to compare the two.

Recommended Build
Running 2 vertical parallel coils (6 wraps of 26g g-plat elite) @ .12ohm with a Trinity Copa drip tip. Wicked with Cotton Bacon. I recommend twisting the end of the cotton and feeding down through the coil. You can then pull it through the bottom and snip the end of the cotton almost as close as you can to the top of each coil. That part is key, then trim around it some more with scissors. Leave barely any cotton coming out of the top of each coil.

Results
This thing is great so far. I'd put it up there with the Derringer in terms of flavor and thick, warm vapor. I'm vaping the same coils as I have in the Derringer (except horizontal) - same ohm at the same power (100w) and getting same results. Both are also authentic.

What's included
I got it from VaporDNA and you get a competition cap, but I hate those things. It's the same one they gave you with the old Hobo. I did have a v2 that I liked, but this is better. It comes with a regular trip as well (even if you don't buy it from VaporDNA). You also get an allen key for the posts. The center post is gold plated and looks adjustable, but I'm not sure about that. The key does not fit it, so I have my doubts.

Utility
The deck is so easy to build on, especially for vertical coils. You can cram so much cotton in there, so it holds a ton more juice than the Derringer. It's not hot even at sub-ohms. No spit back, even if you vape right after dripping. I haven't had any leaks. I'm sure it will leak though if you lay your mod on its side right after filling, but I can't see it happening as easy as the Derringer. If you leave the full slot open on both sides, it's equivalent to 3 holes on the ring, so close it off a little if you prefer 2 holes on the Derringer like me.

Size and Looks
It's slightly taller than the Derringer, but it's not a goofy looking monstrosity like many other RDA's. Looks great on a box mod or a mech. If you wanted a short chambered RDA that you could toss into the pocket of your shorts when you're on the go in the summer, this will hold more juice and will be less likely to leak.

If you can find one, I highly recommend buying it. You'll also get a lot more mileage out of your cotton in vertical coils than a standard build (assuming you get busy and can't re-wick).

Last edited:

sgobots

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2014
Berlin, Maryland
I have a Derringer and Hobo v2.1. Love the Derringer, and for the life of me can't get into the Hobo. I really want to love it, but I've tried every type of build on it and just can't fall in love like I wanted to. I've even tried nickel on a dna 40.

So I guess my question is how you think the v2 stacks up against the Derringer so I can have a point of reference?

Lord Vaako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
CT
I like the Derringer better than the v2 overall and for me over the v3 as well, but not if i have to throw it on a mech in my pocket. Once you get the build down it's good. Wicking it right makes all the difference and that will be the case again. This one is so easy to build on. I wouldn't say the flavor and vapor production are better, but about the same...maybe slightly better on the Derringer...it's close. I'd say it's definitely better for someone new to RDA's because it can be rebuilt so quick and is more practical for all around use. I'd take it any day over the Aeolus or anything else.

Bubbaa913

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2014
Kansas City
I have a Derringer and Hobo v2.1. Love the Derringer, and for the life of me can't get into the Hobo. I really want to love it, but I've tried every type of build on it and just can't fall in love like I wanted to. I've even tried nickel on a dna 40.

So I guess my question is how you think the v2 stacks up against the Derringer so I can have a point of reference?
Lol that's funny cause I'm the exact opposite with my hobo.

sgobots

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2014
Berlin, Maryland
Lol that's funny cause I'm the exact opposite with my hobo.

What's funny is a couple minutes after writing that reply, I decided to mess with it again. I put in 26g quad coils, and sure enough...I finally enjoy the crap out of it! So.....thanks for inspiring me with your original post!

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Almost pulled the trigger on this, but then a saw RiP's review and a couple website reviews that mention the problems with the outter barrel not staying in place (slipping down). I wouldn't mind spending $30 on a clone and dealing with that issue, but I won't spend $100.

Almost pulled the trigger on this, but then a saw RiP's review and a couple website reviews that mention the problems with the outter barrel not staying in place (slipping down). I wouldn't mind spending $30 on a clone and dealing with that issue, but I won't spend $100.

The slipping down of the outer barrel is likely due to a defective o ring. The remedy is have the o ring replaced and it is good to go. The Hobo 3 that I received is in perfect condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread