Not open for further replies.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Hello there!

I got the KR8 I ordered because I wanted to see what the fuss is about. Otherwise, I am very happy with my 510 and the occasional 901, thank you very much.

As I had never tried a KR8 before, I have a question: The vape out of that thing is so hot, it nearly burns my lips and tongue. In fact, if I vape it for more than a minute, it does burn them. I am fairly certain that is not exactly how it is supposed to be, but I thought I'd better ask.

Also, is there a youtube vid that shows how to refill the cartomizer with a syringe? I believe there are three methods, opening it, syringe, and dripping into the lower hole. I saw the first and last method, but no syringe. Did I miss any?

Thanks,
Alex

Vapor Pete

The Vapor Pope
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
Rochester, NY
Can't chain vape the same cartomizer either. Take a few puffs off one and rotate. I was keeping about 7 on rotation at a time. Do not let them get hot and keep filled. I personally don't like the battery-end dripping method...This will kill auto batts if you are using them.

Weird experience your having. My wife and I pretty much chain vape our carts till they dry out. Then we drip in the battery end until the atty dies. And the only thing that has killed our auto batteries is time.
I will concede that way back when we first started using the cartomizers, some did seem to get hot, but thats an issue that we havent delt with in a long time. I would consider where you're getting your carts from. Maybe they're just poor quality??

-VP

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Randyrtx, thanks for the link, had not found that one, and I wanted to try various methods of refilling.

The cartomizer was an empty one, always safer in Germany to order no liquid whatoever with hardware. Also, that way it is easier to compare tastes. I filled the cartomizer by removing the top, and dripped (slowly, evenly spread) 21 (fairly smallish) drops of liquid into the filling, and put the top back in. Instructions usually say 18-20 drops, or about 1ml capacity, which should be around 20 drops. (It's 21 because it is 2/3 KML and 1/3 Cappuchino.)

It's also not so much the cartomizer itself that gets hot - my 510ers get considerably hotter. It's the vape itself, after the first or first two drags, that is so exceptionally hot that I cannot vape on. I also always vape rather slowly, at least when I am at home. And the battery is a manual, so even if I'd overfill (which I don't think I did) it could not damage the battery. I've right now tried three puffs which were exactly 5 seconds, with +10 seconds between puffs, and even the first one was quite warm, and the third one definitely too hot.

And carts are from heaven gifts, so quality should definitely not be an issue.

Last edited:

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Actually, I don't think I will do much refilling if I can't vape them because they burn my mouth. So, my most important question again: Is it in any way normal that the vapour itself is that hot? Or is it a known problem, preferably with a solution?

Where did you get your kr808 from? You seem to be the very rare one with a problem of this sort. My cart gets warm, not hot. And I don't think it is a common problem.

Is it hard to draw from the cartomizer?

One thing a lot of new users overlook is where the tape is on the cartomizer. If you don't see the metal ridges on the bottom of it then the tape is covering the air holes causing the cartomizers to overheat. A few of my first cartomizers were like that and I thought they were duds before I realized it.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
This is where I have the cartomizers from. I have never had a quality problem with anything from them, and nobody else I know had one, either. (Lots of people in the German forum order there.) That does of course not rule out a bad cartomizer, but it makes a general problem somewhat unlikely.

I tried the 901 whistle tip, have some of those, although I prefer the normal flat ones. Funny result: I did not expect any improvement, since really hot vapour would hardly cool on another half inch. But not only is the vape very cool now (and I mean "very" as in "probably too cool"), the cartomizer starts to gurgle!?! Put the original top back on, scalding hot vape. Whistle tip again, lots of cold vape, gurgling noises, and very hard to draw. I sincerely hope this is not standard KR8. Tried the same again, same result. At least that rules out a problem with the battery.

I guess I'll have try a second one. Another ml of perfectly good juice :(

The coil, btw, was properly centered. Checked that because one of the Youtube vids I did find mentioned it. I also do not get even a slightly burned taste, and the filling looks OK.

Edit (no need for another comment that quickly): Just filled a 2nd cartomizer. Well, it does not get scaldingly hot like the first one, but still quite warm. (Tried more 5s dar + 10s pause.) Will check more tomorrow, somehow, I don't taste things properly tonight.

Sol-Blackguy: By "metal ridges" you mean the 4 air holes at the bottom of the cartomizer? Those were indeed partially covered, I pushed the paper down with my thumb, and there may have been a slight improvement. Was not checking too thoroughly, because the vape was still pretty hot.

Last edited:

stormy1

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
IL USA
"Scalding" hot is definitely not normal, but I have found the vapor to be far warmer than on a 510. That was in fact one of the first things that struck me about cartomizers when I first started using them.
yep, I like the hot vapor.
I had one that did get to hot and it was because the holes were partially covered.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Well, I partially removed the paper around the cart, for maybe 2mm. And I blew through that cart, because somebody told me it might be liquid in the middle. Did both help a little bit, so I can only suppose there are several small things wrong with that one.

The second cartomizer also gets very warm, but nowhere near that hot. Vaping that is not a problem, but I'll postpone testing taste till tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread